Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Need advice picking my bus, are new buses bad 2010?

Soo I finally made it to the point I’m about ready to grab a bus and start this build journey. I’m between 3 buses

A 2010 bluebird cummins 6.7 100k miles 40 ft rear engine
The bigger Allison I think

A 2001 38 ft bluebird with a 5.6 rear engine 100k

And a 2000 hospital activity bluebird 100k with those nicer activity windows and storage it’s a front engine 24 valve cumins I think that would mean it’s a 5.6 from the guys description

I’m eager to start obviously , but terrified of making a bad engine choice . The 2010 looks great has very low rust and is obviously the newest

My questions are should I run from the newer buses because of emissions problems , is it that bad? What are these deletes good? Will it avoid all my problems in general or cost more
I know a little about engines but the emissions thing is beyond me and I don’t want to walk into a giant problem. I really want the bus that will last the longest and be the least hassle . Should I go to any of the other buses ? Most of my other options are 5.6 and I hear mixed things as far as power.

Really hope I can get some good directions. Ideally I’d like a 40 ft bus

10thplanetroyaloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
The 2000 is also a 5.9l. You are correct that a 2010 has electronics and emissions to contend with but that's not to say its less reliable, its still a good engine.

I think biggest factor is what kind of driving do you want to do? If mountains, the 5.9s will be slow but with a good transmission will endure. If California then emissions is required.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
While the motors may be reliable, the electronics may not be. They were hard to disgnose, expensive to fix, and not unusual to malfunction. Most of us shy away from anything newer than an 04. The 5.9 is only desired over a 444, but no ones favorite for a road bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #4

Also I’m In MIchigan

I’m in Michigan also , don’t plan to be driving all the time , just living in it and going on weekend and week long trips . Not like living on the road driving every day style is what I’m saying . And I doubt much mountains for now
Old 08-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #5

Also I’m In MIchigan

I’m in Michigan also , don’t plan to be driving all the time , just living in it and going on weekend and week long trips . Not like living on the road driving every day style is what I’m saying . And I doubt much mountains for now

If you guys could give me your opinion on what to pick and look for please tell me
Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Then it sounds like the 2000 or 2001, whichever one you prefer.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluebird, cummins 5.9, cummins rear engine, emmisons