Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

to the OP,

when you get to Wisco send me a PM if you need help with anything - i'll be in state until end of September probably. have a good drive bud

superbusWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If it's under 26k, has no seats, and the title says BUS, does not make it a commercial vehicle. Other things may decide if a CDL is needed, but it's not because it says BUS on the title.
Read my post......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Read my post......
You said
if it has a GVRW of over 26k or seats 16 or more, you must have a CDL unless it is an RV

If it says Bus on the title, is less than 26k, and has seating for less than 16, it is not a commercial vehicle. What am I missing? The reason you state fro requiring a CDL has nothing to do with the name BUS on the title.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You said
if it has a GVRW of over 26k or seats 16 or more, you must have a CDL unless it is an RV

If it says Bus on the title, is less than 26k, and has seating for less than 16, it is not a commercial vehicle. What am I missing? The reason you state fro requiring a CDL has nothing to do with the name BUS on the title.
You almost got it.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
You almost got it.
Again, what am I missing?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Varies by state.

Here in WA, if it has a GVRW of over 26k or seats 16 or more, you must have a CDL unless it is an RV.
That is pretty much it.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I don't know that the OP will have the seats removed before the maiden voyage so that 'triggers' the commercial vehicle qualification in my understanding. States have different standards as PNW_Steve said but they also have to exceed to federal DOT minimum qualifications for interstate certification which is why I maintain that while the OP can take a certain calculated risk and plan on sweet talking if he does run into LEO along the way, it seems we would be sending him ill-informed to just keep chanting 'its not a bus, its a personal vehicle' on his way to the slammer for violating federal DOT regs.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I don't know that the OP will have the seats removed before the maiden voyage so that 'triggers' the commercial vehicle qualification in my understanding. States have different standards as PNW_Steve said but they also have to exceed to federal DOT minimum qualifications for interstate certification which is why I maintain that while the OP can take a certain calculated risk and plan on sweet talking if he does run into LEO along the way, it seems we would be sending him ill-informed to just keep chanting 'its not a bus, its a personal vehicle' on his way to the slammer for violating federal DOT regs.

thats the issue every state is different.... some states the vehicle itself dictates the licensing requirements, other states the use-case (ie not for church not for event not for commerce) dictates the driver licensing requirements..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
The OP should be so lucky to be sent to a Club Fed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
An hours' or two work with a reciprocating saw, perpendicularly cutting the seats off at the ankle and hip, would negate the bus' pax carrying capacity.
Take the stubs out later at leisure, but flip the seats over the metal punjis to minimize the impalement hazard.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #50
Bus Geek

I would be willing to put money on the fact that most police officers are unaware of the 16 passenger rule. Keep in mind he's discussing seats with you after he pulled you over for doing something else stupid. You could be completely legal and still get the AH State Trooper that will find something wrong if he's having a bad day and doesn't like your haircut. After showing all the paperwork for the sale and showing the officer you're taking it straight home to convert by removing the seats, chances are they will understand. I think they would care more if you had 16 passengers instead of seating for 16.
Driving a decommissioned bus without a CDL endorsement will hardly end you up in the slammer.
Go to the "I got pulled over by LEO" thread and see how many have had issues with seating capacity. I'm telling you, I and most of us know more about bus titling. registration and whats legal in our buses than 95% of the LEO's out there
Old 05-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Yeah, but they're the ones packing!
(Citation pads, too...)
"Ignorance of the law is no defense." Educating the ignorant may not be the best course of action, but if it's all one's left with...
Old 07-31-2019, 08:50 PM   #52

I drove my bus back from Texas to Wisconsin in May also. The person I bought it from was able to register it as an RV before I flew down there. So I had no issues with that on the drive back north!
esspiper is offline   Reply With Quote