Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Skoolie

new bus home

hi all, got my new ( e-bay bus ) home the yesturday. it made the 120 mile trip no probs. thats not very far but at 50 to 55 mph. its a long drive it is a 1981 international / wayne, with the life gaurd body. it is only 20 feet long. a S SERIES the chassis is. flip top front end. the body is rust free.thats a miracle comming from the great north west. the bus its self has like 40 some odd thou. on it. i got all the documentation on the bus that the school district had. the first distric to have it ran it on propane and the guy i bought it from said nobody drove it cause they didnt want to put propane in it. the second district to own it took th motor out and completly rebilt it and put her back to gas. engine is a 345 C.I. with a allison 4 speed auto. the running gear is HEAVY DUTY for a short bus. the wheels are the 11x 22.5 like big bus wheels. why did they put that 345 in a heavy bus like that. seems way under powered. and sloooow. seems the 392 ihc motor would of been better. money i supose. it is a total tank, but i love it none the less has any one ever owned on of these beasts? well, gotta go work on my bus. westport-wayne

westport_wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
The 345 is an industrial motor (just look at all those factory forged internals) and probably has plenty of power. Certainly there are larger buses with the same motor out there. Your transmission and gearing just probably aren't doing you any favors in terms of speed. Besides....having a bus is all about enjoying the drive.

My Wayne body was surprisingly rust free as well. I don't know if it has to do with the continuous panel construction or a different paint process or what, but road salt seems to have been less damaging to my bus than others I see around. Last year the local district had a wheelwell fall out from rust on a TC2000 while it was on the road. I'm sure the students didn't have ANYTHING to do with that.

Anyway...enjoy the new girl.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Only having driven one bus (mine). I can't compare my 392 to the 345, but.....I think it accelerates very well for something so large. When you put the pedal down from a dead stop, it goes at a rate comparable to leisurely driving in a passenger car. It doesn't slow as bad as I expected on hills either. This big old pig has made me a big fan of the 392!!!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
My 345 is pretty speedy. I can outrun most RVs going up hills. It would be nice to have more power but it gets great mpg (for a bus).
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
Bus Geek

steve runs circles around me!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hey westport wayne you got any pictures of your bus?
foggymorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
Skoolie

no foggymorn i dont, not on this web site any hows. couldnt figure out how to do it. and i dont think ive taken any of the 81 yet. ill have to get busy and do that. i work 12 hour shifts at a paper mill so i got to work on them when i can. i got 2 shortys. a 1964 -20 foot international / wayne. its the last year with the round back. i mostly gave up on it. to much work. to many things wrong. i just got a 1981-21 foot international / wayne (life guard body style ) off e-bay. it has the higher ceiling than the 64. i also got a 1984 crown ex-skoolie that i fiddle with to. im known as the busman in the small n.w. oregon town i live in. amagine that i also got a 25 foot cornbinder / carpenter bodied parts bus. ill see about takeing some pics with the old digital camera- westport-wayne
westport_wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Dont mean to bother ya about it. just wondering. It was hard for me to figure out also. I did get an album up but could not for the life of me figure out how to post one here. Steve did it for me. he told me to click a quote to see how he did it and I swear I sat here yesterday for an hour just irritaded as hell! clicking on every thing on that page, still couldn't figure it out! I told Steve thanxs though I didn't want him to know I was a moron :P a hell who cares? everyone will know sometime right? I understand the work and time I will go back to school monday. then grades and papers will consume me.....I had a 3.78 but it dropped last quarter to 3.5. that damn stuff they call math these days ! It is a good thing I have an accelorated math student at home to help me with my homework!!! Have a great day mr bus man.
foggymorn is offline   Reply With Quote