Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
bigskypc50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Anaconda,MT
Posts: 148
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Rated Cap: 70
New level of skoolie hate!

been calling around trying to find storage for my bus and talked this place

A Class RV Storage
7950 Jacs Ln NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113

he very rudely told me that being a converted bus, they would not rent to me! Is it just me or is this a new level of hate towards skoolies? To be turned down at storage places now? I think it's getting a little much. Why does everyone hate converted bus's so much?

Lucky I found someone who will happy take my money and let me store there.
__________________
My Skoolie Project:
https://www.facebook.com/skylinerskoolie
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 636
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: Navistar T444E 7.3 Turbo Diesel
People's attitudes about skoolies can often be frustrating.

Early on, I was kicked off a Walmart lot that I guess I overstayed my welcome, was being friendly and chatting with the officer and he asked me if I was homeless. Not if I was a full-time RVer, but if I was homeless.

I've heard of RV parks being the same way, btw. Really solidified my plan to boondock. My solar panels have paid for themselves multiple times over. My go-to rule is you can sleep anywhere for one night.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,209
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Nothing new there. I've been feeling the skoolie hate for decades!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
been calling around trying to find storage for my bus and talked this place

A Class RV Storage
7950 Jacs Ln NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113

he very rudely told me that being a converted bus, they would not rent to me! Is it just me or is this a new level of hate towards skoolies? To be turned down at storage places now? I think it's getting a little much. Why does everyone hate converted bus's so much?

Lucky I found someone who will happy take my money and let me store there.
Good day for you. No money lost. He could have rented you a space. Taken your money and then slashed your tire or tires and then said sorry the camera was broken.

I am pretty much an Optimist.
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 15
Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Told no at the same place six months ago. Their excuse was they did not want work done on the lot and daily access, they were also turning away contractor's trailers and food trucks. They make a great living off of RVs that get touched once a year, no reason for them to deviate their business model.

Careful with what you pick in ABQ, property crime here is ridiculous.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,955
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when i first was looking for a place to stare the bus in florida.. I was denied a couple places that do RV storage because it "Looked like a commercial vehicle".. makes me wonder if an RV storage place is not allowed to store business vehicles..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
makes me wonder if an RV storage place is not allowed to store business vehicles..
-Christopher
I suppose it could be some kind of weird insurance issue.

More likely, I suspect they just don't want their swanky RV owners scared off by the idea of having to mingle with us plebs.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Skoolie
 
BowserJournal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ridge Manor, FL
Posts: 239
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Skoolie hate maybe they are just jealous of our lifestyle! Or they are son entrenched in the I have to have a 9 t 5 job, mortgage payment, student loans so I can be normal. No thanks!
__________________
"Living Our Own Story"
The Bowser Journal
Watch our adventures by subscribing...
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,209
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I believe this to be the origin of school bus hatred-
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Pacific North Wet
Posts: 1,464
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
People's attitudes about skoolies can often be frustrating.

Early on, I was kicked off a Walmart lot that I guess I overstayed my welcome, was being friendly and chatting with the officer and he asked me if I was homeless. Not if I was a full-time RVer, but if I was homeless.

I've heard of RV parks being the same way, btw. Really solidified my plan to boondock. My solar panels have paid for themselves multiple times over. My go-to rule is you can sleep anywhere for one night.
Read the newspaper, watch the news.....

If your RV is worth $150k and you live in it then you are a "full timer".

If your RV is worth $20k and you live in it then you are "homeless".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.