Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Pictures!

So now that I have the bus, of course there has to be pictures!

Warning, she's not wearing any makeup and she's a bit shy....

http://gallery.giffords.net/v/thomas/

Julie, I do believe we have sibling busses. You got lucky and got the 3208T I see. Mine is the 3208-210. Also, being a West Virginia bus, I believe I have mountain gearing (slow and slower). On the interstate, I did hit 65 a few times, but I was scared of seeing 3000RPM on a diesel. 55 was 2500 rpm, and 60 was 2750. I stuck between those two as much as possible. I averaged 8.75mpg on the trip. I suspect changing the gear ratio would help.

My bus is a bit short of 40'. More like 39' or 38.5'. Still, it is so roomy inside I'm quite pleased. I'll have to measure it more precisely than just parking it beside a 40' long structure.

jim

baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: 292 Chevy
Re: New member...

If I were shopping for a new bus I would probably make a relative choice to what I have now.
This bus is easy to work on, it has a huge engine compartment in front but runs a 292 inline 6. So there is room for the engine and me nearly no bolt is not accesible. It is somewhat part bus part hot rod because the 292 is a 4.8 litre engine and runs cool especially with the extra coolant stored in the heater in the busses.

When bus shopping think of your mechanical ability some of them seem like way more than I can handle. I have learned alot wrenching on the Wayne but in the world of mechanics a 292 is like wrenching 101, especially the age, things were simpler then. It sounds like you know what your doing better than me.
shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Tagged and titled...

So I ended up with GMAC insurance, which is only basic liability. Eventually I'll have to find someone to provide better coverage.

Today I took the NC title in to the VA DMV, and had no problems getting it titled and tagged as a motorhome. In NC, it was already titled as a 'HC' or HouseCar aka motorhome. My VA title says it is 'MTR H' body style, so motorhome.

I expected some resistance, but things went quite painless. There were some confused looks a few times, but then I just said "it was a school bus" and they went "ooooh, I understand it now" after the computer pulled up the VIN info.

So now my skoolie is 98% street legal. I just need to get a state inspection. That might be a problem with the 1 bald tire. So I guess I have to buy some tires first.

Anyway, just wanted to update everyone and thank everyone for being so supportive and helpful and friendly here.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote