Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Re: New Owner/Member with Thomas Transit Liner Questions...

If you aren't planning to run a 24V battery bank, then it might be worth your time to replace that alternator with a second 12V alternator for your house batteries. To offset that cost, you could then sell your (tested to be good) 24/28V alternator to someone wanting to run a 24V battery bank, like me!

I would have reservations about running circuits tied to a single battery in a series pack. I personally feel it is better to have a single common ground on the entire vehicle, and doing it that way would mean divorcing the DC circuits from the chassis ground entirely.

Don't forget the KISS principle.

jim

baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: New Owner/Member with Thomas Transit Liner Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
If you aren't planning to run a 24V battery bank, then it might be worth your time to replace that alternator with a second 12V alternator for your house batteries. To offset that cost, you could then sell your (tested to be good) 24/28V alternator to someone wanting to run a 24V battery bank, like me!

I would have reservations about running circuits tied to a single battery in a series pack. I personally feel it is better to have a single common ground on the entire vehicle, and doing it that way would mean divorcing the DC circuits from the chassis ground entirely.

Don't forget the KISS principle.

jim
We wanna KISS as you said. With the solar panel setup in the cabin being 12v we want to keep it the same in the bus, no confusion for the newbie off-the-grid guy. We were planning on 250 watts with 4 gel cells to run our internet business which will be setup in the bus. What amperage 12V alternator do you think would be sufficient? I am again, not an electrical savy kind of guy so any advice is good.

Well I got 2 whole seats out today including your jump seat! It is in good conditon & will come with a belt. We will pack it up & give you the ship cost this week. Hopefully I can get the rest of the seats out tomorrow.
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote