Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New Skoolie checking in

Wow am I glad this forum exists! I knew lots of people have old busses, but I did not expect to find such a great resource as this sight! I was looking for info on how to get better highway performance from ours, and found a ton of info here already.

So an introduction, I'm Mat, my significant other is Meredith, we live in N.E. Ohio, and we both ride dual sport motorcycles. We have a small start up parts business as well, Geauga Power Sports. We ride, and love to travel, I have been to Baja twice, Meredith came along the second time. We have been toting the bikes with an old E350 with a 7.3 idi, but on my first Baja trip I met some nutty Canadians (actually the whole time in Mexico we kept meeting Canadians) who had an old bus with bunk beds, space in the back for bikes, and it seemed like the way to travel with a group. A few years later meredith and I started talking about doing more trips, and started shopping for a bus. Last Saturday we brought home from Detroit a 1992 Ward/International behemoth with a DT360 engine, 4 speed auto, in pretty good shape.

The drive home definitely showed me we have a lot of work to do, and a lot to learn. The owner had warned us it was LOUD going down the highway, especially once the fan engages. We later noticed the gasket around the engine dog house is gone, you can put your fingers right through the gap. 5 hours on the highway with my ipod in my ears just to block the noise. That seems like an easy fix. The second problem is the drivers seat is falling apart, it might as well be on a gimbals mount, what a PITA to drive home. Our 3rd major issue is speed. I do realize we have a pretty big bus with a not very big engine, but man what was a 3.5 hour drive to Detroit became 5.5 to get home. She can only do about 60 MPH with your foot on the floor, at 2700 rpm. I already found the instructional from member lapeer20m on how to turn up the injector pump, that will be taken care of right away, possibly a gear change down the road.

Well, looks like we found yet another home on the web to eat up our time. Anybody need some bus seats?

muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: New Skoolie checking in

Welcome! The adventure has begun!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

welcome! from canada
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
There's some nutty Canadians here too
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Welcome Wabbit!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

yes welcome muddywabbitt smittys new avatar looks like the premiers of the provinces following the canadian prime minister!These are the canuks that need to go for a busride....... can you take them down south?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I don't think the Canadian brain would function well down here as it doesn't get cold enough in the winter for them...

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone! We have been finding a ton of useful info already, and getting lots of ideas from other projects. To give you an idea of what we will be building our bus for, this pic is from our trip to Baja last year. Cross country bike hauling mobile adventure base camp is what we're after.

Earlier this year we opened a motorcycle parts and accessories store in N.E. Ohio (Geauga Power Sports), and we do a lot of promoting on our stores Facebook page. We decided to start a name the bus contest. So far the only suggestions are Muddy Jackalope, Incubus, and Succu-bus (something about what it is going to do to my wallet???).
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Ford V8
Rated Cap: 65

Beautiful Bus!!
BMM70047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

At 2700 rpm you're up on the engine govenor. You could turn that up, and wear your engine out sooner. Turning up the fuel increases your power, if you have the air to burn it. To make it go faster it's best to regear the rear end (and turn up the fuel ).
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote