Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: New to the bus conversion idea

The more you use the rig the longer it is going to last. I know that sounds wrong, but it really is true. Sitting is no good for any vehicle. Diesels and gassers are both going to suffer from problems from sitting though they will be different. That said, my bus sat all winter and just earlier this week my classmates and myself put on about 600 trouble free miles.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
What are the biggest problems you guys/gals have had with your conversion projects?
Answer: Biting over more than I could chew -- at least in one sitting.

Everything takes longer, and costs more, than you first expect. Keep that in the back of your mind, and you will be one step ahead of many of us!
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonan230
I'm thinking about a rig which is half house half green house. Have it divided roughly in half with shower, toilet, washing machine/dryer, Kitchenette, sleeping quarters in half and a green house with all the food necessary for 1-2 people growing. My main problem is going to be closing in the greenhouse area. Anyone have any idea how I could do it?
Sort of...

It's relatively easy to cut the rear (say half) of the bus body off (move the rear cap with the door up to the cutoff) and have a flat bed behind the remaining body. The sides of the flat bed area could be any height you choose. Then fill that with your growing boxes (with light soil). I think you could fasion support hoops for traditional greenhouse material (it has to sustain the wind factor though).

I'd be inclined to just cut away the roof panels (above the side windows...leave the windows installed) and install transluscent fiberglass panels in their place. Install an interior bulkhead between the "farm" and the living quarters so you can control your temperature. With all the bus windows in the greenhouse area you should have plenty of temperature control. If it's too hot and you're parked you could throw a dark tarp over the transluscent panels (install a ladder at the rear of the bus).

Sounds like a fun project!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonan230
Im thinking about a full time house rig, with tank heater and filters for UVO, then cruise the US for a few years before everything cool is gone..
And Im thinking about a deck on the top, anyone done this? Im wondering how safe it would be.
This is a great site for a bus with a deck and being used full time...

http://seanf.smugmug.com/

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote