Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: New to the bus conversion idea

Why wait? Get a bus now! There's several other college type people on here. I don't think that many of us can actually afford this hobby, but we find a way. Skoolie people are the resourceful type! I've been working on my bus for a year now. I still think it was one of the most rewarding and fun things I've ever done. I'd definitely get a diesel bus. You can convert it to bio-diesel or veggie eventually. I plan to do that with my bus eventually. In the meantime, I try to keep the bus driving down to a minimum! Diesel is almost $3.50 a gallon here. It's ridiculous. But sometimes, it's hard to resist taking it for a spin around town. It's fun to see the looks on people's faces as my bus goes by.

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I am one of those college type people and I own a bus. Actually, we're coming up on two years of ownership now. The previous posts are correct. Skoolie owners are incredibly resourceful and patient people. The projects take a long time and a lot of money, there is no denying that, but you will always find a way around it all. Heck, I didn't have anything really when I started my conversion, but once people heard about what I was doing the parts just kind of came together...and affordably. As long as you have long term storage figured out just bite the bullet and do it. It's going to take some time to find that right bus anyway.

Welcome aboard.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

My bus cost way less than a decent used car ($1,500)just look around. After you make the initial investment just pay as you go on the conversion.
My .02
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

...and use everything that you can find for free!
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I paid $2,000 for my bus. Once people got wind of my plans, they all wanted to donate or help in some way. There is never a shortage of people who want to help work on the bus. All of the paint that I used to paint my bus, was free from a guy I know that works for DuPont. People have donated storage space, angle iron, wood, furniture and other stuff. I'm not using all of that stuff, but some of it has come in very handy. If I could just get some donations like new tires, a roof AC, furnace, inverter, wiring, etc. So far, it hasn't been as expensive as I thought it was going to be, but it has been more time consuming. I'm kind of anal about everything being perfect though...
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I bought my bus while I was in college, I parked it on the street a few blocks for the dorms and it was great for taking everyone down to the fields for intramural games.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

That's what's so cool about skoolies. While Matt is taking his time and building his bus just so so. I slapped mine together in 3 months for my grandsons and me to hunt out of. Cheap painted plywood for the bedroom and bathroom walls,cabinetry and refridgerator surround. Rubber floor with throw rugs so that we can track all of the mud that we want to in it. I'll just mop and throw the rugs away every so often.Feed store washtub for the shower pan, portapotty for the toilet, flea market dining table with a homemade bench seat. Etc. I think that you get the idea.
Welcome aboard.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 1988
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Hell yeah, welcome to this unique group of bus enthusiasts! Finding a bus shouldn't be very hard at all. I picked mine up from a school bus dealership - it was a fresh trade from a school district so I knew it had been well-maintained. I was even able to talk the salesman down 400 bucks so I got a good deal on my '88 Chevy. Once the seats are removed you can sit inside and just daydream about what your bus will become. I think you will find that the possibilities are endless and that converting a school bus can be very fun and rewarding. It's a chance to express yourself and be creative. Good luck!

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonan230
Im not sure why my post didnt work but here it is again.
What are the biggest problems you guys/gals have had with your conversion projects.
For me it boils down to:

It can be done Right, Fast or Cheap.

Pick any two.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
How much can I expect to spend for somthing that will last a while?
Depends...how will your bus be used? A few weekends a year for camping, weekly tailgating, fulltime living?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

The more you use the rig the longer it is going to last. I know that sounds wrong, but it really is true. Sitting is no good for any vehicle. Diesels and gassers are both going to suffer from problems from sitting though they will be different. That said, my bus sat all winter and just earlier this week my classmates and myself put on about 600 trouble free miles.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
What are the biggest problems you guys/gals have had with your conversion projects?
Answer: Biting over more than I could chew -- at least in one sitting.

Everything takes longer, and costs more, than you first expect. Keep that in the back of your mind, and you will be one step ahead of many of us!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm thinking about a rig which is half house half green house. Have it divided roughly in half with shower, toilet, washing machine/dryer, Kitchenette, sleeping quarters in half and a green house with all the food necessary for 1-2 people growing. My main problem is going to be closing in the greenhouse area. Anyone have any idea how I could do it?
Sort of...

It's relatively easy to cut the rear (say half) of the bus body off (move the rear cap with the door up to the cutoff) and have a flat bed behind the remaining body. The sides of the flat bed area could be any height you choose. Then fill that with your growing boxes (with light soil). I think you could fasion support hoops for traditional greenhouse material (it has to sustain the wind factor though).

I'd be inclined to just cut away the roof panels (above the side windows...leave the windows installed) and install transluscent fiberglass panels in their place. Install an interior bulkhead between the "farm" and the living quarters so you can control your temperature. With all the bus windows in the greenhouse area you should have plenty of temperature control. If it's too hot and you're parked you could throw a dark tarp over the transluscent panels (install a ladder at the rear of the bus).

Sounds like a fun project!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Im thinking about a full time house rig, with tank heater and filters for UVO, then cruise the US for a few years before everything cool is gone..
And Im thinking about a deck on the top, anyone done this? Im wondering how safe it would be.
This is a great site for a bus with a deck and being used full time...

http://seanf.smugmug.com/

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote