Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: No power

It has been around 10 years since we had a storm take down trees in the yard. That time it happened you couldn't find a store with ice. We had no power for only 3 days. I ended up being a good time to clean the refrigerator out. I did move a lot of the stuff to the chest freezer right next to the refrigerator and over that 3 day period I ended up freezing the milk in there with no power. I guess there is a benefit of never thawing the thing out and keeping it full.

No things would be different since I have a couple generators now and one being a Honda 2000 so I would be very good off until some john doe sees it running and decides to cut the lock of the thing and take it for them selves.

wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek

our power was out at my house the other day too. I used the inverter on the bus to run the referigerator for a few hours before i decided i better dig out the geni and start her up. I have a cheap home depot 6kw geni i bought years ago for my first bus. She's noisy, and consumes 1/2 gallon/hr, but she'll run the entire house, except for the a/c unit. 6kw is more than 50 amps, i don't understand why i can't get the compressor on the a/c unit to fire up...oh well.

i had a honda eu2k, but i sold it this past winter when i wasn't working...i really needed the money. sold it for almost as much as i paid for it originally.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

when I was doing standby power we alwas sized generators at 3 times the max running load of the largest motor to be started and then added all the other running loads.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote