Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Now about those low roofs...

I'm a pretty tall guy, topping at around 6'4" so when I get around to converting a bus, (this summer in Ontario is the plan!) a roof raise is definitely in order.
And I've seen a few different methods of raising it so far, but I'm wondering if anybody has ever completely cut a bus down to a flat bed, and built it up from there? buses look like they need a entire new frame built inside if you lift the roof anyways. I'm also going to be insulation it to survive the winters in northern Canada, anybody done this before? heard if its possible? downsides? major considerations?
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated, I'll be posting the full conversion on here once it gets underway!

Cheers

Recer.in.a.bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Why start with a bus if your going to ditch the shell?

A box truck, or a 53 foot reefer trailer may be better.

I'm all for the full tear down and rebuild. You would also need to remove the floor and start over from the frame up.

Cost, That much new metal is going to cost a bit.

However, here in Alberta, I'm allowed to build a RV up to 10 feet wide. With 4 foot slides built into each side, your main living space would be 17 feet wide with both slides out.

If you have the funds, I would love to see the build. But metal is not cheap.

I live in the same geographic conditions as you. This is a link to my build.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10138

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Raising my bus certainly didnt require an entire new frame for the body at all. I had new 20" sections of 'hat channel' stamped for me by a guy who does sheet metal stampin. Once the roof was cut off and jacked up, those were welded into place. Since they matched the cross-section of the existing bluebird hat channels, it was almost a perfect match with the stock setup. Id say my roof raise only added, at most, 400 lbs of steel.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #4

I did think about flatbeds, but a little harder to come by in this neck of the woods! and cost was my other concern. I've managed to find a few other ideas of raising roofs that seem a little more my speed. thanks for all the help guys!
Recer.in.a.bus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, four seasons, insulation, roof raise, winter