Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Now imagine this as a schoolie!!

found this on Big Lorry Blog

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big- ... ons-a.html

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Now imagine this as a schoolie!!

Isn't that something.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

it would probably go anywhere that it could go without dragging the back end on the ground.

lol 3mpg? or is that being generous?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

The school district I attended as a kid should've used these. It was always the last one in metro Denver, Colo., to remain open when all the others shut down due to snow. The radio broadcasters even rubbed it in by rattling off the closed schools and then announcing that my district was OPEN!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

We're not all as high-tech as Alaska. In one of the tech magazines several years ago, it explained how Alaska DOT can plow when it is snowing so bad the driver can's see his/her hood ornament. GPS mapping of the exact lanes is done on a sunny day, with GPS error correction sent from a beacon at the airport. Following the GPS in the storm, plus infrared camera, radar, or both to warn the plow of something stopped in its lane keeps the highway clear.

Here in the lower 48, after we finish building stadiums with senators' names on them at taxpayer expense, there isn't enough tax money left over to outfit plow trucks with advanced technology. To save on DOT payroll, we got rid of the "wing men" who operate the plows while the driver drives over a decade ago. I think the legislators would stop plowing altogether if they thought they could still get re-elected.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Re: We're not all as high-tech as Alaska

I remember several years ago there was some chitchat between the talking heads on the local TV news, observing that there seemed to be a higher number of rural route mailboxes taken out by plows than in past years. That also happened to be the very first year that all the State plow drivers had to drive solo. Unfortunately, the anchors did not know enough to add two and two.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote