Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: Where do you put your stereo or other electronics?

Just my opinion but you gotta be kiddin us! Do some homework or go away. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

"Just my opinion but you gotta be kiddin us! Do some homework or go away. Jack"

Really? Just my opinion but I thought that's exactly what I WAS doing...? I do plenty of research before I post a question but a lot of the questions I have deal with atypical stuff like this not readily accessible on the internet. I can't just walk into a library and ask the person sitting at the desk about the typical configuration of electronics accessories on school buses converted into motorhomes. I assume they would tell me to find people that have already done a conversion and ask them what they've done.

I thought this was a forum where a group of people who share a common interest can get together and exchange ideas and share their interests? Being told to "go away" after asking questions for which there is no ready answer doesn't strike me as the forum it advertises itself as. I figured it would be more welcoming than that. I am not looking to have information spoon fed to me. I'm merely looking for information from seasoned skoolie veterans to get ideas for my own conversion once I get to that point. If this doesn't qualify as "homework", then what does?

Finally, is this how all members are treated? Just told to "go away"? Unless I've reached some right of passage where I'm supposed to have the right response to a situation if I'm to remain a member and be promoted to the next level? Hmmm.
stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Bus Geek

No worries SS, no offence on this end. Get a bus, do some work, post some pictures and you will become a proven entity--its all good. Jack
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

HA, B1K. I guess you are right. Oh well, I never said I could please everyone all the time but we do seem to have a rash of thin skined newbees of late.

Perhaps our differences (these newbees and me) stem from their notion that this is primarly a theoretical blog-- If I had a bus-----, when I get a bus, etc. which leads to off- the- top- of- the- head questions that even a modicum of real world bus/RV experience or even a minor amount of research on this forum would be recognized by their authors as being too sophmoric to post. As I read others response to these questions I often see replies suggestioning that the posting party read such and such-often several suggestions that are easily found by any of us right here on this forum. Often the questions are so vague as to garner a response like this and I quote, "Again get to the root of what you want to accomplish ... then we can work on the how to get it done part."

I have also noticed that when a seasoned member has taken the time to formulate a complete answer to a simplistic question he is told "no, no. I don't want a technical answer, I just want to know the simple generalized answer". eg. "Bapos, thanks for your replies, but I was wanting to know what was typical for an RV or bus, not a technical write up." Talk about rude.

The forum I joined seems to be more of a hands on sort of thing where questions develop from practical "I've tried this" or "in the picture could someone identify the thus and thus". Questions of this nature foster creativity on the part of our membership rather than serving as a way to promote some misperceived notion that simply posting multiple questions on multiple topics somehow makes the author something more than what he was before.

100mpg You are welcome to your opinion but with 50 odd posts in 4 years I don't see that you are what I would call an avid Skoolie but rather a theorist so I reiterate, "No worries. Get a bus, do some work, post some pictures and you will become a proven entity--its all good. Jack"
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt

100mpg You are welcome to your opinion but with 50 odd posts in 4 years I don't see that you are what I would call an avid Skoolie but rather a theorist so I reiterate, "No worries. Get a bus, do some work, post some pictures and you will become a proven entity--its all good. Jack"
Good thing I don't live my life just to meet your qualifications. I have plenty of miles in all sorts of vehicles and would never give someone an answer like you have. I can see you must have knew it all before you had a bus so there was no need to ask silly questions on a skoolie forum. I can also tell your bus must ride the smoothest since you are above everyone else.

I am here to see what others have done and enjoy the traveling life. I didn't know I would be "put in my place" for not having enough posts.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Sometimes if someone wants to know something, the answers or examples aren't readily available in the forum. This isn't the Library of Congress with infinite information on every subject imaginable. This is a dynamic forum that builds information as it goes along and one of the ways that occurs is when people ask questions that don't already have answers. Just a few days ago, a new forum member started a thread asking a question almost identical to a thread I started asking the exact same question. Fortunately for this thread poster, I didn't have your mentality when I responded by telling him to "go away". I politely referred him to my post and told him there are answers from people that have already been through what he is trying to accomplish and answers would exist there in, and even supplemented it with some advice of my own. I even saw you comment on that thread, but you didn't tell anyone to "go away". So unless I missed something, you selectively enforce your own laws. Why is it that when someone else posts a question that has already been addressed, you comment jovially with deference to that person and disregarding the cardinal sin the person has commited, but when I'm guilty of such a crime, I'm told to "go away"?

As far as "thin skinned", it seems you are thin skinned as well if you took offense to something I said to someone else. It seems you provided your own interpretation of an answer you weren't asked. No one was interested in your opinion of how "sophomoric" my posts may seem. No body asked you how you felt. You just invited yourself in and offered your own opinion of how I'm not conforming to your own skewed version of forum etiquette. Speaking of such, when I joined I don't recall anything concrete about how to behave. I assumed we were all adults and already knew that. There isn't a concrete slab with a ten commandments of forum posting rules, such as "Thou shall not ask questions" and "Speak only when spoken to". But if you like, from now on, I'll get your permission before I post, and I'll make sure a post meets your high standards of quality before it posts. Does that mean that no one is allowed to post questions anymore? Oh wait, that was a question. Looks like I know have to "go away" and sit in time out. I suppose there are other questions as well. I guess I just forfeited my apple juice for the day as well.

And judging someone's merit by the number of posts they have is pretty ridiculous. Some of us have better things to do than sit at home all day comparing their post count with others and thinking that somehow makes them better. I don't know about you, but I have a job and only get on the forum when I have time. I don't literally sit in front of the computer screen eagerly awaiting new threads to reply to offering my sage advice on the forum all day long. Maybe it's a good thing that my post count isn't high for the amount of time I've been a member. And your misconception about me thinking I'm posting just for the sake of advancement in this forum is not true. I don't post questions just to advance my thread count, and I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone else on this forum, except maybe you. I have deference for most members of this forum. The ratio of a forum member's longevity by the number of posts they have indicates how much time they spend in this forum. That means I'm not a post whore that is worried about accruing posts and feeling proud over that. Of course, this isn't true of everyone with a high number of posts in a short number of time. There are other forum members on here that also have a high number of posts in a short amount of time that don't judge their merit on how many posts they can make. To me, it's not a contest. In my opinion, a better gauge of a forum member's worth is a complicated formula calculated by algorithms like longevity, quality of information they post, participation in the forum, and not just count. And telling someone to "go away" because you think they post too many questions takes away from that person's quality, therefore negating the amount of posts that person has. Think about that one, Ol Trunt.

Finally, why don't you take some of your advice and just "go away". That is all.
stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Winter weather getting to everyone?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

wow, let all settle our differences and get back to our busses
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Proconsul100. Done deal. Jack
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Off-topic stuff pruned from Conversion Discussion

It sure is scary to see this fussing, fighting, and bickering on this forum. I may have to do a Rip Van Winkle and take a twenty year nap.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If we can't squabble, criticize, praise, steal each other's ideas and improve upon them on skoolie.net, then just where can we do that? We all have bad days. We all get tired of folks asking the same questions over and over. And we are all amazed at how much some folks think their conversions are worth. We might not say it on here but many more of us think it than post it.

If anyone bugs you too much, then go to your User Control Panel and add them to your Foe List. For example: I have Ol Trunt listed as a Foe (no offense). Why? It's not really anything against him. But sometimes he gets on a tear and bugs the crap out of me. What listing him as a Foe does is allow me to choose if I want to read his posts (by clicking on them), or to ignore them. Keeps the peace between us a bit better. I have several members on my Foe list. If I am in a bitchy mood , then I have to put a little extra effort in allowing certain folks to get me riled up rather than just seeing every "idiot" thing they post. It works more often than not. I can usually, not always, get my temper in check before I post something that could escalate into something nasty. I get to blame menopause, what's you men's excuse?

Do Ol Trunt & I converse sanely? Sometimes. But other times not. We all get a bit thin-skinned at times. But this forum is the only one I post on where the members generally understand that some of us may be having a bad day. Would I mind finding a member of Skoolie.net parked in the same campground as we are? No. I really can't say that about Escapees where everyone had to either be politically correct or adhere to the accepted "Escapee mindset". Leave the squabbling intact. Sometimes we just need to vent a bit.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
It sure is scary to see this fussing, fighting, and bickering on this forum. I may have to do a Rip Van Winkle and take a twenty year nap.
Say all you want and I will defend your right to say it over and over...but I think I may have to follow in Accordion's path.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Yup-walkabout time...

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #14