Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16
Re: OFFICIAL SKOOLIE PET THREAD

The youngest and Ted watching fireworks from the bed of one of my trucks...

He even knows that in Washington State, you take advantage of the sunshine whenever possible...

He's pouting cause everyone left and he had to stay home...

"I swear, it wasn't me... Really Dad..."

Our youngest boy nicknamed him, "Osama 'Ted' Laden"...

dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
Site Team

I swear it wasn't me.....same thing when we come home and Veronica is sitting with same face...we're like "shiat" what is wet! (She loves water and all of her "toys"end up soaking wet....you gotta love your children
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Our little Kali:

Here she is hanging out in the top bunk of the bus. The bunk is in the "up" position, which is why the space is so small:

I have not yet traveled with a pet, but if I see Kali out in the yard when I'm hanging out in the bus I will sometimes grab her and bring her in to the bus, just to get her used to being in there. It might be fun to have her along on a trip, but I would worry about her getting out and taking off. Animals tend to lack that reasoning ability that might tell them, for instance, that if they go out at 10pm on a cold night and then show up at the door at 2am wanting to come back in, well... too bad, I'm a asleep and you are going to be freezing your little butt off for the next 5 or 6 hours. And then she'll do it again the next night, and the night after that, etc. etc. So by the same logic, if she ever got out during a trip, who knows how long we would have to wait around hoping she will return, and thus messing up our itinerary. I know dogs are usually a more intelligent about staying close to their people, but I'm curious how those of you who travel with cats handle the situation. I suppose trained "indoor" cats just naturally want to stay inside, so perhaps it's not so much of an issue. My cat normally comes and goes as she pleases at home, but our home doesn't move at this point.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Dan, perhaps you should get a litter box before you become mobile. Your cat will most likely use it.

Also, I have seen people walk their cats. The cats had harnesses.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Hey, if you wondered where the "Skunky" in "Skunky Bus" came from (hint: not marijuana)...

As I was typing this, one of my gf's ferrets came up as if to say, "What about us?"

Skunks are illegal to own in Nebraska whether they were wild caught or farm/breeder raised. So we have to "settle" for weasels. We did shuttle a skunk in the Winnebago to the Skunk Haven shelter in Ohio. Sweet little soul. His owners had to give him up because they were moving to a place where they are illegal.

Incidentally, even the staunchest skunk advocates warn never to take one of the little stinkers from the wild to make a pet out of it. Rabies is just one thing that can go wrong. All wild animals are, well, wild, and good luck trying to find a vet for one.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
Incidentally, even the staunchest skunk advocates warn never to take one of the little stinkers from the wild to make a pet out of it. Rabies is just one thing that can go wrong. All wild animals are, well, wild, and good luck trying to find a vet for one.
Oh God - do NOT follow that URL if you are eating lunch... Gag!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Dan, perhaps you should get a litter box before you become mobile. Your cat will most likely use it.

Also, I have seen people walk their cats. The cats had harnesses.
I put Little Fat Pita Cat in a harness when we first got her. Had to use a small dog harness because she slipped the cat harnesses too easily. Cats walk you not the other way around. Early mornings before others were up were when she wanted to go for a walk.

I also taught her to use the toilet. wasn't all that hard. I found a book "How to Toilet Train your Cat". There are many on the market. That is just the one I used. Down side is she wanted to "bury" the waste and scratched the plastic RV toilet seat up really bad.

I've heard some folks really like the self-cleaning litter boxes in RV's.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Training cats?! Is that sort of like herding cats? Seems almost like an oxymoron.

I'm not worried about the litter box issue. But for better or worse, I've never put collars on my cats. They are kind of like farm cats, just running wild, killing smaller critters, and coming in for the occasional bit of human contact (and food/water/safe place for a deep sleep). I'm pretty sure Kali would freak out if I tried putting a leash/harness on her. Perhaps it's never too late though... but it would certainly be more difficult now that she has known freedom for so long. My biggest concern is that if we were traveling and forgot to contain Kali before opening the door, she would bolt and we would never see her again. I do have impulsive little kids, who would almost certainly do that. The cat would have to be trained very well to never want to exit the bus.

Browncrown, if you are reading this, I'd be curious to know how you deal with your cats when traveling. Are they just indoor cats with no innate desire to go out?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Browncrown, if you are reading this, I'd be curious to know how you deal with your cats when traveling. Are they just indoor cats with no innate desire to go out?
DD,

TC, my black cat, always goes outside at home. He has been fixed, and he only has one eye, so I'm not sure if his vision problems keep him from leaving the yard or not, but he just stays in his backyard. When we are in the bus, he usually does not bolt for the door. He will go up to the open door and just stays inside. He has been traveling in the bus since he was a kitten, so maybe that has something to do with. He does get a little freaked out at first when the bus is fired up and we start to move. He will crawl under the couch, but after about 15 minutes or so, he's fine. He also grew up with my dogs, so having the dogs on board also helps to calm him down. I have a harness I put on him, but once we get to where we are going, he never goes outside. His favorite activity is getting on the back of the couch and watching the birds through the window The will fly close to the window and he will jump at the glass. He gets really excited when the window is down and he can hear the birds as well.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Here are a few pictures of our two cats.

Sophie

Duchess
syke is offline   Reply With Quote