Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #121
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I only have pets because other folks "love animals" so much.
I really hate when people get all obsessed with owning some specific inbred kind of dog because of how it looks. they go buy one off some sketchy people in a van at a flea market. Then they dump it once it craps in the house a few too many times and the kids have lost interest.
The dog breeding business is SO full of sketchy horrible people. If folks wouldn't patronize them they'd cease to exist for the most part.
Saw a puppy store the other day selling clear plastic backpacks for carrying around a teacup size dog. Free with purchase of any puppy. It was REALLY ghetto, and just heartbreaking seeing that dogs were being bred just to sell in "cute" little backpacks. Like the new isn't gonna wear off that real fast!!!
l see that and worse - every dog sent or brought to me has a story, often more accurate than the one their owner told - some stories are so sad, the dog is almost frantic to tell me it's side of the story - l sat on a lawn chair, listening to such a dog, tell me his story one time - he had told his owners time and time again that he didn't like the toddler pulling his whiskers, poking his eyes, and stepping on his toes, yet they never stopped the child from torturing the dog, or removed the dog to where dog and child were safe, and to top it off they often left the dog alone with the child so he 'could baby sit while the parents worked in the yard - one day the child was alone with the dog, 'Max" hid under the bed to escape the torture - I guess he had done it before because the owners said they thought he was going under the bed because maybe it was cool under there! - - the dog wound up nipping the child in the face, and the **** hit the fan - father insisted that the dog be destroyed because it had bitten his son - I phoned those people and gave them hell - told them their STUPIDITY might cost their wonderful dog it's life and your STUPIDITY may have caused a life time scar on your son's face - 'made mother cry, caused father to decide to rehabilitate the dog no matter the cost - turned out, after making a careful assessment of the dog, he didn't need any rehabilitation, just needed an owner with some common sense - Max's new owner swears he is the best dog she ever had

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
The drug dealing business is SO full of sketchy horrible people. If folks wouldn't patronize them they'd cease to exist for the most part.

Just try to change human nature.

Gandhi or someone like that said the world will know peace only when every individual finds it within his or her self. And the wars go on, the junkies kill themselves, and the "pets" get abandoned.

My dogs taught me that having a "pet" is like having an entertainment slave. A court jester for all the kings of the castles.

They should be family, or left to be wild.
Exactly. Why I don't buy from dealers.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #123
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Exactly. Why I don't buy from dealers.
Skoobie Doo!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #124
Bus Geek

So we're clear I'm not against folks breeding dogs. Just the 95% of them who are horrible people.
We DON'T need a larger supply of pets every year. We need folks to take care of the ones they already have!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 AM   #125
Bus Geek

Shaun and Niki took the dog to have it checked for a chip. It has one.
Its name is Diesel and its from two door down- SUPPOSEDLY.
The owner said he'd looked for the dog "all day" yet he didn't see it tied in my front yard all day?
No sign of dog or owner at the house all night. Something isn't right. I think he'd left it and got "caught" cause the chip.
He says his house was broken into and the dog got out as a result. Never saw any cops there.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #126
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
With a name like that, he oughta make for a good bus dawg.
The owner sounds like an idjit. Doesn't look for his lost dog, lives only a few doors down, and got a Pit for protection!
Sure, they can do that, after being trained to be mean. Left to their basic nature they're just big, goofy dogs.
I wouldn't want one, I'm partial to Oz Shepherds, but they are sweet critters. I'm not prejudiced against the breed, just the morons who buy them for the status/reputation, and proceed to abuse them.
Hope things resolve favorably for Diesel.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:11 AM   #127
Bus Geek

I was obligated by law to give him the dog back. No sign of him or the dog at the house they supposedly live in.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #128
Bus Crazy

Hmph! It does sound sketchy, but, if'n it'd been your dog gone MIA, you'd want it back.
Let's hope the dude isn't as fresh as a Summer's Eve as he sounds at first blush...
Old 05-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #129
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
the trick is being able to picture in your mind what it is you are saying - that way the dog can use it's many times more powerful than a human's, intuition to understand what it is you are saying - your energy, as far as the dog is concerned has to remain calm - I've calmed 70+ very agitated dogs by standing in front of them, taking a deep breath and lowering my heart rate - it worked so well it put me in mind of the spout of water that happens when you throw a large rock into the water - the dog's angry energy quieted as quick as the spout of water fades back into the pond -

Yes! This is how I have always communicated with my animals and seeing someone else say it just made my day.

For the first time in my life I don't have a dog. Our old girl, a border collie x lab, died 18 months ago. She was my constant companion and I miss her dearly. When the time is right another dog will find us, until then I'm trying to get used to being without.
Kris
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #130
Mini-Skoolie

I feel like this might be the place to ask my question, it’s probably been answered but also 11 pages of convo is a lot to go through.. anyway: what do you do with your pets if you leave your skoolie? If it’s hot do you just leave the air running? Or is there a better way to handle that? I have a pup that can go on some adventures, but my kitty would have to stay in the bus the whole time.
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #131
Bus Crazy

Yup, not the first time the subject has been broached.
Browsing the forum is like reading the dictionary, you can learn something if'n you're not careful.
Try here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I feel like this might be the place to ask my question, it’s probably been answered but also 11 pages of convo is a lot to go through.. anyway: what do you do with your pets if you leave your skoolie? If it’s hot do you just leave the air running? Or is there a better way to handle that? I have a pup that can go on some adventures, but my kitty would have to stay in the bus the whole time.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #132
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I've seen people leave a half dozen animals in an uninsulated skoolie with no ac.
Needs to be treated like leaving animals in ANY motor vehicle. If you've got no means of controlling the temps you have no business keeping animals in there.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #133
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys for the input! I will certainly have to find air conditioning that works
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #134
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I traveled the country for 6+ years in my first bus along with a cat and a Golden Retriever.

I had a nice Kubota diesel generator and two roof airs. BUT.... If it was warm enough that they may suffer if the genny or A/C quit I would not leave them alone for long.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #135
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Too many things to go wrong, IMO. Solar is not even a consideration. Generators could fail, run out of gas, or get stolen. Shore power lines could walk off on their own as well, if the source itself didn't fail.

Personally, I would never feel comfortable leaving a pet alone for any extended length of time in an RV / Skoolie where temperatures required AC to keep them alive.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #136
Bus Crazy

Well... there's always the Chinese Boy Scouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Too many things to go wrong, IMO. Solar is not even a consideration. Generators could fail, run out of gas, or get stolen. Shore power lines could walk off on their own as well, if the source itself didn't fail.

Personally, I would never feel comfortable leaving a pet alone for any extended length of time in an RV / Skoolie where temperatures required AC to keep them alive.
Yanno:
Youth In Asia...
Old 07-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Another lowlife has dumped their female pitbull out where we keep our buses.
Its a smoky gray color. Looks like it recently had a litter.

She was tired and panting from running down the middle of the road for who knows how long.
Got cussed out for leaving it in a friends' unused kennel next door but I'm getting the dog in the morning. Folks have NO empathy or compassion when it comes to animals. Yet these same people go and BUY animals.

Was a nice night until this. We went and had dinner with Sam and Gay, some really nice forum members.
We'd left Dixie at out bus and when we came back to get her this other dog had just been dumped.
She seems like a nice enough dog. Looks well fed and cared for. As long as she gets along with Dixie we may keep her.

If anyone wants a nice dog please let me know. I can't just leave em but I don't have the room or resources to start a dog rescue.
We NEED some sort of registry for pet owners! This **** is getting old!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #138
Bus Crazy

That sucks like Electrolux!!!!!
While I try to be a decent person, and I know there us always room for personal self-improvement...
Inflamed rectums, such as would dump a momma dawg, after likely drowning her pups, inclines me to the classic Texas defense:
"Your Honor, he needed killing."

"Case dismissed."
Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #139
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Some really do need to be shot.....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #140
Bus Crazy

Yup!
And SO not the preventative, booster kinda shot.
The instantaneously lethal lead kind.