Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Ok, do i buy this bus right now? Yes or no

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5630823953.html

doctressjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctressjulia View Post
It looks clean. The price is going to depend on what engine and transmission are in it. Also see if they have any maintenance records for it.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

It's still for sale... he's being really pushy since I have cash to pay for it..? I haven't even looked at it or driven it yet and I work double shifts until Monday! Also, can someone direct me to a thread about where to PARK this thing? I had a friend w a dirt driveway but she's being flaky... where's a good place to park a bus long-term? I'm looking at a space for 30 a month...seems reasonable. I guess I wonder: where do you live in them long-term?
Old 06-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
It's still for sale... he's being really pushy since I have cash to pay for it..? I haven't even looked at it or driven it yet and I work double shifts until Monday! Also, can someone direct me to a thread about where to PARK this thing? I had a friend w a dirt driveway but she's being flaky... where's a good place to park a bus long-term??
Do a Google search in your zip code for "Storage lots". Places that other people store their boats and RV's. That's the best place to start. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
It's still for sale... he's being really pushy since I have cash to pay for it..? I haven't even looked at it or driven it yet and I work double shifts until Monday! Also, can someone direct me to a thread about where to PARK this thing? I had a friend w a dirt driveway but she's being flaky... where's a good place to park a bus long-term? I'm looking at a space for 30 a month...seems reasonable. I guess I wonder: where do you live in them long-term?
Where to keep a bus is the tough part of acquiring one. Friends are bad about flaking out. ask me how I know.
Good luck finding storage for $30 a month. $100 is more likely.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I did find a spot for 30 a month... Ha!
...now to see if this bus is even there on Monday. If not, oh well, I keep looking.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Good job finding the parking spot for $30!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
I did find a spot for 30 a month... Ha!
...now to see if this bus is even there on Monday. If not, oh well, I keep looking.
It CAN be done, its just not typical.
I managed to get free parking in a nice clear field.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I'm planning to park at EastCoastCB's! Lol
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in my city U-haul has covered and uncovered parking for RV's and school busses are welcome... a lot of the U-haul rentals are also storage facilities too... doesnt hurt to check..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Yes, check self-storage places that have boat and RV parking but $30/month with them is unlikely. What I also found is even if they look half empty alot of times they're all rented out, people still keep paying for the space so they don't lose it come next fall/winter. May also check with local semi truck and trailer companies, since they may have large lots for their fleet or the vehicles they service. I was able to park at the company lot that was going to do my paint and body work. Also had a good lead with a local mobile home dealership, they rented out parking and in my area they had the best price at 45/mo. Just a few options outside of the ordinary. Of course if you have a friend who has land out in the country I think this is always best.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Another thing to think about is no matter how much sanding sealing and painting you do your bus probably still leaks a little water , or will again somewhere ESP in heavy rains.. If you drive it regularly this is not as big issue as you blow air through everywhere and dry it out but of its parked that's how moisture issues start. So it may be worth the extra few bucks to get a covered space for longevity sake. The current and final place where mine is have electricity with timers so you can periodically charge but not overcharge your batteries when stored.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Nice to finally see another member in my neck of the woods!

That's a really, really nice bus. Doesn't look like it ever saw service as a school bus judging by the lack of reds and no stop arm. Also 57K miles!!
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Did you notice it's been painted in the past year and there's yellow peeking through? Also did you notice the little hole right below and behind the driver's window? Probably where the air hose was for the stop sign. Did you notice the rust at the base of the seats? Doesn't necessarily mean the bus is rusted out but it's something that needs to be looked at.

I'm not saying it's a bad bus but for $7000 dollars it needs to be really nice.

Right down the road from you are dealer buses cheaper than that: Used 1998 International AMTRAN - Near Kankakee IL - Midwest Transit

Here's one with A/C: Used 2001 International AMTRAN - Near Kankakee IL - Midwest Transit
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie View Post
Did you notice it's been painted in the past year and there's yellow peeking through? Also did you notice the little hole right below and behind the driver's window? Probably where the air hose was for the stop sign. Did you notice the rust at the base of the seats? Doesn't necessarily mean the bus is rusted out but it's something that needs to be looked at.

Right down the road from you are dealer buses cheaper than that: Used 1998 International AMTRAN - Near Kankakee IL - Midwest Transit

Here's one with A/C: Used 2001 International AMTRAN - Near Kankakee IL - Midwest Transit
I saw that, too. Was thinking the same thing.
That mileage would be highly suspect if the bus has been used for two purposes already in life.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That mileage would be highly suspect if the bus has been used for two purposes already in life.
Agreed. It is possible, but don't let the owner b.s. you. See if there's a hobbs hour meter. If the hours are under 2000 probably around 1600 then yeah, the mileage may be right.

If there's no hour meter I would want to see paperwork. Sometimes the electronics go out on the bus (like the speedometer stops working) and the odometer will stop working also.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Agreed. It is possible, but don't let the owner b.s. you. See if there's a hobbs hour meter. If the hours are under 2000 probably around 1600 then yeah, the mileage may be right.

If there's no hour meter I would want to see paperwork. Sometimes the electronics go out on the bus (like the speedometer stops working) and the odometer will stop working also.
Or sometimes the whole gauge gets swapped out.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #18
Bus Geek

in most if not all states the bus and / or title must be tagged if the odometer is replaced .. if ab us comes from an owner and the title states accurate odometer and it can be proved the gauge cluster was replaced.. there are legal implications...

if the guage cluster has been replaced.. most all companies that rebuild them place their sticker on the cluster in a couple places and usually the date the cluster was rebuilt or shipped.. so you have an ideao f the cluster is dated 2004 and the bus is a 1995 say that the odometer is out of date... however you usually have to pop the cluster loose to see the tag.. Busses with low mileage do happen... esp handi-cap busses... as they were typically low capacity and high priced, many school systems used them only yo transport the handicap students which were not on a normal route typically.. so mileage could be very low on those type busses..

-Christopher
Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:

I didn't look that closely - didn't see the yellow paint there

As for seat frame rust, we have 2016 Bluebirds that already have rust on the frames. Combination of poor quality paint and wet boots during the winter.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I've seen 03 bus with 100k miles for $35oo. That price just seems steep. It may be fair but it sure ain't no good deal.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote