Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Ok. Solar/wind/electrical help needed.

Not anymore than the rest of us.

The electrical system keeps rattleing around in my brain, though the simplest might be one of those super efficent Honda generators, & then worry about the batteries later.

bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Well, it was just a thought. It's what I would do if I actually listened to my other self.

In any off grid system batteries are the bugabear. Running AC off batteries will need a generator and a charger. Might as well get rid of the bateries and get the best (quiet) generator. Not that I'm going to do it that way. Probably buy batteries, inverter/charger & solar panels. Thousands of dollars--and probably run a generator anyway.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quick question....why 24 volts? Those Concorde batteries really are at the top of my list along with Lifeline labeled AGM's and the various East Penn AGM's that fall under several labels. They will be good (albeit expensive) batteries for you.

I might suggest you do as I did with your computers. I have all my quasi-expensive electronics on UPS's that are fed their 120 volt AC power from either shorepower, a gennie, or my inverters. Rather than run individual batteries in the UPS units I actually tied the UPS units into the 12 volt house battery bank. Obviously you would need UPS units that run off 24 volt AC, but those are actually a little easier to find. Heck, I could send you two 750 VA Patriot Pros if you wanted.

That modification lets me get by with running the inverters at max load all the time (most efficient) without worrying about having the fridge kick on and kill my PS2 in the middle of an amazing Guitar Hero solo. Also, I am able to run my electronics without kicking on the big inverters since my UPS units are capable of cold starting. Maybe the option makes more sense for me than it would for you...I don't know. What I do know is that it IS an option as to how to wire things.

What kind of inverters are you looking at?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

if you're getting an air X wind generator i'm pretty sure all you have to do it connect it to yoru battery bank. it has a built in controller that automatically begins charging when the wind blows and stopps charging when the batteries are full. Even has blades that flex in high winds to protect itself from overspeeding.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

There really is no good way of converting from the 20hr rate to the 24 hr rate without knowing a lot more about the batteries. The manufacturer could probably help you out, but suffice it to say it will be a little higher than the 20 hr rate, but probably not much. I really REALLY doubt you're going to pick up 200 amp hours by increasing your time of discharge 20%, but those L16's are monsterous batteries and it is possible. Basically it just means you're going to be lowering your per hour load on them ~17%. In golf cart batteries you will see a big difference between the 75 amp rates and the 25 amp rates in terms of reserve capacity (another way of stating AH capacity), but that's a tremendous difference.

If you wanted to know the true rate after factoring in Peukert's exponent the best method would probably be to call the manufacturer or a distributer of the batteries (I don't have that info on the L16's handy). I think you will find, however, that it is in the neighborhood of 1300-1350 AH, not a drastic increase.

So you're looking at twelve L16's, eh? That's a tremendous amount of weight. I wish there were a better option I could give you, but other than looking at forklift batteries (which are often L16's anyway) you're kind of stuck. I will say that I can get in a GC2 case size with 245 amp hours made by East Penn for $150 retail or thereabouts. It would mean even more weight and even more floor space occupied by batteries, but at that price you could run 24 and get a capacity of 1470 amp hours. I know our store would give you a discount on 24 batteries. I would hope your local retailer would do the same. Heck, they might just do it on those L16's if you're buying 12 of them.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

Hi Friends,
I have 8 L16HC 395 amp 6 volt batteries. They weigh a little over 1000 lbs. about 120 lbs each and they have a very large footprint.
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote