Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Bus Geek

omg...the amount of crap that needs to be secured before....

Well getting ready for the "real" first voyage of El Tortuga.
I have had trailers,tow behind campers and just ...well a truckbed/trunk or suv.
Basically stuff it cram so it don't break who really care if it moves when you turn or brake(its stuffed or crammed onto something or a space).
Well ugh...a mobile home is different Almost Everything is prone to being tossed just while driving.
I have so much space now...nothing is "stuff-able or cram-ible"....
It will take about 15-30 min to setup home...then repack
It's a vicious cycle....
Gotta go out and make more tiedowns for stuff...ta-ta...pics to follow later in my thread

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: omg...the amount of crap that needs to be secured!!!

Oh yea-been there. For 20 years traveling with either a race car or motorcycles and all the support gear in the back of a cube van=and now with a short bus-I feel your pain. And I HATE HATE HATE rattles! 1st 10 minutes of a ride I'm going "what is that?" while the wife is deep sighing making noises stop. Once you have a system that works, it goes easy.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Skoolie

Re: omg...the amount of crap that needs to be secured before

I learned this too. Not so much the tie downs as almost everything has a place in my rig. But when we transferred everything out of our park model camper into the bus that we just finished converting I didn't really think about the glass/ceramic plates and bowls that we had until I started down the road. What a racket! I pulled over and wedged a few cups in between the plates and the shelf above to hold them down for the trip home. Needless to say we will be getting a separate set of dinnerware for our skoolie soon and putting the plates back in our park model.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

And fill up the microwave with bread-pop tarts etc to keep the glass rotating disc from rattling.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
And fill up the microwave with bread-pop tarts etc to keep the glass rotating disc from rattling.

paper towel is your friend!

even the other year there when we had to "pack up and get outta dodge" when the flood was threatening my home it was amazing how many things we had to move to get ready then how many things moved and didnt move on the trip out of there!! believe it or not that a bottle of head and shoulders on the top shelf of the corner thing in the shower did not even move!! yet the stuff we put down on the floor and "packed" into place shuffled around.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I use the puffy shelf liner. works between plates as well although I don't do that. I have a mixture of old & new Corelle. My 4 tea cups (Corelle) and 4 glass beer steins (DollarTree) ride in a soda tray that used to hold 2 liter pepsi bottles (I used a Dremel to cut pieces out the centers to allow the handles of the tankards to fit in the tray). The trays are also handy to carry anything glass like food in glass jars... quart size canning jars fit nicely as well. I have little circles of the shelf liner in the bottom of the soda crate. I don't worry about my Corelle breaking. I've been bouncing it around since the 1990's (it's mostly my old camping plates from the popup). Other stuff I do line with the puffy stuff. I buy it from DollarTree, Wal-Mart etc. Most any place is cheaper than camping world. I have found the puffier the better it cushions. I bought a huge roll of the stuff (clearance aisle) from Wal-mart about a year ago. I'm still working on lining stuff. A cutting board (poly type) can be cut down to just fit in a drawer on top of the flatware. Keeps the flatware from bouncing out all over the place. Remember to clip a corner or drill a "finger hole" to be able to pull the cutting board out.

We also use those little thin bungie cords that you tend to buy in little canisters. Handy to have. Lamps, etc have a small mending plate or "L" bracket screwed to the base then the bracket is screwed to a wall or countertop. A few things get laid on the bed. I working on getting everything to where they are always secured or have a secure "stowed" place. I've gotten to the point to where if it's too much hassle, then I don't want it.

Look at images of food trucks, boat galleys, mobile repair trucks, anything that moves. You can get ideas from lots of places. Lots of stuff can be held down securely with brackets, clips, magnets, velcro and french cleats. Think outside the box. Go into a hardware store and look at the section with mirror/picture hanging hardware, window locks, hinges, barrel bolts. One of our commonly used things is a small hinge with a removable pin. We pull the hinge pin, toss it and replace with a longer heavy solid wire (those steel spring wires use to hold insulation batts between floor joists are great... cut to length with a hacksaw AFTER bending a "pull hook" in it). Makes a good lock for a cabinet door. Use to "pin" an item to the wall. We used a couple to hold the flat screen LCD TV to the face of the fireplace mantle. The TV will swing out on one side from the mantle so that we can hook up cabling to it or we can pull the pins from the hinges on both sides and completely lift the TV off the wall. I made knock-down boxes that uses the small hinges with steel wire pins to hold them together. You can use full size door hinges with those skinny metal tent stakes as removable pins.

My goal is to be able to pull out in less than 1 hour. I got the pop-up set up like that when we had it, I don't see why I can't get the bus to that point either. It's just a matter of planning and tossing anything that is causing problems.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Bus Geek

All went good,setup took about 2hrs with refreshments
Also took time to show him how to check elec box for proper wireing
Stow to go took about 1 hr since DJ saw were everything had come from...def. made some packing changes for the better...a couple more trips and sub30 times will be very doable.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
... Stow to go took about 1 hr since DJ saw were everything had come from...def. made some packing changes for the better...a couple more trips and sub30 times will be very doable.
If possible... take notes and pics. That way you can make changes, try several different ways of packing various things then go back and choose what worked best for each thing. Make it simple (simple = fast). If you have others who "help" you pack/unpack, then you may want to post directions or pics of convolutedly stowed items in it's location.

I have found the less you have to pack/unpack, the more tolerable the exercise is. Luckily, since we started fulltiming, we have escaped the rain while packing/unpacking. Back when we were in the pop-up, it seemed we either set up or broke down the pop-up in the rain. And we managed to do both in the rain on the same trip many times. I'm getting too old for standing around in the rain. Not that it's a problem in NM.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Since I use the bus as a camp/ race hauler, I'm out in it doing the set up-tear down 8 or 10 times a year. Once level, set up time is about 15 minutes. (The wife is the registration person at the events-we are getting that stuff together too. ) Teardown I do a bit at a time in my liesure over Sunday.
One thing that is as much if not more importiant-can I get at things I need on the road once packed? Spare tire-jack-tools-fuel filter etc.