Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
They can simply use an angle grinder with cutting disk and cut the lock or a chain or make a door wherever they like. Only total security is a 24 hour guard!! I haven't found anything that I can not cut with the angle grinder, just a matter of time available. I power the angle grinder with a 3,000 watt converter on a group 31 AGM battery. will last about 3 hrs on a fully charged bat for general use.
I got schooled on padlocks when I was working down in Vegas.

I got ready to leave and had my generator chained and locked with the heaviest I could find at Home Depot. I could not find the keys....

I asked the gent next door if he had bolt cutters. He said "no, but I think I can help". He pulled out two big pipe wrenches and put one on the body of the lock and the other on the hasp (?) and gave it a twist. Very little effort and the lock was in pieces.

I have seen a few episodes of a silly reality show about storage unit auctions. The guy that runs the storage place had a cordless angle grinder. He cut off a variety of locks with little trouble.

If they want to get past the lock badly enough they probably will. Good locks keep honest people honest. Oh, and lazy people too

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Security especially when I go full time has been concerning me. A fire safe can be bolted down? They are not expensive. If I put a fancy expensive lock on my rig the thief’s might wonder what’s inside!? And there’s nothing all that valuable inside. It’s a dagnabit cat and mouse game.
The RV hobos moved in to the county recently. The doors would be wide open with trash falling out the door and no one would go near them for months. They reeked. The cops or tow truck drivers didn’t want to deal with it lol. Finally the county did something. Where do they take those RVs?. Careful not to let anyone park a gross old RV on your land. They may never come back. This happened several times to my landlord. I looked inside and felt like puking. Used diapers piled up high.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Thomas B2B
Chassis: 281TS
Engine: MBE 926 7.2L 211HP
Rated Cap: 29,000 LBS
I agree with you MMoore and used the same way to secure my Skoolie! I wanted some security but never wanted to jeopardize safety in the event that we have to bail out the back door.

With a Skoolie with all of these windows, it will never be a vault! It's just to keep the honest folks honest!
Tarheel Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
lock or unlock from both sides

[ATTACH]Attachment 37742

Attachment 37743[/ATTACH]

I really like this lock set up. I might steal the idea. you have a link for the actual lock? I'd likely want 2, 1 for emergency exit and 1 for the handicap door. and I would like to get them keyed the same.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
I really like this lock set up. I might steal the idea. you have a link for the actual lock? I'd likely want 2, 1 for emergency exit and 1 for the handicap door. and I would like to get them keyed the same.
They are a standard deadbolt kit, avaialbale at HD for around $15
or on line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BRONZE-...item5d80adfa16
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Nice! Those are useful internal bolts . And no padlock hanging on the outside. What about those other more expensive padlocks: a very fancy padlock; The external round padlock recessed with a ring of steel around them. No way to get a cutter in to cut the lock or hasp. But it’s a external lock and might draw attention. They are massively strong and bolt on with 6 bolts however.
https://allpadlocks.com/products/ame...0aAqTREALw_wcB
No good for a emergency doors but sure are strong looking. But I like the internal deadbolt better except for the getting the hole drilled the correct depth and location.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I agree that locks only keep out honest or lazy people, not experienced thieves. That's one reason I have Buster. He sleeps a lot, but if someone laid a hand on the bus while he was sleeping, he would be up and barking at them instantly. He's just about 100 lbs, and his teeth are big and sharp.

The only way for someone breaking into my bus to handle him would be to shoot him, which I think would tend to draw more intention than most thieves who might want to break into my bus would like to draw to their activites. So I am not too worried about somebody shooting Buster just to get into my bus. And I think I should normally have quite a bit of control over that sort of thing just by choosing where I park. I do not have any Beware of Dog signs on my bus yet, but I will, after I dump Progressive and get a real insurance company.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #28
Bus Nut

@Doktari, that hasp looks cool and very tough. I would however recommend staying away from those padlocks shown below it. All of those locks are specifically intended for safety lockouts, and safety lockouts don't need to be very tough. I've seen millwrights break locks when someone went home and left their lock on something, and those brass-bodied padlocks usually break easily.

Especially with one of the longer locks shown, which would hang down farther below the upper part of that hasp and so be easier to hit, it would probably take only one good blow from a 2 lb hammer to pop them open. I would want a tougher lock intended for security purposes.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Any!
Coachwork: Self!
Chassis: Crown or Gillig!
Engine: Cummins 855, 400 HP or more!
Rated Cap: 36,000 GVRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
It looks good however, could someone with a phillips screwdriver simply remove the 7 screws and have room to work around the lock/latch you made?
Any crook that wants in, will get in no matter what. The idea is to make it as uncomfortable as possible for said crook. The more noise the crook has to make, the more likely the crook will think twice! A noise sensing alarm, that screams to high heaven, combined with extremely bright flashing lights, is the best deterrent for theft!
BigPaul367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #30
Bus Nut

@BigPaul367, "A noise sensing alarm, that screams to high heaven, combined with extremely bright flashing lights, is the best deterrent for theft!"

I agree with everything you said up to your last sentence. I would take a good dog, supplemented with a couple of pistols and a shotgun, over a contraption like that anytime.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Thanks, Ive been concerned over these details but this helps. I decided I need Busters brother. He sounds perfect.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Buster was the only male in what was supposed to be his mother's last litter because she was nearly 10 when she had that one. He's part American Pit Bull and part Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which are ancestral to American Pits but smaller. So he's big for a Staffordshire, but a little smaller than many male American Pits. I'm very glad I got him. But he was a handful for the first year. I think he's both the most intelligent dog I've ever had, and the most stubborn too.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I got schooled on padlocks when I was working down in Vegas.

I got ready to leave and had my generator chained and locked with the heaviest I could find at Home Depot. I could not find the keys....

I asked the gent next door if he had bolt cutters. He said "no, but I think I can help". He pulled out two big pipe wrenches and put one on the body of the lock and the other on the hasp (?) and gave it a twist. Very little effort and the lock was in pieces.

I have seen a few episodes of a silly reality show about storage unit auctions. The guy that runs the storage place had a cordless angle grinder. He cut off a variety of locks with little trouble.

If they want to get past the lock badly enough they probably will. Good locks keep honest people honest. Oh, and lazy people too
There's a YouTube channel called "The Lockpicking Lawyer" and the dude just goes through locks like they're made of butter. Makes me think it might be better to weld my bus shut when I leave and cut it open when I get home.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #34
Bus Nut

If you don't like dogs you could get a lion.