Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Opinions on tires?

I'm looking at some yokohama tires:

11r22.5 size:
RY023 for the steer
TY577 for the rear

Any thoughts on these tires vs another manufacturer? They cost about $1000 more than a set of chinese off brand tires (triangle?) but I get more warm fuzzies with a name brand tire.

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I doubt anyone here puts any REAL mileage on their tires to be of much use.
Try School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums

a tire discussion- http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=23349
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I'm looking at some yokohama tires:

11r22.5 size:
RY023 for the steer
TY577 for the rear

Any thoughts on these tires vs another manufacturer? They cost about $1000 more than a set of chinese off brand tires (triangle?) but I get more warm fuzzies with a name brand tire.
nothing wrong with yokohama , price out toyo tires and hankook, all good brands, some of the china brands have been getting good reviews. in most cases the tires will time out from age rather then miles.
gbstewart
Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I doubt anyone here puts any REAL mileage on their tires to be of much use.
Try School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums

a tire discussion- What brand/model tires are you running? - School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Sneaking a peak at Skoolie.net (between honey-do's); will check out this discussion when I get time...

Consumer Reports hasn't tested school bus tires of course, but I suspect that some of the magazine's general recommendations apply: avoid the cheap, off-brand Chinese tires. (Hankook, Kumho and Nexen aren't "off brand" in this sense because these Korea/China companies have built a reputation.)

Student Transportation of America's Omaha location has Hankook on its Blue Birds and Continental on its Int'l Coaches. They're good enough for the school bus mfrs and operators. Not enough for a final conclusion but something I'm keeping in mind.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
I have never liked the thought of any Chinese tire on any of my vehicles. However, when pricing tires for my bus, price had to be the final factor. I don't remember off hand how much the steers were, but I remember them being alot cheaper then I expected. So, I went with the 11r22.5 Samson steers. Bought them in 2011 and have put right at 10,000 miles on them. I really hate to admit that I like them. I put retreads on the rear, can't say I would do that again. I might actually think about Samson's for the rear next time too. I feel they run better/smoother then the Michelin's on some of my work trucks.

Here's an interesting read on Samson's.
Samson 8R19.5 Tire Question
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Samson's tires have a very good rating, sailun tires are also a good brand that are on many motorhomes, I have been reaching tires for a bit now and there a very high quality Chinese tires,
gbstewart
Old 09-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Lets face it Chinese doesn't mean bad, it means they leveraged one of a couple of things to make them cheaper. Sure they could have made the quality less to make them cheaper, they could use environmentally harmful process, they could use processes that are dangerous to the workers, they could simply not be paying the workers, or the government could be subsidizing them to dent the market share of the market leader. All are techniques we know china could be using
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I prefer my tires round.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Lets face it Chinese doesn't mean bad, it means they leveraged one of a couple of things to make them cheaper. Sure they could have made the quality less to make them cheaper, they could use environmentally harmful process, they could use processes that are dangerous to the workers, they could simply not be paying the workers, or the government could be subsidizing them to dent the market share of the market leader. All are techniques we know china could be using
Great points.

I recommend everyone watch the documentary "Death By China".

Tells all about it.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:12 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Japan has been taking a page out of the workers paradise playbook-Subaru?s secret: Marginalized foreign workers power an export boom
Old 09-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Not all china is bad. Some is good but it's usually not the cheapest. If you want to try it, go for it. I've got goodyear drives and firestone steers on mine. No problems with them at all but I don't put on more than 500 miles a year.

One note though, over the past month I've replaced an entire set of douglas(walmart) brand car tires(Close to one every week). Each tire had a slow leak through cracks in the sidewall or had the cords in the tread busted. Three years since they were manufactured, so they weren't old. They have a 4 star review at walmart.com too. That kinda crap I've only ever see out of Chinese tires.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
Bus Nut

I think of tires like shoes. You generally do get what you pay for, but don't pay for more than you need. Just like shoes the cheaper ones probably are not going to hold up well, likewise just because you paid a lot doesn't mean they will last longer either (I'm looking at you vibram five fingers).
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I buy Michelin tires for ALL my vehicles. Enough said.......

M1031
Old 09-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I just put a new Michelin on my scooter!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
I buy Michelin tires for ALL my vehicles. Enough said.......

M1031
If you believe everything on the internet.. taken from the link I posted earlier.

So after doing some more research on Samson tires, their distributor company is out of Ohio, Great Lakes Tire Company. Advance Tire is also made by Samson, or vice versa. The tires are made to stringent quality control...and by the way, they are ultimately owned by Michelin...go figure...who also owns Uniroyal, etc. Turns out that Advance Tires and Samson tires used to be made in Isreal. Now they are made in China.

There you go Chinese Michelin not French Michelin...
Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Ok, allow me to clarify then. After the tire size is verified, I look for two key things on a tire. First is "Made in USA", then "Michelin". Living in Houston allows me to find what I look for. More money? Yes. But I've been compelled to drive Chinese junk on vehicles. From those nasty experiences I refuse to go through an ordeal like those with my personal vehicles.

Just sayin....

M1031
Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Great points.

I recommend everyone watch the documentary "Death By China".

Tells all about it.

Nat
I will check that one out!

I looked at the documentary's website and it (in the context of this thread) reminds me of when I was a graduate student in toxicology and I visited a lab where they had researched the toxicity in humans of a chemical found in the fumes you smell in a tire store. Tire factory workers are exposed to it. Turns out that the substance isn't very hazardous unless you're foolish enough to snort it straight up. The lab researcher said it was good news for American workers, because the tire companies would likely have moved more of their work to China instead of investing in protection for American workers.

One thing the controversy doesn't change is that one thing is almost certainly worse than Chinese tires: ones that are over 10 yrs old, regardless of tread wear and especially with visible cracks.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Don't take me wrong, I'm just poking fun. I would be amazed at this point, if there is a tire manufacture that doesn't out source some of their tires. I'm pretty sure you can't buy a US made trailer tire any more.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
We do goodyear recaps on the back and virgin goodyears on the front. We have a goodyear truck that comes buy every couple weeks to pickup casings and deliver new tires. $195 per recap (135 with casing exchange) and 235 for new Kelly Steers. I never put virgin tires on the rear and I balance with equal pouches. Ive got mixed feelings about the equal, but it allows me to balance the tires without a machine. I hate doing tire work. Unless you're running a LOT of miles, you will probably age-out your tires faster than you will wear them out. I try not to spend too much on them. Keep em out of the sun when you can. Continentals are great tires but very $$$.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
I dislike any sort of item being run inside the tire. I've seen guys use the equal crap, a hand full of golf balls, bouncy balls, you name it. In my experiences, that crap always seems to tear up the inside of the tire, causing leaks and rendering the casing useless. If you want to balance the tire without using lead weights, use the centramatic system. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising. Here's a video if your interested in learning about it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote