Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Why is it, at least up here with the lush dense lawns people create in summer, that commercial mowers always give a lower quality look than a residential mower.. several neighbors have their yards cut by services or own their own zero turn of some type, and can always tell those yards for more layed over look to the grass as opposed to the cut and stand straight look of a residential walk behind .. the commercials definitely cut much taller grass much easier than a push but to me doesn't look as good. I notice in Florida most lawns seem harsher not as soft
Christopher
A residential mower usually makes the lawn look like crap, imo.
The grass and who's cutting it... that's really the determining factor. I was running a residential Toro last year. My yards all looked good. Now that I have a REAL mower, they look GREAT.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats true it could easily be who is operating the mower.. I just notice the yards looked more layed down with large wheel tracks.. is that the operator going too fast? turning too sharp?

I also feel like the grass in florida is more thick and coarse and not thin and soft like northern lawns..

Sawgrass as opposed to kentucky bluegrass?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #43
Bus Geek

we have a lot of bahia and its not as lush and easy to cut like st augustine.
Going fast doesn't hurt- turning too fast or sharply will.
Most big commercial crews will run too heavy a mower and that can rut up a yard.
Its also good to change the pattern/direction every so often.
Some crews do a shitty job because they haul too much ass that's definitely true.

An old lady I do some jobs for told me the best mowing quote/advice ever. She said to me "you do such a good job, you're not in a big hurry like that other guy was", then she says- " Its not how fast you mow, its how GOOD you mow fast!"
Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #44
Bus Geek

true that... and yeah I notice the guys here FLY and do turn at full speed on those zero radius mowers.. plus they sometimes mow in the rain...

I just have a small yard and I do change up my pattern each time I mow.. something my grandmother always said to do..
-Christopher
Old 06-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Mowing in the rain isn't kosher.
But I have to admit I have to do it more often than I'd like. But this is FL.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
huge difference in the types and growth habits between northern and southern turf grasses. we northerners are used to kentucky blue / fine fescue / perennial ryegrass mix. they give a nice proper lawn look, imo

those warmer grasses like bermuda, st augustine have longer growing seasons and tend to grow like a lush carpet, even puffy ish.

home owners with big heavy mowers need to alter their mow paths. soil compaction really slows down grass growth. when you can see the tracks they have made, its a problem.

the taller you cut grass, generally, the healthier it is. it will need less frequent mowing, less fertilizer and less water.
sport turfs need daily mowing, high fertility, and high water to keep the grass healthy and those shorter cutting heights.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
huge difference in the types and growth habits between northern and southern turf grasses. we northerners are used to kentucky blue / fine fescue / perennial ryegrass mix. they give a nice proper lawn look, imo

those warmer grasses like bermuda, st augustine have longer growing seasons and tend to grow like a lush carpet, even puffy ish.

home owners with big heavy mowers need to alter their mow paths. soil compaction really slows down grass growth. when you can see the tracks they have made, its a problem.

the taller you cut grass, generally, the healthier it is. it will need less frequent mowing, less fertilizer and less water.
sport turfs need daily mowing, high fertility, and high water to keep the grass healthy and those shorter cutting heights.
im defimitely guilty of shorter mowing.. I like the look.. and as a result in years where it doesnt rain 2 or 3 times a week i have to water the yard.. I do fertilize and weed-kill the yard on a schedule. never thought about looking at possibly a different schedule or level of coverage based on mowing height... great pointer, I water when the Home automation system tells me the soil is getting dry.. I havent yet installed automatic sprinklers.. up north they are a PITA with having to winterize and then still usually a couple heads get damaged in people;s systems from some type of freezing ..
-Christopher
Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Mowing too short is a big no-no. I mow st augustine on 3.75-4.25 and bahia on like 3.50.
Letting the grass stay a healty height is so cruicial!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Got out my trusty Echo 60cc saw and did some tree removal in my yard in preparation for bus and van parking.

Rented a lift, but failed to get any pics. I hate being up on those things!
This was up above the power lines and about 3 feet from them, so we needed the lift.

Lots of canopy to cut up after work this week. Gonna burn it at a buddy's down the road.

Pretty much worked till dark, so didn't end up getting any pics of the whole thing down. Will get that tomorrow afternoon before I clean it all up.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #50
Almost There

ECCB That everide looks a lot like my Hustler SuperZ 60" commercial mower. It's made by Excel Industries. Excel was supposed to be the first zero turn mower built.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty_59 View Post
ECCB That everide looks a lot like my Hustler SuperZ 60" commercial mower. It's made by Excel Industries. Excel was supposed to be the first zero turn mower built.
Hmmm, IDK much about the history of the company. But its a damn fine mower. EXTREMELY heavy duty!
Makes my buddy's Great Dane look really wimpy, but I do like the controls of the GD Chariots.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Everride was bought by Ariens in 2007.
Go there for unigue parts.
Ariens has bought many brands over the years, some they still market and some they shut down.
Ariens Company Brands & History
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Everride was bought by Ariens in 2007.
Go there for unigue parts.
Ariens has bought many brands over the years, some they still market and some they shut down.
Ariens Company Brands & History
Yeah that's about all I knew about em.
Not real common but seems the golf courses around here ran a lot of em.
I love mine. There's a diesel one just like mine of Ebay that I really want but I can't afford. 19 hp Yanmar on that sucker. WHAT A MOWER!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #54
Bus Geek

I've come to a point I no longer have any use for my trusty old Forest Gump Snapper mower. Classic style with 30" deck and 12.5hp Intek OHV. Runs like a champ. Garage kept its entire life.
Its been a great mower and does a fantastic cut, but I have to make room for other stuff in my garage.

IDK why the pics make my lawn look so bad. Its actually nice and green. And thick, for bahia grass.

If anyone in my area wants a good mower let me know. Otherwise, its on CL and I've got a lady coming to look at it tomorrow!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
You guys are bumming me out.

I had a gig as "interim greens keeper" at a golf course and really got spoiled by the quality mowers. I am a nut for a perfect lawn. When I left there & went out and bought a brand new $1600 mower for my new (at the time) lawn and was sooo disappointed with the quality of cut.

Fast forward. I have been almost 3 years living out in the woods with no lawn. Now I am in the process of moving into town. Into a house with a big lawn and I know that I am going to be frustrated with any mower that I can afford.

I am currently paying about $100 a month to have someone mow it for me. It looks pretty bad and the OCD in me won't let me live with it as it is. I will have a new part time job for the next 6 months fixing the lawn.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
You guys are bumming me out.

I had a gig as "interim greens keeper" at a golf course and really got spoiled by the quality mowers. I am a nut for a perfect lawn. When I left there & went out and bought a brand new $1600 mower for my new (at the time) lawn and was sooo disappointed with the quality of cut.

Fast forward. I have been almost 3 years living out in the woods with no lawn. Now I am in the process of moving into town. Into a house with a big lawn and I know that I am going to be frustrated with any mower that I can afford.

I am currently paying about $100 a month to have someone mow it for me. It looks pretty bad and the OCD in me won't let me live with it as it is. I will have a new part time job for the next 6 months fixing the lawn.
Man, I'd cut it for you WAY cheaper if you were in my county!!! Yall got some HIGH prices!
I got LUCKY. My Everride was 6-7 grand new. Got it from an old ladys garage with 299 hrs on it for $1200!
This snapper is as good as an old fashioned residential mower gets, but I have no use for it at all anymore.
Next mower purchase will be a small zero turn for back yards and such. Gravely makes a lil 34" that would probably be ideal.
Yeah, having a quality mower makes ALL the difference.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #57
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

IDK why the pics make my lawn look so bad. Its actually nice and green. And thick, for bahia grass.

Looks good on my monitor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	green.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	728.6 KB
ID:	14765
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
there is some voodoo going on here. lol
Attached Thumbnails
qLPzIGO.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Looks good on my monitor.

Attachment 14765
That's actually the way it really looks. IDK why my uploads made it look like its dead!
Old 07-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Does this count? It will be used around here as a small truck. I also hope to haul it around for use as a cart at camping events. 1981 Cushman Truckster. Three on the tree with two speed rearend, hydraulic dump bed. It's in really excellent shape.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote