Old 07-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #11
Bus Geek

i went 25 miles to the nearest big truck tire place. I took the bus around to the service entrance and explained to one of the mechanics that i needed a new steer tire, but i didn't have much money. He found a used steer tire with decent tred for $75.00. It's still in excellent shape after 10k miles.

i also got lucky and found a couple new/used retreds on a bus one of the local fire departmetns were going to use for practice with the jaws of life. They let me take anything i wanted off of that bus before it went off to the scrap yard. This is probably not a good option for most people...kind of a needle in a haystack
Old 07-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via MSN to David G. Send a message via Yahoo to David G.
WOW!!! i just found a guy less than 20 min. from the house who has ran busses for the county for years,and he has the tires i need ,they are used but in great shape. he said i can have them for $25 to $ 30 each. he also said he had some that would fit my wheels but are just a little taller. i'm in east tn. but if anyone needs wheels,...he has a big stockpile that has been kept inside and in very good shape!
BTW, thanks for all the help guys,being new to all this as i am, your replies sure make things alot easier
Old 07-24-2004, 01:22 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

oops, i ment to say if you need tires not wheels
i guess thats why they have that little preview thingy there,huh?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:46 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
David G.,
Where in East TN (covers a big area)?. We're 25 miles west of Chattanooga at the TN/AL/GA state lines. Need 10 tires for our Eagle and, judging by the skoolie I saw in Chatt yesterday, they are running the same size tires. We just need to get the Eagle to the point to where we can bring it home from NC as soon as we get the pole barn up and roofed (just need to get the telephone poles over here). David doesn't seem to have the time to work on it much and my mom is getting cranky about it sitting up at the cabin taking up space. And any skoolie I get will need tires.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:58 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

lorna,
i'm just outside of knoxville.,in maryville(the smokies,townsend) ya know.....that really crowded place in the summertime....lol. the guys name is jimmy hatcher, just call hickory corner trailer sales and service @(865)982-0285 . or i will be more than happy to run up there for you one day and check on them. just let me know. hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:24 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
I know where Maryville is (I even know it's pronounced "Mur-Ville" ). We looked at an RTS up in that area (Sweetwater) a few years ago when we were looking to buy a bus to convert and David worked that area back when he was in Home Security Sales. Thanks for the Info. I will log it into my "Bus info" notebook along with my list of reliable bus mechanics (bus as in Coaches). If I don't write it down, I lose it. Guess I need to start up a note book for Skoolies.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

yip....big ole murville,we're growing by leaps and bounds.....heck,i hear tell we may get a 3rd redlight soon !!! lol there is a big buss boneyard in knoxville on maynardville hwy. that my dad was telling me about. i'll get with him and find out the name and phone# and put it on here also.