Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
I used a single stage automotive paint with a matte finish, hides a lot of sins.

Still hacking and slashing bits and pieces on the bus and found touching up add-ons and repairs. The matte finish blends in well. Had some of the paint put in aerosol cans for easy use.
Yeah that's what I'm doin too.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #22

Coachwork: Bluebird
I used to paint heavy equipment, but didn’t have that kind of gear to use when I set out to do my bus. I used industrial enamel (had my colour choice made up at Cloverdale Paint in Canada), applied with a brush and roller.
I was pleasantly surprised at how nice a finish I got from a roller.
What matters more than anything is that the prep work is done. Sand. Scuff up/open the old paint. Remove grease/oil/silicone.
The only shitty part of my paint job is where I said to hell with sanding the top shoulder above where the window drip line is, on a ladder in the baking sun, and started rolling paint instead of sanding. My bus had come with a shitty, peeling paint job, so I could surmise that because THAT paint was stuck like **** (high pressure hot water pressure washing and a rough sanding hadn’t moved it), my new paint would stick, it just wouldn’t look great. In that spot.
The only reason the previous paint job, that it came with, failed was a lack of sanding/opening the paint to accept whatever you’re putting on it. If it is shiny, glossy, and smooth, you’ll have a hard time making anything stick to it properly.
Painting is easy. Proper preparation takes time.
BusBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #23

Industrial enamel being exactly whatever is sold to paint tractors in your area ����
Sticks like **** and wears well. Buy it by the gallon. Cheeeeap as borscht!
BusBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have been considering Sher-Kem on my bus.

What do you all think of that choice as far as ease of application and longevity?

Thanks.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I have painted at least 75 trucks and 35 semi trailers over my time using almost everything but house paint the best paint I have found for the money is the tractor and implement paint sold at farm supply stores (Tractor Supply Orscheln Rural King ect.) it thins with mineral spirits has hardener available shines like a diamond in a goats A** wears like kevlar cheaper and better than hardware type gloss paints. Be sure to use the hardener and a respirator as the fume are almost lethal. Gene
Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

I painted my bus with Dutch Boy exterior house paint for all surfaces. I rolled on most of it and brushed the nooks and crannies. I did prep the surface with light sanding and washing it. And its been 4 years and held up great. I rattle canned the bumpers and rims. And my bus sits out all year round. Not saying my way was the best. Just saying what I did worked for me.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

It's not spraypaint, but if you want a cheap colorful paint job go to Sherwin Williams and ask for mistints. They often have a bunch of them in the back, and a gallon of exterior is about a dollar(and 25 or 50 cents for the quarts!)
DeanyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanyOscar View Post
It's not spraypaint, but if you want a cheap colorful paint job go to Sherwin Williams and ask for mistints. They often have a bunch of them in the back, and a gallon of exterior is about a dollar(and 25 or 50 cents for the quarts!)
keep in mind that water based paints are not designed for metal or to go over gloss paints or surfaces - interior paints are not designed for outdoor use - using an unsuitable paint product on any job and you can count on having a huge mess to clean up
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Roger the above. Can't tell you how many vehicles I have seen with sheets of paint peeling/falling off because they put water based paint over enamel.

Does...not...work.

Example? My '46! Some bozos threw cheap, water based house paint on it at some point and it was a mess. Falling off where over the original paint...and rusting the crap out of the metal where they had sanded it bare.

The roof was a real mess and a monster to clean up for new paint.

Do it right. Water based paint does not belong on metal. No matter what Detroit is doing!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I begged a friend not to paint their bus with water based house paint. They didn't listen and now there's condensation bubbling from behind the paint 6 months later.
Its gonna make for a lot more work to do it right this time.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
You got that right. It is a royal PITA to remove. Totally clogs regular sandpaper. I had to use a flap disk and a wire wheel to get that s*** off my bus!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You got that right. It is a royal PITA to remove. Totally clogs regular sandpaper. I had to use a flap disk and a wire wheel to get that s*** off my bus!
sand blast - either wet or dry - more work in clean up with wet blasting and you can't reuse the sand, but if dust is going to be a problem then wet sandblasting is the only way - been there done that far too many times cleaning up someone's mess so I could do the job right
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote