Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Panic mode

Close on the house in 30 days and still no bus.
Not many up this way...
https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/rvs/5526525652.html

I've been looking all over the place.
For something like this perhaps.? I feel they might be charging for the paint?
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/5530212856.html

I'm even willing to fly to Don Browns's Bus Sales in NY. They seem to have decent prices...

But how do you ever know from a website? I don't have the option of flying all over the country to just look at a few.
Like I said, panic mode..

Anyway...
Thanks for the add here as this site it's full of information, links, and ideas. Even a few nice busses for sale that might work for me.

Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's not a bad looking bus and if you don't mind paying that much for a bus full of seats, go ahead. Sounds like a good low mileage rust free bus.

On the other hand you could look at buses with seats by going to the following sites to search for buses;

Public Surplus: School Bus
or
SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

Search Tempest will search for whatever you are looking for based on distance from your zip code. Works good and uncovers an occasional diamond.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Ok, take breathe....there are some temporary options. If you have a large van you can toss a bed in it and rough it and drive to check out buses. Consider it a trial run. If you work from home get your internet set up. You can stay with friends and or you can rent an rv if you are desperate.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, it's not that complicated if you're willing to fly to pick up the bus. Lots of people here have purchased a bus and had long trips to go home, especially folks trying to buy outside of the rust belt.

Most of us buy online through the Public Surplus auction, ideally. It's usually the best prices, but don't get into a bidding battle with someone. Set a price and stick with it. I'm afraid of buses that have been sitting for long periods of time, unless they aren't meant to drive in their future lives.

You mean you wouldn't just put the bus on the barge and have it sent up?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Lots of good buses here in MT.....
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
Ok, take breathe....there are some temporary options. If you have a large van you can toss a bed in it and rough it and drive to check out buses. Consider it a trial run. If you work from home get your internet set up. You can stay with friends and or you can rent an rv if you are desperate.
Is it just yourself or you and others? Are you leaving AK or looking to buy something to live in there? The van idea is perfect as mentioned because it gives you a place to lay your head and also travel to see any buses you find. You can also look for a used rv...they are a dime a dozen and often cheaper than a van and have all the amenities of a house. Will give you a furnished place to live while you decide your next move.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the input.
I was originally looking for a van, but not a motorhome. I have tools, dogs, and bicycles so for me a motorhome just didn't look right. Too much used space I didn't need. I'm looking for more open space.
I have used many different searches and found some really cool busses and converted busses. Bus it's not easy to find that one with what you may be looking for. (Engine, transmission, body, etc.
My plan is to leave alaska after the summer and head to the tropics. Try to be as self contained as possible, and thaw out for a while.

But I did take a deep breath....
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
OP: if you are handy, this bus needs a look:
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...92&acctid=7867

Its a 1996 with a mech injection DT466 and a Spicer 5-speed manual. Thats not a particularly common thing to find these days, and it appears to be in very good overall condition. Has a "no-start" problem, but this may be minor (or not).

If I was still looking for a bus, I'd be looking hard at this one.

IMHO...