Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Place to park

Hi, I've been wanting to get a bus for a while but live in my car ad the moment and was wondering where I would park it while working on it. I moved to Texas
August last year but don't know anyone out here. Was Any advice?

Thanks

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Some of us live in our buses while we're building them. If you get a generator you can use your tools to work on the bus wherever you want. It's not as easy, but can be done and it cuts down on rent.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Hi Robbin. Can you give examples of places? Where would you park your bus while working on it? Like a Home Depot? Are you currently in that situation?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Most of us that are living in our buses as we convert are doing so on private land...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I actually have a strong aversion to attempting to camp in any city. I live on the remainder of an old sheep ranch in the coastal mountains of NW Oregon. I'm parked in my driveway, on the grid, with satellite TV and internet. Not exactly roughing it, I know.

My old house began leaking some years ago, and after falling off the roof several times I decided to let the roof alone. The house has molded pretty bad so I've been living in the bus the last couple years. Obviously I don't have storage issues, with a house as well as second and third buses to put things in.

This was my first time at insulating a bus. Hind sight is always 20/20, so at this point I believe I could go through the same process with much more confidence the second time around. I recommend getting the interior stripped out as fast as possible so the walls and ceilings can be insulated. I moved out of the bus and lived under a tarp for a while last summer to accomplish the insulation quickly. For most build projects you can slide your personal possessions to the front or rear in order to get work done.

Ideally if I had a hitch and an enclosed utility trailer for tool and materials storage I'd have been much better off. Shuffling everything in the bus forward and back, left and right gets tiring quickly. There is light at the end of the tunnel.