Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
And yes, I prime modestly. With kegs you're not looking for that buildup of pressure to carbonate like when bottling. After aging in the keg for 4 to 6 weeks, some kegs have retained the pressure very well while others have not. The lower pressure keg didn't seem to affect the flavor of the beer, and in that case I was glad I had the co2 mix to carbonate better.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #62

marine supply catalogs and stores are a good source for this kind of hardware, sail boats commonly use hand pump sinks
chopperdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #63
Bus Geek

I've looked at those. That's a very conservative pump and rightfully so on a sailboat. I wanted something a little faster for when I want to fill a bucket or something.

I have a co2 system and stainless kegs that make good water containers, but the water can get kind of fizzy after a day or so. Does anybody know if the co2 has any antimicrobial effect on the water?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I've looked at those. That's a very conservative pump and rightfully so on a sailboat. I wanted something a little faster for when I want to fill a bucket or something.

I have a co2 system and stainless kegs that make good water containers, but the water can get kind of fizzy after a day or so. Does anybody know if the co2 has any antimicrobial effect on the water?
I don't think CO2 has any antimicrobial effect but I'll shoot an email to the scientists at work tomorrow to see if they can provide more insight.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #65
Bus Geek

So the question is "Is microbial life possible in fizzy water?" Cool. Something tells me it wouldn't be a good place to keep fish, in fizzy water. Everybody knows you should keep fish in your fresh water tank so they can eat the algae. I have kept some kegs of water for several years (no fish), and the kegs aren't all that air tight but apparently they do retain some co2 at zero pressure. Surprisingly the water seemed fresh. Just the same I didn't drink it. Other translucent containers left outside seem to get the fish tank thing going on within about six months.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have kept some kegs of water for several years (no fish), and the kegs aren't all that air tight but apparently they do retain some co2 at zero pressure. Surprisingly the water seemed fresh. Just the same I didn't drink it. Other translucent containers left outside seem to get the fish tank thing going on within about six months.
This is because of the light getting inside, promoting the growth of "stuff". That's why they say use black tanks for a water supply tank (i.e. for a home prepper).
Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:

See the article below regarding a study done on CO2 and antimicrobial properties. Appears it does have antimicrobial properties and the kill factor appears to be related to pressure (among other things). Interesting!

Effect of Compressed Carbon Dioxide on Microbial Cell Viability
Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Thanks, that was enlightening. From what I'm reading there is an acidic increase with c02 dissolved in the water, but the explosive decompression is basically what kills microbes. As an advanced open water recreational diver I can identify with how dangerous rapid decompression is to living things. It makes complete sense but I hadn't thought of it that way previously.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks, that was enlightening. From what I'm reading there is an acidic increase with c02 dissolved in the water, but the explosive decompression is basically what kills microbes. As an advanced open water recreational diver I can identify with how dangerous rapid decompression is to living things. It makes complete sense but I hadn't thought of it that way previously.
I sent the study to one of our scientists and she did confirm that pressure plays a major role in the kill factor.