Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Please read this and take time to ponder your response

Good morning,afternoon and evening ladies, gentlemen, and young ladies and young men, and everyone else on this site

Skoolies are like a box of chocolates, every one is different and depending on the price of the box, some are fancy and have glitter and creme fillings

We all have one thing in common; that one thing is this:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT and we have a common goal, that goal has one thing that we all can relate to...we love OUR skoolies

It DOESN'T (some would use the term shouldn't) matter what color you are, race, age, sex or political party,

WE ARE SKOOLIE PEOPLE

There has been a lot of unrest on the prairie as of late, seems like a lot of personal attacks, due to differences in:

religion (I am guilty of this and apologized to the individual), economic standards I have a very low budget bus, compared to some,
having ceramic tiles vs used shag carpet...doesn't matter if you spend
10k on paint awesome...not my cup of tea...so don't make fun and
say it was a waste of time, it is their skoolie, you have yours

another issue has to do with PRIDE/FEELINGS/EMOTIONS whatever, remember we are all talking through a keyboard and there is no facial expression etc...before responding to something; think about it and see if it fits into "it's their belief, idea and opinion" we all have those and if you don't respect other peoples rights or opinions then why are you on a public forumn being a "perceived" a$$hole???

If your only reason to post in a threads is to troll, poke the bear or just call someone out on how they did something on their Skoolie...don't waste everyone's time...

If you see something wrong, encourage them to try something else, DO NOT make it sound like everything they did is wrong and the ONLY way to do it is YOUR way!!!!!!!!

And then have 500 people beotching about it, try this

say "how about this way" and then offer links or other avenues for them to research the possible error in their ways

I think everyone needs to CHILL OUT, this bickering back and forth the last 6 months IS NOT GOOD for this site or the thousands of people that visit here to see if having a SKOOLIE could also be there dream

I have been part of this and so have other long term members, there are also brand new members that have not gotten to know older members and their quirks, so they have attacked members because something was taken out of context, to me I "know" alot of the members and Who, What, why When and where...so I have overlooked some stuff because I was "used" to it and it didn't offend me...sadly I couldn't see that just because it didn't offend me...it DID offend others and that was not right, I see this now

I know this was long and I wrote this with out site staff knowledge....and this is MY opinion...PLEASE Skoolie-its...let's take a breathe and relax, so we can settle back into a nice educational and entertaining site...

and no grammar police

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Well written.

I just want to say I mean well in all ways.

I only want to help with experience and knowledge.

Everything I post is just my opinion. ( IMO)

I understand we all must take short cuts, use inferior methods, inferior materials. After all, I live in what most people would call a $hit hole. However, living in a shed is just what I had to do.

Please folks, stick around. I enjoy a bit of diversity in our fellow members.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

<applause>

I came here to read, and talk, about skoolies. There are a million other places on the Internet where I can get into religious fights if I really want one.

I Promise To Do My Duty To My Keyboard And To This Forum, To Talk Only About Skoolies And That The Cat 3208 Is Crap, And Hold My Tongue About Everything Else.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Can I add one more thing? Nothing on this site -for the benefit of you or anyone else-has anything to do with any Constitutional rights nor should it turn into an argument about such. Even though there is an "everything else" section of the forum, it does not mean its a good place to be a political platform. "You don't have to read it" as I've been told-well guess what-you don't have to write it either. At least not here.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

I tend to come off a bit preachy sometimes.

I also tend to come off a bit know-it-all sometimes.

In my defense I am a big person who tends to be loud and obnoxious in person. Sometimes the loud and obnoxious will come across the keyboard.

I do not try to offend on purpose. It usually comes as a by product of my personality.

The opinions I share are a result of forty years in the bus business. I have driven just about every type, brand, and size of bus that is yellow with black stripes. I had my own bus company for seven years running all sixes of buses from light duty buses on E-350 cut-away chassis to three axle motorcoaches. I now work for a company that sells buses of every size, shape, color, and purpose. In short, when it comes to the operation of a bus I have BTDT.

But when it comes to projects like roof raises, insulation, plumbing and electrical, and finish work I try to not comment on the how-to's because those skills and experiences are not in my area of expertise. I like to read about them and ask questions on the off chance I might actually do a conversion some day.

Good luck and happy trails to all of you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I typed out a lengthy response and its vanished...
Well said, Doug. You're a hell of a guy.
Taskswap and sdwarf- I totally agree.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
If there was only one way to build a bus...there would be no Skoolie Forum!

There is some amazing talent here as well as a boatload of experience. And those both come attached to "personalities". That's just how the world works. Me...I am happy to learn something new from just about anyone, regardless of their "charm factor" or seniority. Very often it takes a newcomer who "doesn't know any better" to come up with new ideas, so Ive learned to listen to anyone...consider their thoughts...then try to do what makes the most sense for me in my situation.

I do agree that we should all remember why we are here and keep it respectful. We all have more in common here than we have differences.

Thanks Basil!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That right there is funny, taskswap.

Thanks bansil for the thoughtful comments. It's good for all of to kind of re-center from time to time on what we're really coming here for.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I typed out a lengthy response and its vanished...
Well said, Doug. You're a hell of a guy.
Taskswap and sdwarf- I totally agree.
Wait, Doug is a hell of a guy but sdwarf and I are just agreeable? WTH? It's ON!
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Great article Bansil....needed to be said.

My problem is, and I didn't see it referenced in your article is that I frequently post things like:

Allright Dragonpop. quit hitting on the new girl, this is not Match.com
(in response to Pop welcoming the poor girl)

It's all in jest & little one liners like that just comes out of me whenever the urge strikes me. It's just a joke (or I thought it funny when I wrote it) But Dragonpop took me serious and I feel I offended him. We kissed & made up but my question is and I am honestly not trying to stir up trouble here I'm just curious as to how should we be handling humor? Should we preface it by specifically announcing that I am joking or should this too be squelched?

Thanks, Sharlene (aka Booger1k)
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 AM   #11
Bus Geek

I personally think the best way to use humor or express emotions/feelings (works on other sites) is to use emoticons to express your feelings.

ie allright Dragonpop. quit hitting on the new girl, this is not Match.com ;)

Now I would add a "finger shaking one after dragonpop" or maybe

All right dragon pop [snickers and waves finger] now, now, quit hitting on the new girl, this is not match.com ;)

So many different ways adding j/k could work, I like using emoticons

I know this site lacks them, and I say make a thread in admin area, I can think of at least 5 that need to be standard

And I have also decided at times to just not make the joke....the above I would of done tho'

That last sentence could be taken as smartazznis adding a grin takes some weight off it though
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Funny pictures and memes can do that too... If used carefully.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22
Glad his reminder is here . Sometimes I just need to clean up my act,even if its only acting silly. I also like the icons or smilies.
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It always seem clear when someone is joking, but some people always find a way to take it the wrong way. I don't understand that because there don't seem to be any inherently mean people on here. It it's over the line, it's most generally meant as a joke even if it didn't fly that way. Most of us raise the issue immediately if there seems to be mean things being said. Nobody wants any hard feelings here.
With that said, I don't like emoticons. It reminds me of communicating with my children. On the other hand it does signify your intent more clearly.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
From a n00b prespective, I've been reading a lot of older threads, and you can almost see an "evolution in behavior".

I've also seen when someone was accused of being "temperamental" by someone else...however, when reading the posts, all looked OK to me.

What i'm trying to say is writing something on a forum, email, IM, sms can be taken out of context and interpreted different ways by different people; that's why i try always to post following at least two rules:
1. KISS - keep it stupid-simple
2. use emojis to convey particular emotions

when i read replies, i always read it multiple times if unclear and before jumping to conclusions.
Now back to *cough* i mean....work...
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Good point.

Hey, you can't be a noob forever!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Good point.

Hey, you can't be a noob forever!

Nah...compared to the knowledge on here, in general...always a n00b ;)
Besides, helps me stay humble
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Well said everyone.

With this large and diverse a group spread all across the continent, and further, there are bound to be disagreements at times. Maybe we do get to comfortable with speaking our minds sometimes. I don't think humor is the problem most of the time, although with this faceless interface of personalities it's easy to take something the wrong way. Most disagreements about builds are clarified and resolved quickly. Disagreements about religion or other subjects don't belong under this subject matter.

You folks on here are great about sharing knowledge. Everyone appreciates the learning opportunity, especially from you experts.

Winlock, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Your advise is sought after again and again. Thank you for sharing and getting most of us back on track. I appreciate that you and other experts take the time to respond to the rest of us wannabees. And yes, some great ideas even from noobs.

There will always be a certain amount of discourse in a group this large and diverse. They haven't overcome that problem in the military after years and years. There does have to be a certain level of respect for what other people are doing regardless of how they choose to do it.

All of you are right.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

I came here to see if I wanted to get a "schoolie", I do. I've been quietly looking around reading about some o of the conversions, and I gotta say I feel pretty small when I see what some have done. But, love the progress that some have made. It's a wonder to me that folks can be so annal about detail and still function in this world. If, and when, I can do a bus, I want to be as good as some of you are. ....but it probably won't happen. I do appreciate the information provided by everyone here and I mean everyone. I'll try and mind my own business and not be judgemental of anyone else. I do think this is great forum and you are all great people.
GWinKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Dixie Bushcraft is offline   Reply With Quote