Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
I love that this thread has morphed into a Dead concert!

In the '90s I worked for Ticketron and used to run the box office for a lot of shows including several Dead shows. They used to have to fly us in by helicopter because the roads were so jammed getting to the venue. I always thought Deadheads were a nice peaceful bunch until I did those box offices; once you've had the glass in front of you kicked in by people desperate for a ticket, or watched a Deadhead run up and snatch the tickets out of the hand of another Deadhead and take off with them, your view of that changes. That stuff never happened at any shows except the Dead. It was an interesting bunch, I'll say that much for them!

Thanks for taking my mind off things. I really appreciate you guys.
I'm not surprised. Dead lot could be a pretty sad place at times. What era of the Dead was that when you worked?
The scene has morphed into a spectacle of human ruin and consumerism. But they made some great music back in the day.
Peace, pot, and microdot!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Jesus, dude, that brings me back. Haven't heard anyone say that in like 30 years. Also haven't been to a show since the last one at Soldier Field in 95.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
What era of the Dead was that when you worked?

Well, it was the '90s; don't know what musical era that was for them because I've never really been into the band (sorry!).
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Jesus, dude, that brings me back. Haven't heard anyone say that in like 30 years. Also haven't been to a show since the last one at Soldier Field in 95.
That show truly was the LAST one. I hate what they've become now.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, it was the '90s; don't know what musical era that was for them because I've never really been into the band (sorry!).
By the mid-80's the scene was already changing. By the 90's it was still cool but had a dark element as you witnessed.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jesus, dude, that brings me back. Haven't heard anyone say that in like 30 years.

At least!

(....but I was partial to barrels, myself....)

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
Try this. . . .

Quote:
I try to stay optimistic through all my recent problems, bus related and otherwise. But I am losing the battle today.

If you've read my other threads you know that I had to get the transmission rebuilt on my bus, Buster Lewis, in Des Moines during my move from CA to MA, then upon arrival my diesel engine was served a tankful of gasoline thanks to a careless Ford dealership, which kept it in and out of the shop for the better part of 2 months.

Recently the battle has been with the cold, that is, trying to start Buster up in it. It was OK for a while. Now it's not, and I'm back in the no-start zone.

It feels as if things will never be right again with this bus.

It was so easy in the beginning, back in CA. Buster started every time I turned the key. Now, it's a daily juggling act. I know it's not that reasonable to expect a 27 year old vehicle to perform flawlessly, but I've barely ever driven a vehicle newer than 20 years in my life and I have never had so many problems. People are constantly asking me why I persevere, why I don't get rid of this thing and cut my losses. But I feel like they don't even begin to understand what those losses would be, the time and energy and money I've already put in. Or what this bus stands for to me, how much of it is about having something that's completely and totally MINE after giving up everything I had.

My Mom is moving ever closer to dementia, and now even my DOG has been diagnosed with dementia. This is a lot to deal with. It's enough. I had a pretty big vintage store back in California, and the main reason I threw in the towel on it, though I acted like I was going off on some adventure, was to come back here for my mother, who is struggling since the death of my Dad, her husband of 58 years. Despite all the problems, one of my few joys right now has been having Buster the Bus.

In reality, I can't imagine giving up the bus. I feel like our journey has just begun, and yes, I'm aware how corny that sounds. We haven't even really had a chance. First it was the stress of shutting the shop down and getting ready enough to hit the road, then it was the actual trip and the problems that came up there. Then 2 months of on and off separation because of the various issues brought on by the gas problems. Now, whatever this is: I don't even know anymore what the problem is. I've been waiting 3 weeks for my mechanic to be able to take Buster. I'm past the point of anything I can realistically fix myself, and I need a professional. But it's not going to be cheap because it never is. Not having a working large vehicle (or ANY vehicle - this is all I have) has cost me money because I can't get to flea markets and vintage shows to sell my wares without transportation. I'm throwing money I don't actually have at the problem.

Am I absolutely nuts to be trying to keep this bus? I love everything about it, except that it doesn't work. But that's a big something, probably the biggest. I am just so discouraged and confused right now. I thought I was out of the woods, at least bus wise (though the other aspects of life and getting steadily worse), and now I'm right back in.

I'm not looking for mechanical advice. I guess what I'm looking for is a pep talk. I don't even know.

Think of your bus as a journey, full of twists, turns and surprises. Each new challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow. Isn’t that life in a nutshell? As far as the starting issue goes, gey a block heater. They are not expensive and should be easy/cheap to install. Sometimes, the cold starting issue is nothing more than the relay that sends heat to your glowplugs. All of your lights will come on and go off as if everything is fine, but the plugs are not getting juiced. When I was in AK, I had an oil pan heater stuck in as well. My injectors in my F250 pickup are oil operated, and at -25, oil becomes a solid. Those heaters are cheap and easy to install, and between the pan heater and block heater drew less than 15 amps. You don’t need to run the heat all the time. Run it for one hour for every 10 deg F it is below 20 deg F. IOW, if it’s 0 deg outside, you should only need to run it for two hours. A portable gen can take care of power if you’re away from shore power.

I am having my obstacles and I am just getting started. When I gey stuck, I walk away, ask questions, and (so far) the next day the problem is solved.

Cheers and blessings on your journey!

James
Tanker Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

I grew up on MN; many of our friends and MercedesBenz diesels, and they all had engine heaters so they could start in the dead of winter.. There is also an additive you can put in the fuel tank that will lower the gel temperature of the fuel; I can't remember the brand name.
Roberta's Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta's Man View Post
I grew up on MN; many of our friends and MercedesBenz diesels, and they all had engine heaters so they could start in the dead of winter.. There is also an additive you can put in the fuel tank that will lower the gel temperature of the fuel; I can't remember the brand name.
There are a couple I used in AK. I can’t remember the names either. One was in a small red bottle. It was IK to use in dry climates. Otherwuse, the way it burns it turns the moisture into high pressure steam - extremely corrosive! I used this stuff: https://www.ruralking.com/80oz-power-service-diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost-treatment-01080-06?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=s hopping&utm_content=90181023&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvru gsOui3wIVwh-tBh3M9AoiEAQYAiABEgLlqvD_BwE. They make two products. This one, “+ Cetane Boost” is better.
Tanker Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #30

Hey I know what you mean when the bus won't work and it did before. That is quite frustrating. I had that plenty of times. This last time it turned out to be just a battery I needed. The dashboard says when it says volt that the level just with the key turned before cranking should say about 12.5-14 volts. If it's any lower there's a possible dead or dying battery situation. Mine was saying 9.5. What does your voltage indicator say.
Galbus97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird Micro Bird
Engine: GMC 3500
Sometimes, when everything gets to be too much, something has to give. It seems like in this situation it's your bus. Maybe consider just taking some time off, even if it's just a few weeks to spend time with your family. It may give you the space to really think about what's best for YOU. Don't give up, but take a breath. The health of you & your family is most important. I hope you find your answers <3
graceashlynn.arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #32
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
hang in there !...…..don't let it sit and forget about it.....because Buster will feel neglected and pout.....and be even more difficult. Keep on it...….sometimes your subconscious will summon the answer when you sleep on it !
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
You could take the oil dipstick out and measure it, they make heaters that plug into 120v and you put it in place of the dipstick. I’m not sure how effective they are, but you might give that a shot

15200 - KAT's 90 Watt Oil Dipstick Heater ZeroStart 15200 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KB38T9N..._GKzfCbZZBXFX1
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
For the record, "Buster" is a thing; it is not human... Further, OP: firebuild, I encourage you to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6

Merry Christmas?
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird / Microbird
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: Chevy Vortec 6.0 gas
Rated Cap: 30
Go with your gut.
You'll know when it's time to move on.
Good luck xoxoxo
Whywalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Hi, Firebuild!
I found this thread just now -- shortly after returning home from a 2 1/2 hours long psychotherapy appointment. Yup, plenty of overwhelmed in me. So I understand a bit. And you did right to speak up -- that's what friends are for.

Feel free to PM me, but best to use Facebook messages or regular e-mail. The PM system here seems difficult to navigate, and I'm not sure I would even be notified.

Regular e-mail is the surest: elliotnaess@gmail-com.
Shouldn't be hard to find me on Facebook if you prefer that.

The others have given you good mechanical advice.

Have you noticed if the engine requires longer cranking time the longer it has been parked? That was the case with Millicent, and it turned out to be the fuel RETURN hose, which allowed air into it, but not fuel out of it. Makes no sense, but after I changed that one hose, she fires up by just looking at the key and smiling.

My 5.9 liter Cummins has THREE batteries. And the first set lasted almost ten years.

I'm not clear on how your two are arranged. But with parallel batteries such as in Millicent, I charge all three at once -- you just want to use a modern charger that will limit its own output so it does not overheat.

When I was trucking, we used the Power Service brand of winter fuel additive to prevent gelling.

In a pinch, we used a small amount of gasoline -- one or two percent. But I don't know how effective that was -- might have been just some "clever idea" the boss had.

Enough for now. I have therapy homework to do.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #37
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72
Are you familiar with turning the key to the on position( not full turn to start) for 2 or so minutes before trying to crank it? I’m also in MA. Let me know if you need anything. I’m south of Boston.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #38

Coachwork: Microlight toy hauler
What they said

Hey Firebuild- What a great community here. Be greatful. Wisdom for this morning: note to self- reread ComfortEagle's post (and videos). We need to have this outlook on life always.
Corno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Troubleshooting via forum is impossible but there are a few common diesel engine items with which you may already be familiar.

1. If you have an engine with glow plugs, you have to let them heat up.

2. You may need to heat the engine, especially if it does not have glow plugs. Some diesels (without glow plugs) are not easy to start as warm as 50 degrees. Depending on your heater, engine, and OAT; this can take a long time (as in six hours or more).

3. If it is actually cold (10-15 degrees), you may need an anti-gelling additive. This may have already been added if you purchased 'winter fuel' (there may be a more technical name).

Hth!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePimentals View Post
Are you familiar with turning the key to the on position( not full turn to start) for 2 or so minutes before trying to crank it? I’m also in MA. Let me know if you need anything. I’m south of Boston.
I hear that in Southie loyalty is more important than a gun?
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote