Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,131
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the first few times i was unprepared for what happens. its a scary learning curve. now with some practice i'm much better.

1st time descending i-70 was a white knuckle, change your shorts trip. once coming out of rocky mountain national park, i caught the rear brakes on fire.

you cant depend on the transmission or your brakes to slow you down too much, they dont. you just have to go slow, or get a bus with a retarder.

Learning curve you say?
I'm still trying to keep the pedal to the floor... I haven't driven AWE ONE on roads good enough to run wide open. Hopefully one day I can let her get her wings and fly.
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the first few times i was unprepared for what happens. its a scary learning curve. now with some practice i'm much better.

1st time descending i-70 was a white knuckle, change your shorts trip. once coming out of rocky mountain national park, i caught the rear brakes on fire.

you cant depend on the transmission or your brakes to slow you down too much, they dont. you just have to go slow, or get a bus with a retarder.

Glad I have the retarder then. Even though I don't have many mountains around me
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,836
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I have a retarder and even with that it was hard to stop the bus from 55 MPH towing the 3000# toad. Part of the problem is that the retarders shut down at about 30 MPH to keep the engine from stalling and it is that last bit of momentum that is hardest to overcome. I installed a Brake Buddy in my toad and once I learned how to force it to engage, stopping is much better. On mine, forcing the BB to engage requires a quick jab at the brake pedal followed by constant light or heavy application as necessary to get the rig stopped. The bus brakes are ABS. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the first few times i was unprepared for what happens. its a scary learning curve. now with some practice i'm much better.

1st time descending i-70 was a white knuckle, change your shorts trip. once coming out of rocky mountain national park, i caught the rear brakes on fire.

you cant depend on the transmission or your brakes to slow you down too much, they dont. you just have to go slow, or get a bus with a retarder.
I've seen a bunch of retarded buses for sale in my search...
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by bread519 View Post
So getting half the normal mpg towing 3k pounds is normal?

10-12mpg without the trailer is average

I would be wary of the 10-12mpg figures unless you got them yourself. Do you have a baseline trip, without the toad, to gauge by?
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
I would be wary of the 10-12mpg figures unless you got them yourself. Do you have a baseline trip, without the toad, to gauge by?

Nope that was my first ride home. But I have done extensive research on this particular drivetrain and manufacturer, and the lowest figures I found were 10mpg

We shall see though, I'll be ok with 9 but I bet I can squeeze 10 out of her with some practice
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Just remember that once you break 55 MPH, mileage starts to drop quickly. After 55, aerodynamics becomes the largest factor in efficiency and grows very rapidly the faster you travel. That also includes any additional drag your toad adds to the package.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I have a retarder and even with that it was hard to stop the bus from 55 MPH towing the 3000# toad. Part of the problem is that the retarders shut down at about 30 MPH to keep the engine from stalling and it is that last bit of momentum that is hardest to overcome. I installed a Brake Buddy in my toad and once I learned how to force it to engage, stopping is much better. On mine, forcing the BB to engage requires a quick jab at the brake pedal followed by constant light or heavy application as necessary to get the rig stopped. The bus brakes are ABS. Jack


My retarder doesn't cut off till around 10 mph. Maybe they differ between brands.
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Just remember that once you break 55 MPH, mileage starts to drop quickly. After 55, aerodynamics becomes the largest factor in efficiency and grows very rapidly the faster you travel. That also includes any additional drag your toad adds to the package.
My bus is 4.78 rear end, so 65 is spinning faster than I would care for. Maybe someday I'll change it, for now I'll cut it down to 55. And you're totally right, this thing is definitely a brick traveling at those speeds
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.