Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Poor fuel mileage towing the toad

So I'm almost home from my 1200 mile excursion, and I'm a bit disappointed in my fuel mileage. I didn't track the first few tanks but I'm guessing they were less than 7mpg. The first tank I tracked was 6.5, and the second was 7.5 (while trying to milk it by slowing down my pace to 55-60). The first tanks were pedal to the floor the whole time. I avg about 60-62 mph at 2400-2600 rpm.

From what I've heard from the previous owner and other Genesis owners with the dt466 mt643 combo, I expected a bit better. Am I hoping for too much with the toad? It only weighs 2600 pounds. I also have a motorcycle and a small 300 pound trailer inside. As well as some furnishings.

I'm a bit discouraged, let's hear your input
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
somewhereinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 2,062
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Sounds about right to me.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
So getting half the normal mpg towing 3k pounds is normal?

10-12mpg without the trailer is average
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
turf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,598
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i'm around 7mpg towing, pedal to the metal (65ish). if i slow down a bit to 55ish, mileage goes way up. i just don't like going that slow.
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i'm around 7mpg towing, pedal to the metal (65ish). if i slow down a bit to 55ish, mileage goes way up. i just don't like going that slow.


Which engine and trans?
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
turf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,598
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
its in my signature, 93 bluebird TC2000, Cummins 5.9, AT545, 4.7 rear, 11x22.5 tires.
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
its in my signature, 93 bluebird TC2000, Cummins 5.9, AT545, 4.7 rear, 11x22.5 tires.
Signatures don't show on the mobile site for me. Well with me having the mt643 I would think I would get a little bit better, but you also have a smaller displacement. So maybe that's what makes us equal
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
turf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,598
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
when i hear 10-12mpg on this forum and others, i kinda roll my eyes. its wishful thinking, maybe once in my ownership and doing the math, i've come around 9.?, which is close enough for me to say 10. i also have a generator that runs off of the same tank, so that makes my numbers go down as well.
i keep the pedal on the floor when i drive.
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
when i hear 10-12mpg on this forum and others, i kinda roll my eyes. its wishful thinking, maybe once in my ownership and doing the math, i've come around 9.?, which is close enough for me to say 10. i also have a generator that runs off of the same tank, so that makes my numbers go down as well.
i keep the pedal on the floor when i drive.
How well do you get along with that AT545 in the mountains?
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:22 AM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
turf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,598
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
the first few times i was unprepared for what happens. its a scary learning curve. now with some practice i'm much better.

1st time descending i-70 was a white knuckle, change your shorts trip. once coming out of rocky mountain national park, i caught the rear brakes on fire.

you cant depend on the transmission or your brakes to slow you down too much, they dont. you just have to go slow, or get a bus with a retarder.
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,360
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the first few times i was unprepared for what happens. its a scary learning curve. now with some practice i'm much better.

1st time descending i-70 was a white knuckle, change your shorts trip. once coming out of rocky mountain national park, i caught the rear brakes on fire.

you cant depend on the transmission or your brakes to slow you down too much, they dont. you just have to go slow, or get a bus with a retarder.

Learning curve you say?
I'm still trying to keep the pedal to the floor... I haven't driven AWE ONE on roads good enough to run wide open. Hopefully one day I can let her get her wings and fly.
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the first few times i was unprepared for what happens. its a scary learning curve. now with some practice i'm much better.

1st time descending i-70 was a white knuckle, change your shorts trip. once coming out of rocky mountain national park, i caught the rear brakes on fire.

you cant depend on the transmission or your brakes to slow you down too much, they dont. you just have to go slow, or get a bus with a retarder.

Glad I have the retarder then. Even though I don't have many mountains around me
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,430
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I have a retarder and even with that it was hard to stop the bus from 55 MPH towing the 3000# toad. Part of the problem is that the retarders shut down at about 30 MPH to keep the engine from stalling and it is that last bit of momentum that is hardest to overcome. I installed a Brake Buddy in my toad and once I learned how to force it to engage, stopping is much better. On mine, forcing the BB to engage requires a quick jab at the brake pedal followed by constant light or heavy application as necessary to get the rig stopped. The bus brakes are ABS. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the first few times i was unprepared for what happens. its a scary learning curve. now with some practice i'm much better.

1st time descending i-70 was a white knuckle, change your shorts trip. once coming out of rocky mountain national park, i caught the rear brakes on fire.

you cant depend on the transmission or your brakes to slow you down too much, they dont. you just have to go slow, or get a bus with a retarder.
I've seen a bunch of retarded buses for sale in my search...
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bread519 View Post
So getting half the normal mpg towing 3k pounds is normal?

10-12mpg without the trailer is average

I would be wary of the 10-12mpg figures unless you got them yourself. Do you have a baseline trip, without the toad, to gauge by?
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
I would be wary of the 10-12mpg figures unless you got them yourself. Do you have a baseline trip, without the toad, to gauge by?

Nope that was my first ride home. But I have done extensive research on this particular drivetrain and manufacturer, and the lowest figures I found were 10mpg

We shall see though, I'll be ok with 9 but I bet I can squeeze 10 out of her with some practice
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 378
Just remember that once you break 55 MPH, mileage starts to drop quickly. After 55, aerodynamics becomes the largest factor in efficiency and grows very rapidly the faster you travel. That also includes any additional drag your toad adds to the package.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I have a retarder and even with that it was hard to stop the bus from 55 MPH towing the 3000# toad. Part of the problem is that the retarders shut down at about 30 MPH to keep the engine from stalling and it is that last bit of momentum that is hardest to overcome. I installed a Brake Buddy in my toad and once I learned how to force it to engage, stopping is much better. On mine, forcing the BB to engage requires a quick jab at the brake pedal followed by constant light or heavy application as necessary to get the rig stopped. The bus brakes are ABS. Jack


My retarder doesn't cut off till around 10 mph. Maybe they differ between brands.
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Just remember that once you break 55 MPH, mileage starts to drop quickly. After 55, aerodynamics becomes the largest factor in efficiency and grows very rapidly the faster you travel. That also includes any additional drag your toad adds to the package.
My bus is 4.78 rear end, so 65 is spinning faster than I would care for. Maybe someday I'll change it, for now I'll cut it down to 55. And you're totally right, this thing is definitely a brick traveling at those speeds
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×