Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Skoolie

Portable air Conditioner

Anyone have one? i'm curious as to how well they work. Seems a lot easier than messing with a roof unit. Any ideas which of these might be best? Good/Bad brands, features, etc.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=9604536

or Sam’s has:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... tem=364628

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... tem=363811

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... tem=364625

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... tem=395774

davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Portable air Conditioner

try installing a secondary shade roof or rooftop platform to shade the roof, allow space for air circulation. I cool a 12000 cubic ft garage with a 8000cfm wall shaker and it stays comfortable as long as the doors are kept closed. the garage sets in direct sunlite sunup to sundown but it is well insulated.
has anyone tried mounting an airconditioner in the basement and ducting the air up thru the floor?
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Skoolie

Wouldn't you know it. We're headed out to the Guadalupe to Tube. T-minus 3 hours and counting. Oh well. You TGing for the Tejas game in ATX this year? If so, maybe we'll mee up there. We'll be down that night.

Have a safe trip up.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Saty away from the portables, they are not very efficient and they take up a lot of room. I had a 8000 btu unit and it didn't measure up. I returned it and got a window unit, which cools the bus well. Again, don't get a portable.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Skoolie

Thanks for confirming. Sam's Club has some GE 10k BTU Window Unit ACs for $209. We're planning to install two of these with shrouds around them that vent the exhaust outside. They're uber cheap compared to everything else we've looked at.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Hey David,

Check with Wally World also. I found that Waly World's sale prices sometimes beats Sam's. Go figure, both of the stores are in the same company, but Sam's is suppose to be cheaper.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8
Hey David,

Check with Wally World also. I found that Waly World's sale prices sometimes beats Sam's. Go figure, both of the stores are in the same company, but Sam's is suppose to be cheaper.
Generally Sam's has the best everyday price comparing apples to apples. They also tend to have better quality stuff, so if you're looking at the same brand with the same specs and Sam's is cheaper, it may just be a better model and worth the extra money. On the other hand, they don't pricematch, don't believe they accept coupons (could be wrong), and don't have regular sales. Even then, sometimes the regular price on stuff there can indeed be more than at Wal-Mart. I've seen big bulk packages of items that would be cheaper if you bought multiple smaller packs at Wal-Mart.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote