Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Portable Generator Muffler?

I bought one of those portable generators when I first got my bus. I never even use it now because I have enough battery capacity to last through the weekend. I might use it more if it was quieter.

I have the Generac G1000M, it has a 2.5HP Mitsubishi OHV Engine anyone know if I can find a muffler I can put on this thing. I have even considered taking the plastic case apart and building a frame for the engine so I can mount it directly onto the bus.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

i know how to make less noise with your generator.....buy a honda eu2000 and get rid of the noisy beast.

Or try and find an 1800 rpm generator. these are much quieter than the standard 3600 rpm geni.

I would love a honda EU, but i don't have the money. It's on the wishlist..

From what i've read, most noisy generators are not significantly quieter with a better muffler because the engine and generator itself makes a lot of noise.

Distance and Shielding both help. The problem with shielding is that most small engines are air cooled requiring lots of air flow. Putting the geni in an insulated box would make it much quieter, but without the proper precautions the engine would soon overheat.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
i know how to make less noise with your generator.....buy a honda eu2000 and get rid of the noisy beast.
I've had it up for sale for almost a year now, I decided since I am probably not going to get rid of it I should try doing something with it.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote