Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
PREBUILT - 1960 GMC Superior, Diesel pusher, Detroit 6-53

Conversion, Diesel Pusher - $4850 (SEDRO WOOLLEY)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/r...483068949.html

Drive it away! 1960 GMC Superior, Diesel pusher, Detroit 6-53, Allison automatic. Does have air brakes, power steering, easy and fun to drive. Runs like a top! 35' LOA. Rear bedroom not finished. Comes with newer furnace, hot water heater, water pump. Older conversion but has been well cared for. Also has an onboard generator but I never did start it. May consider trades, especially a dual sport, or classic car.

This looked like such a good starter for anyone that doesn't want to do the whole build thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20180204-110320.png  

Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MC-7
Engine: 8V92 DD 400hp
Rated Cap: 39k
Good looking bus!
Birdarchitect26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

That looks like it could be a real fun, head turner. Not sure it would be anything I'd be able to maintain, but it does have that retro vibe. How is that Detroit to work on? Can't see the condition of the tires, but I bet they gotta be $1200+ to replace.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The 6V53's have a very good service reputation like many 2-stroke diesels.

But...be advised of that engines nickname..."The Screamer". Without a doubt the loudest motor this side of the Space Shuttle. Had one in my last BBAA and it was painful at times. They are Vee motors and they run at higher RPM's than most diesels...about three grand. They range from 216 hp to 320 depending on how they are aspirated. Some are normal, some are turbo and some (most it seems) were supercharged (mine was). They were very popular as marine engines for many decades which is a good indicator of the reputation for reliability.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

But...be advised of that engines nickname..."The Screamer". Without a doubt the loudest motor this side of the Space Shuttle. Had one in my last BBAA and it was painful at times. They are Vee motors and they run at higher RPM's than most diesels...about three grand. They range from 216 hp to 320 depending on how they are aspirated. Some are normal, some are turbo and some (most it seems) were supercharged (mine was). They were very popular as marine engines for many decades which is a good indicator of the reputation for reliability.
I may or may not know where a supercharger NOS is for that motor. I don't even own the motor, but wanted that pretty blower.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
FWIW...the blower was probably half the noise.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
Bus Nut

As much as I like the retro look, it is more bus than we need. Add the fact that is a little longer of a "test drive" trip than I would want to undertake. (specially with a screaming engine....even if it is a pusher ) I'll let someone closer to it, have it.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was 1000 miles closer. Way cool!

53's are alright reliability wise. They are screamers for sure. Being a 2 stroke the noise they make resembles a normal v6 at 6 grand . I'd love one in a bus though because the sound is unmistakable. I've just never seen one close to me that was for sale at a decent price.

As far as blowers and stuff go. The only 2 cycle detroits that didn't have a blower were the 51 series, and I've never seen one. All the other 53 and larger engines have to be blown in order to push in the intake air. They really aren't there to create boost or anything like that. When a turbo is added, most will have a bypass blower to allow the more efficient turbo to supply the air when it is spooled up.

If you're looking for a good sound video of a 6v53, Here is my favorite.
https://youtu.be/7NpCexF3zH8
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Sweet sound. It would sure cover up the little lady's yapping all the way from Washington (far North Washington) to Texas. Oh wait it's a pusher........wait, I don't think the wife would want to sit in the back, all that way.

Just kidding, I love my wife.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I was just noticing the right side mirror. It doesn't look like it would be visible from the driver's seat. It's mounted on the forward door post.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I thought the same thing. That pillar seems to block the view. Another thing I noticed was the extra high step needed to enter the passenger door. It pushes the limit of a "high" step.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

I bet this engine was in the pre-ADA GMC transits...I loved that roar...wish I had the money...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote