Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Propane mount: Inquiry. Your opinion matters

I simply want to run this buy the group. One of the other forums I participate in has had a discussion: On one thread specific to the photo I will add the consensus is that this mounting is safe and acceptable. I would be interesting hearing the opinions of this group...............I know where I stand but I won't steer the direction of this inquiry there. Really would like to hear the opinions of all of you..............
Attached Thumbnails
propane mount.jpg  

Old 05-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I guess safe and acceptable for some folks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I guess safe and acceptable for some folks.

What folks? Seems to me it's a sure fired way.........pun intended.......to get rid of those pesky gnats when you've finally reached wits end. With the correct impact you'd likely be able to take out the entire insect population in a 100 yard radius.............notice also it's just forward of the fuel tank.......you get T-boned in that thing and you're toast. Literally
Old 05-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I'm guessing that set up was NOT DOT approved. Mighty close to the ground too. Many states would ban any such a mount from rolling anywhere if not DOT approved for over the road use. Might even be a Fed (Interstate) issue.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
What folks? Seems to me it's a sure fired way.........pun intended.......to get rid of those pesky gnats when you've finally reached wits end. With the correct impact you'd likely be able to take out the entire insect population in a 100 yard radius.............notice also it's just forward of the fuel tank.......you get T-boned in that thing and you're toast. Literally
Yeah.
I wouldn't even wanna live next door to that propane setup.
Scary.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Well in all fairness it does look a lot like any other permanently installed LP tank. The chain suspension is.. unique.. but I guess not so different from using sheet metal straps. Just the same, I look at it and think "that just isn't right."

For one thing, it looks like a conventional 100 lb tank laid on its side. I don't think those are intended to be mounted sideways, so a person runs the risk of drawing liquid rather than gaseous propane. That could really cause problems down at the appliance..
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

If it had a roll cage around it might be okay; but since they used chain and ply wood, I would guess that metal fab isn't high up on their qualified jobs list

I wouldn't roll with it unless it is post apocalyptic; and then it has the Mad Max look going for it and it would be acceptable since you all could come over for a BBQ
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I'm guessing that set up was NOT DOT approved. Mighty close to the ground too. Many states would ban any such a mount from rolling anywhere if not DOT approved for over the road use. Might even be a Fed (Interstate) issue.

I totally agree it would NEVER be approved by any agency State or Federal.

It's an accident waiting to happen. And unfortunately those who have chosen this "install" are also jeopardizing others. It doesn't pass the smell test and is totally irresponsible.

On the other hand they may be able to drive this bus "forever" and experience nothing bad. And on the other hand there first night trip and an ill placed rock or boulder could leave them little more than a 38ft incendiary device that hopefully they will survive..........Thanks for your thought Tango
Old 05-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
it is mighty low to the ground, not something you will want to drive a lot,

it is a lot of weight placed on just 4 of the support beams, perhaps bolting a 12ft long beam to every support beam and then bolting the 4 chains to that beam might spread the weight,

Is their some type of C channel under the chains to protect the tank? do you have some type of rubber pad under the C channel?

It looks like 1500lb chain, are those old grade 5 bolts? they look like 3/8in, originally they were good for about 6000lbs but if old or abused might be a lot less, are they bolted all the way into the floor or just through one thickness of the floor beam, the beam would need to probably be 1/4in thick just to match the strength of the chain, would consider putting a second nut on the bolts with loctite,

when I added my second fuel tank I tied all the weight to the main bus frame and not to the floor beams, I did not know for sure or not if the floor beams could take the 600lb weight of the tank, but I could tell that every truck and bus fuel tank I had ever seen was tied only to the main frame and not to the floor,
Old 05-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
Bus Nut

dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Thanks Bubb-the real one

All valid points. Not my Bus so I can't answer to or for this build. For me I don't even need to get into the fine points you made: I don't care personally if that thing is wrapped around the frame, which of course would make more sense than rusty pieces of floor support. LOL

I simply can't get past the location. I looks like a bomb hanging from the wing of a B52 Bomber.....................I'd rather have one of these tanks wrapped and packed under a built in inside the bus: I just can't see this at all..........
Old 05-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Alright, you got my curiosity going. So I've been trying to determine whether there actually are any DOT regulations that would apply to this setup. I found a few little nuggets in a Safety Tips document from Suburban Propane here. It seems that vehicles carrying less than 1000 pounds total weight of propane and tanks do not require placarding. Open-bodied vehicles, like the underside of a bus, are considered to be in compliance with the isolation of cargo space from driver's compartment. If the capacity of the cylinder is less than or equal to 45 pounds then the cylinder may be transported in any orientation. Cylinders shall be fastened in position to minimize possibility of movement, tipping, and physical damage. Etc.

I couldn't come up with anything "by the book" that says this setup is wrong.. although yes it does look sketchy.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Alright, you got my curiosity going. So I've been trying to determine whether there actually are any DOT regulations that would apply to this setup. I found a few little nuggets in a Safety Tips document from Suburban Propane here. It seems that vehicles carrying less than 1000 pounds total weight of propane and tanks do not require placarding. Open-bodied vehicles, like the underside of a bus, are considered to be in compliance with the isolation of cargo space from driver's compartment. If the capacity of the cylinder is less than or equal to 45 pounds then the cylinder may be transported in any orientation. Cylinders shall be fastened in position to minimize possibility of movement, tipping, and physical damage. Etc.

I couldn't come up with anything "by the book" that says this setup is wrong.. although yes it does look sketchy.

I also did a cursory search and found nothing. However, there may be state regulations, or this may fall into industry standards regarding Campers, RV's and motorhomes.......I'm sure I could come up with something with a diligent search. Though not sure I would find anything that stated you couldn't do it "under law".......What I can say for certain is that I would NEVER.......NEVER...........NEVER lay a propane tank or anything 3 inches from the pavement; But particularly a bomb. This kind of stuff in my opinion needs to be high up between the frame rails just as my air tanks are: And we have the technology to extend the fill, the regulator and gauge to a place high up for ease of use.

Thanks Family Wagon.......... Sketchy? Yeah and then some.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I say replace plywood with a hinged fiberglass cone and add some tail fins, a little paint and walla!

You will be added to another list and border crossings could be interdasting mmmuaa hahaha [Twisting mustache emoticon]
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
I say replace plywood with a hinged fiberglass cone and add some tail fins, a little paint and walla!

You will be added to another list and border crossings could be interdasting mmmuaa hahaha [Twisting mustache emoticon]

Perfect Bansil..............absolutely perfect............couldn't agree more. Or just move it further underneath to the middle of the bus with a bombardier in a glass turret. And make no bones about it. I'm on a suicide mission and if I have my way I won't be going alone...........
Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Lol, one comment here made me think of how I clear the Miskito's out of my shed every night.

A can of starting fluid and a lighter. The fire ball burns their wings off, and they drop to the floor.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
If nothing else...it could be banned as an improvised explosive device.

Take the Al Quieda Hound...and leave the driving to us!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote