Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: PROS/CONS of a Roof rack?

Well............ If you do put a water tank on the roof?
How much higher will it be? You could fill it from the ground if you ran a line up to the tank...

How much higher is it now before you add anything?

How high is it with just the rack?

A little inspection will go a long way in telling you how well it's attached to the roof.......

What are your and his plans for the roof and/or rack?

Do you see yourself up there lounging or is it for extra storage space? or?

If you both are going to be living in the bus you both need to learn to talk and compromise...

Living in small/ tight quarters can be a blessing or a nightmare depending on how well you get a long.

No answers, just more questions?????

Best of luck in your decision... me I would keep it?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I want to put a roof rack on my bus, and I don't even know what I'm going to use it for! I just think a roof rack on a bus is awesome!
So many possibilities: observation deck, canoe carrier, bike rack, solar panel mounting, solar shower tank holder, place to mount a "big mac" type storage bin, open-air sleeping under the stars, place to hide from your family so you can read a book, ... I'm sure others can come up with many more uses...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

heck,,do has i did put an air dam on the back of the roof ,,like the big rigs,,than u can say u got something wild,,,,lol
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

My vote would be yes to a roof rack. My bus came with one and it's staying on there. Mine measures 10 feet to top of rack, that leaves another 42 inches above that. I have a number of
storage boxes that I took off of the semi. I can think of all kind of things to put up there. Like extra filters,belts and hoses, "just in case i need it" extra power cables, extra hose, tools I might need but don't want keep in the basement. I really, really, really,REALLY hate to pay someone else to do something that I am perfectly capable of doing myself (probably quicker and better)so I need to have the proper odds and ends along.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

The roof mounted solar water heating systems skoolies have devised usually consist of ABS/schedule 40 type black tubing with about 10 or 15 gallons of water. This does not raise the height more than a few inches, and doesn't add much weight. It does, however provide a nice free warm/hot shower at the end of the day if you mix it with your cold water from tanks below the bus.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

We are interested in a roof deck also. The roof would end up being a space for solar panels and an escape hatch to the deck. Potentially a couple low pro storage spots for extra/light stuff, but that depends on how we do with undercarriage storage. I can see wind resistance being an issue for some roof racks and decks, but if you closed off the front facing side and added something like a whales tale spoiler (like on a porsche), could you improve the airflow up there?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

Its been my experiance with roof racks that they are hard to push in a head wind and can really show up on a fuel gauge in a bad way. But with a deflector or fairing on the front Im sure that would help alot . I'm seriously considering puting one on the bus I have now, but I think 24inchs is all I'm allow for the height. I want a place to mount solar panels that will lay down flat in transport and perhaps a place were I could sit and watch the drunks below acting like ass clowns. I'm want to keep it lite and strong constructed from 1 inch square tubing 14 ga. wall with 1x4 treated wooden slats, running length wise. But I don't want the total vehicle height to exceed 13 ft.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
The roof mounted solar water heating systems skoolies have devised usually consist of ABS/schedule 40 type black tubing with about 10 or 15 gallons of water. This does not raise the height more than a few inches, and doesn't add much weight. It does, however provide a nice free warm/hot shower at the end of the day if you mix it with your cold water from tanks below the bus.
How about something like the coil systems a little ways down this page:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Po ... eating.htm

Seems like it would be pretty simple to do...even if you didn't have a rack. You just have to make sure it's attached well!

Cheers! B
BelltownBikes is offline   Reply With Quote