Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Protocol Question: LEO's input request

I have a protocol question primarily targetted at our members who are/were in law enforcement.

If stopped by a LEO while driving a bus, what is the preferred protocol? Do I open the door curbside and interact with the officer while his boots remain firmly on the ground, or do I invite him in?

I dont want to use the drivers window as that puts him in a high-risk position near traffic, but by the same token I dont want to have to argue that opening the door for him as a courtesy was an invitation (or implied consent) to a search.

I guess what I'm trying to do is balance my rights against his safety, and do it in a way that isnt viewed as being any species of contempt or compromise.

Thoughts?

GreyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
I have a protocol question primarily targetted at our members who are/were in law enforcement.

If stopped by a LEO while driving a bus, what is the preferred protocol? Do I open the door curbside and interact with the officer while his boots remain firmly on the ground, or do I invite him in?

I dont want to use the drivers window as that puts him in a high-risk position near traffic, but by the same token I dont want to have to argue that opening the door for him as a courtesy was an invitation (or implied consent) to a search.

I guess what I'm trying to do is balance my rights against his safety, and do it in a way that isnt viewed as being any species of contempt or compromise.

Thoughts?
LOL they're like vampires, man... never invite them in!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
LOL they're like vampires, man... never invite them in!

I'm still snorting. Thankfully no coffee shot out.

The officer will decide were he approaches your vehicle, not you.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
If you don't mind a short story... shortly after buying my first bus, and while it still looked very much like a school bus, we went out one night into the foothills at the edge of town and set up to watch a movie. Generator outside, video projector inside, white bed sheet hung across the aisle as a projection screen. We weren't there long before there came a knock -- an officer from the local police department who thought things looked a little curious (rightfully so, in hind sight!) and wanted to ask a few questions. My experience with that particular officer was that even though I opened the door to talk, he remained outside until I asked if he wanted to come in. (I know, and even knew then, one shouldn't do that.. but I did anyway for some reason.)

In my current build there isn't any door at the front on either side. I guess what I'd do is watch in the mirrors to see whether the officer picks the left or right side, and move (if necessary) to open a sliding window on the side the officer approaches.

Supposing you have a functioning and accessible window just behind your front door I think it'd be reasonable to interact through that instead of opening the door. Just as with a passenger car, the officer may feel more secure if you don't open any doors and instead interact through a window.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I always like cops, but these days when I approach one they have their hand on their pistol. Cops think I look like a criminal, and criminals think I look like a cop. Actually I was a paralegal, so I don't consider myself to be dangerous. Maybe stupid dangerous, but not intentionally dangerous.
Think about how you would feel if you were stopping a bus and not being able to see what probably multiple people are doing inside the bus. Personally I would wait until the officer approached, then ask if it's ok for you to exit the bus with your registration and insurance documents. You can also put both hands out the drivers window so they can see you're empty handed. If it's raining he probably won't stand around that long. On the other hand, most people with buses aren't the dangerous type.
Why do we see motorcycle cops primarily on rainy days? That's some angry cops, and rightfully so.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
I've been pulled over once in my bus. I went through a questionable yellow light. He was coming from ahead on the opposite lane. Right as he passed my driver window, he turned on his lights and whipped a u-turn. I seen him, and just pulled over completely off the highway, on the shoulder. The same question I had in my head was what side he was coming to. He came to the passenger side main door. So I just opened the door. He did not even try to come in, asked a couple questions, then told me that he pulled me over because I was dragging a cord. I hopped out and looked. Sure enough it was my electric cord. I thanked him and he was on his way. He even offered me a few suggestions on where I could replace it, before I got to where we were camping. Since then, I added a plug on the bus and no longer have a fixed cord.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:28 AM   #7
Bus Geek

nowadays, I sit in place and just see what will happen

I personally would never just get up and wander around the bus and surprise him/her with a door suddenly opening up, that is just me wearing my tin foil hat

also the bus is your home/Castle (depending on the state) and they are not allowed inside unless invited, like vampires if they have permission then all bets are off, they still may need a search warrant to "explore" your home...varies by state and locale

I don't have anything to hide, and don't do shady stuff

still, do not invite the man into your life, period
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
1st thing is you no longer have any rights in america. law enforcement is out of control in this country.drive nice,be nice and hope you dont get.can someone explain to me how you can get pulled over for no seat belt while you watch people go by on a motorcycle? its not about safety, its about control and revenue. i m o of course
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
that is just me wearing my tin foil hat
Hey, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Bus Geek

It's not paranoia if they really are after you.

Ok, yeah that does sound kind of paranoid.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Hey, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
it is not that I am paranoid, it is for EMP and radar protection from the FEMA trains....dugh....

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Record everything, after my last encounter that's what I'm going to do.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
it is not that I am paranoid, it is for EMP and radar protection from the FEMA trains....dugh....

Tin foil hats are also good for stopping aliens from reading your mind.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Record everything, after my last encounter that's what I'm going to do.
I, too, have been meaning to do this. I can honestly say that I've never had any real problems with my cop interactions, but we all see and hear of all sorts of injustice happen to other folk.
There have been a few times where I was put off by the officer's incriminating 'tone' and use of words, though. I would have liked to have those times on tape to register a believable complaint at the local police office.

What happened during your last encounter, may I ask?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I agree, record.. I plan to outfit my bus with a couple cameras.. rear reversing cam for sure.. and then audio / video cam for one.. i can dictate ideas to it.. but also in case of accident or encounter I have it on tape... and I will leave it on as deterrent to theives or vandals..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
I, too, have been meaning to do this. I can honestly say that I've never had any real problems with my cop interactions, but we all see and hear of all sorts of injustice happen to other folk.
There have been a few times where I was put off by the officer's incriminating 'tone' and use of words, though. I would have liked to have those times on tape to register a believable complaint at the local police office.

What happened during your last encounter, may I ask?
It was a couple months ago & Saturday night about 10 min. To midnite, I was going home from work driving down the residential street doing 25 mph which is what the speed limit is came to a 4 way stop & came to full stop. .saw two cops sitting about 50 yards down the street in the dark in one car, signaled & made a left turn then they came flying up on me & lit me up. Their reason for stopping me,

" Since your obeying the law it gives them reasonable suspicion that I'm driving under the influence"
Old 04-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #17
Bus Geek

That's abuse of authority. People like that are usually psychologically dangerous to an extent.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's abuse of authority. People like that are usually psychologically dangerous to an extent.
That's why ever sense I keep my phone charged & handy, if I had recorded that I would have filed a 4th amendment violation.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
That's why ever sense I keep my phone charged & handy, if I had recorded that I would have filed a 4th amendment violation.

No 4th Amendment violation. They pulled you over because you have shifty eyes.

You Gotta Let Me Fly