Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar t444
Rated Cap: 71 miserable kids
Questions on a potential purchase of 2001 International Amtran

Hello Bus Enthusiasts! This is my first thread. I just joined after a few hours of reading very interesting and informative posts on all sorts of subjects.
I've pondered a bus/RV conversion for awhile and have yet to purchase one. After lots of online looking, I came across a 2001 International Amtran with 91,xxx miles on it. Tires are average and it has an automatic tranny behind a DT466. It's an air brake bus. My question here - is this bus worth looking at and what specifically is a concern point on this model? It's not far from my house so an afternoon after work going to look at it is very trivial. I'm not a fan at all of the automatic transmission and I'm not jumping for joy over the motor (since it's not a Cummins...every diesel should be a Cummins.) Any input good or bad is very welcomed. I want to learn from people who have been down this road. Thank you in advance and I look forward to chatting with many other enthusiasts!

D.J. Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd rather have the DT's any day!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
The DT466 is every bit as good as a Cummins 5.9 or 8.3 at the end of the day. I will say that International motors lost some points with me on the computerized versions of their engines, which that is. A 5.9 cummins cant be inframed, but a DT466 can. Im an International guy but, I think the mechanical 8.3 Cummins is one of the best motors built for large school buses. Now, if you have the 250hp version of the mechanical DT466 in a 9-12 window bus, I'd probably have to opt for the DT for the size, weight, and fuel savings.

That automatic is probably an Allison and you really can't go too wrong. Of course a stick has advantages, but an auto is definitely nice sometimes. Stick shift buses are quite rare in a lot of the country. At that mileage whatever is in there should have a lot left to give. Hopefully its a unit with overdrive(s) and a lockup converter. If it is, that would be a big selling point for me.

I like the Amtrans I know from the mid 90's and the two we currently own are really solid buses. They have under belly storage and air suspensions. They ride great and have above average headroom. The steel seems good enough to me

What's the asking price? I'd say 6,000 retail maybe depending on the tires---could go up or down a lot on that.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

The asking price is 2,200. Its from a dealership. It is an 11 window setup and it's on spring suspension. This dealership has a few manual transmission models but all of them have the old 5 star wheels as opposed to solid 22.5 rims. I mess with old peterbilts and have worked enough with old 5 star daytons to not want them. Give and take I guess.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd rather have the Daytons. And, of course, the DT...

I love my Allison 643 and would prefer it to a manual. It pulls really well and the shifts feel great! The turbo stays spooled and when it shifts to second and third it feels sooooo right.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
If it's rust free and that is the actual mileage, at 2200 its a good deal--thats really low. You almost cant go wrong!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Great! It's worth a look then. I want to see and drive one of those stick shift buses with the daytons too. I think I could live with the daytons more than the auto tranny. Maybe I'm just too old school for my 31 years, I just like sticks more. Heck, I'd have a Road Ranger 13 double over if it was up to me. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
If your set on Cummins, Public Surplus just started a Washington state Auction
that has 6 1997 Bluebird All Americans with C8.3 mechanical Cummins engines
and MD3060 Allison transmissions. They also have under belly storage and appear
to be rust free. That's if your in the mood for a long trip