Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
would I at times Love to have someone travel with me? sure I would.. though screamin,cryin, pooping, rugrats wouldnt be my choice.. nevertheless yeah at times it would be nice to travel and talk about whats going on.. of course as a single gay man abused and disowned by his family that wont happen anytime soon.

as a kid our roadtrips were usually across the country.. from ohio to colorado, utah, wyoming, nevada, arizona, california, etc.. typically we blasted our way to denver or colorado springs and then did all kinds of cool stuff from there..

that blasting part.. that 1300 miles were dad drove it with mom straight through... night and day... all in an international scout.. Luxury? yeah we had A/C.. and AM-FM..

during the day we stopped some to sight see a little and of course to eat real meals.. going through missouri and kansas there really wasnt much to see... so I know we bugged the crap out of day "when can we see the mountains?? are we there yet.. we are bored.. hey he took my seatbelt.. hey he is kicking my leg...!".. then we got bored and go to sleep... sometimes a cool storm came along or we got to see neat cars.. then came the night..... no stops for meals or sight-seeing or such.. just a rest area to pee and get a drink of water.... yeah the night... where we were wide awake now.... really bugging the crap out of dad.. nothing to see out of the black windows except maybe a lightning bolt 400 miles ahead..

TV wouldve made things a lot smoother....

I get it... yeah thats one reason I got another bus.. after I let a beautiful Bluebird I started to build sit forlorn in a garage untouched for 6 years.. finally destroyed by 2 fools with a gascan and a chevelle...

yeah my way of roadtripping in the last 3 months has completely changed... I used to run those marathon runs... 1000 miles in a clip at 75-80 the whole time... but no! not in a bus i dont... my new bus drives 60 like a champ.. my "new" bus is old so it sways a bit at 70, the DT-360 strains if floored 100% of the time.. theres bump-steer and rattles and squeaks and bounce and other things that make a little guy like me get a tad tired a bit quicker.. so yeah my bus stops.. a lot... I am experiencing more diners and little greasy spoons than ever before... after all its not nearly so easy to put a burger-king bag on the dash of a bus and drive with the knees as in a brand new silverado.. so i stop and eat.. well if im going to go sit down and eat.. its not gonna likely be burger king.. also not gonna run a skoolie through a starbucks drive-through so ive been finding more Local coffee shops along my trips... often the Bluetooth speaker is off so i can hear the Diesel engine... I often open the windows.. (admittedly I'll usually continue to blast the A/C on my body even when the windows are open)

BUT .on my trip from st pete to C-bus the other day when that phone call came in from my biz partner that we needed to have a pretty impromptu conference call, webinar, and video conference.. I saw that "rest area 1 mile" sign... pulled off.. popped up my work surface copped a squat on a skoolie seat, left her idle in the 97 degree heat with 65k BTU of A/C.. kicked on my DUAL aggregated LTE hotspots and bam!! did business right there right then.. from some who-knows-where in northern georgia... (and got great Kudos from the customer who saw my background as a school-bus seat and school bus windows during the video conference..)...

so Yes I do "GET" it... I also know as much as we drove poor dad CRAZY (he deserved it and more as i look back but thats neither here nor there)... TV in that thread's Bus just MIGHT be for those long boring Night-rides across NoWhere..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Sorry, I don't follow.
He could of gotten 10/10 if he dropped the "F" bomb a few times and maybe used an old board with rusty nails in it or maybe a trusty cactus for "impact" or "compacting"

I laughed...inside...
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Bus Geek

P.S. I do use trucker GPS... 2 of them.. a garmin and Co-pilot.. at least in the strange areas... if its a route I know the obstacles on i dont bother using the GPS.. I'll sometimes put the screen on the traffic alerts just to help me avoid jams if i can or wther to bypass cities or not...

ive been doing alot of C_bus to st pete and miami lately since ive got the new apartment in st pete.. miami is where we have a lot of sites ... I do like to see all this software and vision I create being utilized in the real world.. so I often visit sites unknown to them.. or I should say without telling them who i am... (the end users have no idea who i am)...

-Christopher
Old 08-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
He could of gotten 10/10 if he dropped the "F" bomb a few times and maybe used an old board with rusty nails in it or maybe a trusty cactus for "impact" or "compacting"

I laughed...inside...
Old 08-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of "less TV and more conversation".

We do that at home. Given we do not have cable, satellite or OTA reception.

However.....

Try spending 3 weeks in your bus with six kids and NO TV. Especially traveling in Northern climates in the Winter.

As much as I do agree with the merit of actually interacting, talking, playing cards etc. I would not look forward to long travels without the ability to play the occasional DVD for the kids.

I do not condone using the TV as a babysitter for hours a day but find having it available for an hour or two here and there can be a good thing.

Just my $0.02 worth

Good discussion!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
Bus Geek

at risk of creating a massive conflagration.. I dare say I wonder at times why some couples choose to have kids at all when they work careers that have them almost never home with the kids.. (families started AFTER the careers...)...
and the kids spend almost all their time on the XboX and TV

-Christopher
Old 08-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

When I was a kid we loaded up the family Truckster and headed off to Wally world.4 kids and 2 adults crammed in the car with no A/C.I always joke that if we had a mini-van back then my siblings and I might still be talking.While we did see the world’s largest Ball of Twine & the House of Mud, Stuckey’s Restaurants, and Chico’s South of the Border, a bit of electronic entertainment would have been nice.Even though we would have only had one single DVD.
Lamacose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
at risk of creating a massive conflagration.. I dare say I wonder at times why some couples choose to have kids at all when they work careers that have them almost never home with the kids.. (families started AFTER the careers...)...
and the kids spend almost all their time on the XboX and TV

-Christopher
I may not be in the best position to comment on this as I have no kids of my own. All of my experience come from borrowing other peoples kids

I do agree.

When I was still of a mind that I would, someday, have kids I was firm in the idea that I would home school. I have friends that are raising their kids "on the road" and homeschool. They have been a mobile family since before the kids were born and just carried on. They have extremely bright, well adjusted and well behaved kids.

My own observation has been that parents that spend significant time with their kids, especially doing learning activities, generally have the brightest and best behaved kids. The ones that depend on public schools and cable TV to raise their kids are less likely to have the same outcome.

Should I put on my flameproof suit now?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:

I myself use a Fancy GPS unit because I dont want to be one of the fools caught at a (9'5") bridge trying to back my way out... alas the interstates are also pretty safe against that too...

-Christopher
Thusly the exact reason I trust trucker's atlases above all else. Old school? You bet! However, those pieces of gold do not require electricity to work. I'll take a trucker's atlas over a GPS any day and twice on Sundays........ Well worth the $50 investment.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
.... I dare say I wonder at times why some couples choose to have kids at all when they work careers that have them almost never home with the kids..

-Christopher
Without us the kids could of ended up overseas in the middle east.......or eaten in a central American restaurant

So we "saved" them, as long as they have water, food and get brushed once a day, they seem happy...

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote