Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Thusly the exact reason I trust trucker's atlases above all else. Old school? You bet! However, those pieces of gold do not require electricity to work. I'll take a trucker's atlas over a GPS any day and twice on Sundays........ Well worth the $50 investment.

Worth $50?

Well..... If it would have saved me from backing a 40' Eagle up a full block in downtown Denver at 5:00pm on a Friday night because of an 12' clearance bridge I probably would have paid more........

The people there were very supportive. They waved and honked their support.

But can someone please tell my why the people in Denver only use one finger when they wave?

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Worth $50?

Well..... If it would have saved me from backing a 40' Eagle up a full block in downtown Denver at 5:00pm on a Friday night because of an 12' clearance bridge I probably would have paid more........

The people there were very supportive. They waved and honked their support.

But can someone please tell my why the people in Denver only use one finger when they wave?
They were telling you that your #1
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
I disagree with the staying off interstates part, I had to drive across Nebraska in my bus last year, and theres nothing to see there interstate or not, so you might as well use it to get across the cornfields more quickly lol
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Arthritis?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I didnt even know trucker's atlas's existed..

but YES even a technology guy like me does carry an atlas.. not because I feel like the GPS will failme.. but rather I do still enjoy paging through states and drawing on the roads with a pink Hi-Liter.......

i'll have to get me one of the trucker ones now that I know they exist!

im a huge fan of HomeSchooling.. AS LONG AS the kids get some social interaction and are not over-protected by the family unit...

my nextdoor neighbor home-schooled her 4 girls ... she always took them out and about to social and sporting events.. music lessons at hone and then music ensemble groups out.. turns out there are all kinds of intramurals, sports, bands, etc for Home-schooled kids so that they can get societal and social interaction.. fantastic..

the one around the block didnt do that... the parents are so protective that the poor kids are having all kinds of trouble trying to get into college, get jobs... even something as simple as going out to eat and interacting with a server is rough.. they are Brilliant!! minded.. smarter than I'll ever hope to be.. but with no skills to live in the real world and no aspiration to really do so I fear they will never realize their potential...

im not sure how it works being mobile all the time.. but my guess is meeting new people is a way of life when you live in a skoolie and travel all over... as well as being close with family and getting a solid education.. seems like a good combination to me..
I know just being single and drivng the skoolie around town or the country I meet all kinds of new people... school busses fascinate people.. and they say hey.. and ask questions... its totally cool!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

but YES even a technology guy like me does carry an atlas.. not because I feel like the GPS will failme.. but rather I do still enjoy paging through states and drawing on the roads with a pink Hi-Liter.......

im a huge fan of HomeSchooling.. AS LONG AS the kids get some social interaction and are not over-protected by the family unit...

my nextdoor neighbor home-schooled her 4 girls ... she always took them out and about to social and sporting events.. music lessons at hone and then music ensemble groups out.. turns out there are all kinds of intramurals, sports, bands, etc for Home-schooled kids so that they can get societal and social interaction.. fantastic..

the one around the block didnt do that... the parents are so protective that the poor kids are having all kinds of trouble trying to get into college, get jobs... even something as simple as going out to eat and interacting with a server is rough.. they are Brilliant!! minded.. smarter than I'll ever hope to be.. but with no skills to live in the real world and no aspiration to really do so I fear they will never realize their potential...

im not sure how it works being mobile all the time.. but my guess is meeting new people is a way of life when you live in a skoolie and travel all over... as well as being close with family and getting a solid education.. seems like a good combination to me..
I know just being single and drivng the skoolie around town or the country I meet all kinds of new people... school busses fascinate people.. and they say hey.. and ask questions... its totally cool!

-Christopher
Any self-respecting truck stop has them. I prefer the Rand-McNally Trucker's Atlas myself. The atlas has all the roads that allow vehicles with high profiles up to 13' 6" and heavy weights (#26,001 and higher) highlighted as well as weight restricted and low clearance bridges among many features that make driving less stressful.

M
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
OK, I started this as a reply to someone elses post but don't want to take over that post. I'm going to show my age here and probably upset people but, why do you feel the need to have TV while you are moving? Or in the bus at all? If it's to entertain kids why not just set them in front of a TV at home and not go anywhere? Isn't the point of taking trips/going/places/camping, to see and experience new things? When I was a kid and when my kids were young, we played games, talked about what we were seeing, learned how to read map etc.

A trip is an adventure. It shouldn't just be about whatever activity you have planned upon arrival. THERE ARE WINDOWS IN YOUR BUS. When I was 10 dad said we're going to Florida, here are maps for each state (gas stations maps were free and usually quite up to date), plan a route. I'm sure he checked on things but, I planned and navigated a trip from Indiana to Florida, there weren't any interstate hiways. Which brings up another point.

GET OFF THE INTERSTATES. You can't see anything. I have a million and a half miles in a truck, mostly interstate driving, but even then if there was another way to get somewhere I took state hiways, it's so much more interesting and much less boring.

My son and his wife don't have a TV in their bus either, he drives, she navigates, everyone talks to each other. We just got home from a trip, two buses, neither one of us tend to take the same route home that we used going and we both have fancy GPS units. My wife can't see a map very well anymore so my sons wife navigated. There were a lot of detours, and one small breakdown, but even with stopping for lunch and one stop at a store it still only took about 2 hours longer than the interstate route would have.

I have been married to the same lovely lady for 47 years, we still talk, and laugh (mostly at me and stupid stuff I do) I watch TV in the evenings, mostly because that's what she likes to do and I pretty much spend evenings with her. When we're in the bus in the evenings we talk, play games (I hate that) and spend time doing things with each other that we don't normally do.

The point I'm trying to make is. Use your bus/RV/camper/tent to spend time with wife/kids/friends. Kids do NOT need 100% of their time with electronic gratification. They also do not need to be entertained 100% of the time. I can't recall that my kids ever said "I'm bored" they learnde to entertain themselves by DOING things. Teach them to look out, see what is around and learn about more than what is on some little screen. I like gadgets and I have a lot of them, heck, there are 3 computers in the bus. I use them all the time to learn more about what we are seeing.

Rant basically over, although I reserve the right to add as I think of things.

Dick
I wanna party with this guy!!!!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
The dumysfunctiobal kids were raised by what they've termed "helicopter parent"

Seems like it's a challenge for them to dirty toilet paper on their own!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
The dumysfunctiobal kids were raised by what they've termed "helicopter parent"

Seems like it's a challenge for them to dirty toilet paper on their own!
ha! that would nail it! never knew the term.. I took a few neighborhood kids (and more parents).. for a school bus ride a few weeks back... those kids werent allowed because "oh.. that old bus is probably not safe enough for you"....

+1 for milkmania!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote