Old 06-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

If you want mechanical you will need to go pre-1995 or so. The electronics were phased in over a period of several years. As a consequence you will find a mishmash of non-E, partial-E, and total-E between 1995 and 2001.

You will not find an Allison 1000/2000/3000 series transmission in an non-E bus.

You will find an Allison AT540 or MT640 behind both non-E and partial-E engines.

Generally speaking you will not find an AT540 behind a Cummins 8.3 and rarely behind a DT466.

Generally speaking you find most Cummins 5.9L and IHC T444(E) mated to AT540 transmissions.

12- and 13-row Type 'C' conventional buses are the most common bus made. Finding a bus of this size with the spe'c's you want is going to be much easier than finding the same power package in a good Type 'D' RE bus.

WA, OR, CA, and CO have mandated air brakes on all large buses up until just recently. CO has mandated auxiliary braking systems as a standard for many years as well.

In other words, you will more likely find the big HP buses with air brakes and no rust in the far west.

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post

You will not find an Allison 3000 series transmission in an non-E bus.
Are you sure?

I have a 1996 84 passenger, fully mechanical Cummins 8.3 engine, with a MD3060.

I was to the understanding that the MD3060 was a 3000 series transmission.

Thanks

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'll bet you have some hen's teeth too, don't you Nat? You have a knack for finding things that others of us can only wish for.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I'll bet you have some hen's teeth too, don't you Nat? You have a knack for finding things that others of us can only wish for.
Lol

It took a long time, and a lot of looking.

It also has sanders that dump sand in front of the rear tires at the push of a button for use on icy roads.

Down side Is I should have found this bus two years ago before I strted with a smaller one.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Guys, I just finally bought my bus, looking for advice/tips/tricks on WHERE/HOW to register it.

The bus is currently in Colorado, its a regular, full size, conventional, school bus. 2004 year built. I am going to get it professionally converted in the North East this winter. So will be driving it from Colorado to NY area and was thinking it might be the right time to get it registered along the way.

I will not be living in ANY particular state for more than 6 months in the next year. So I would be willing to look at changing states of residency to make things easy (and hopefully get rid of CA or NY state income tax). Which is another question, do I NEED to change residency to register in any particular state or can I just register it there?

My research says Texas or SD are best for full-timers in terms of taxes and ease of being a nomadic resident, but I dont know about the whole ease of registering and operating a house on wheels over time.

From what I read, SD doesnt allow yellow buses for private ownership, so I would need to paint it before I go there, which is a huge hassle because I wasnt gong to paint until later in the year and dont want to paint it twice. Texas doesn't care, but requires physical inspections periodically, which will be a hassle down the road.

Does anyone have any experience with this or these states? Or recommend any other states for their ease of registration, maintenance of that registration and any tax other benefits of being registered in that state?

Thanks everyone,
Jeff
ozthemost is offline   Reply With Quote