Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 GM Gas
Rear deck/porch

Ok, I've read the forum for quite a while & maybe I don't know how to effectively use the search feature but I just cant find specifics on what I'm looking for. Feel free to direct me to existing threads regarding this.

The co-owner of my bus wants to put a porch on the back, something as wide as the bus & up to 6' long. While I'm sure it's been done, I would like to hear from someone who has dome it & get their thoughts & tips. Please chime in on this & give me the pros & cons of doing this & any building tips.

I am thinking this could be done by using the existing bumper bolts & adding a steel frame to the back, then reattaching the bumper to the porch. But this doesn't seem like it would have enough support bouncing on the very rear of the bus. Would bracing from the roofline be needed?

Maybe building it so that it could be slid in between the frame members & then bolted/welded to the frame. I'm not overly opposed to building this but I think I would get more use from building a trailer hitch/receiver or building a roof platform.

Thanks

FlyingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Here in Ontario I believe your only allowed 9 feet from the center of the hub to the back bumper due the back swing....not a 100% sure but it's something close to that. Wanted to do something similar, had to change the plan.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

There are limits to how much rear swing is legal and how much rear swing is advisable.

If you really want a rear deck you may want to consider a fold down deck instead of a permanently attached deck.

A fold down deck with adjustable legs would decrease the amount of built in strength you would need.

For something extended out beyond the bumper you would need to have about two feet under the bus for every foot beyond the bus to support the weight properly. You could probably get away with just one foot for one foot but you would need a much deeper web to compensate for the lack of cantilever.

With a fold up deck and adjustable legs the framing would be minimal and could incorporate "wings" to fold out to the side to go out beyond the sides of the bus.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

I am doing a 4 ft or 6ft, or 8 ft) deck, mainly for a covered area grill/smoker and a spare tire mount and access to roof like an old train

It is a pain now using back door when raining etc and the saved inside space from tire/grill is worth the trade off

I am still contemplating the fold down approach and have made a couple hinges and sketched some folding scissor arms etc...

we will see how this spring goes

Legs are not really an option for me, at most campsites we have the "deck area" over water or over "nature" due to increased overhang compared to most
smaller RV spots we use, we regularly fit in 25 foot spots, with aor 10 feet hanging into space

I will tie the deck into the roof and wall on both sides, triangulation is your friend ;)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
We are considering a tilt down tailgate style porch. Not for sure because it blocks the rear exit/entry unless it is down.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
We are considering a tilt down tailgate style porch. Not for sure because it blocks the rear exit/entry unless it is down.

I will be doing a fold down deck off my passenger side, from my mid point entry door back. It will use the same material as shown, but all aluminum.

My roof deck will be made from the same. I may even make the roof deck have extensions for both front and back 10 feet. That would make my roof deck 52 feet long. Room for more solar, ect.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60
I had a deck on one of my buses. It really got in the way its was real good at catching road salt & grime and forget about pulling a trailer, I thought it would be cool to carry bikes with and stuff like that but really it wasn't worth it. Deck on the roof is where its at.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
I have one and love it, we use it all the time. I don't think id want anything longer than 4' though. Mine is braced plenty well underneath with no supports going to the roof. I've pulled 5k behind t a few times without issue and frequently pull a 3,500lb enclosed trailer full of DJ equipment.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 AM   #9
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
bamper, where ya get the box?
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:03 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
Local junkyard. It used to be under a flatbed semi trailer. Picked up a few more that I'll be installing once it gets warm. They are amazing.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
thanks bamper. im gonna hit the junk yards!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, porch