Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #1

Rear Hydraulic Brake Line - Help!

Afternoon everyone,

I have been keeping my eye on this one section of hydraulic brake line on my bus (02' FS65), it runs over the rear differential and is connected to brake hose on either side, which leads to the corresponding calipers. I want to replace it because I don't trust it whatsoever. There seem to be some special fittings on this particular section of brake line. Does anyone have experience changing this section, and if so, am I better off making the section myself? Or is there a pre-formed brake line section somewhere that I can buy?

I bought the bus at auction, so I really didn't get to spend a lot of time digging into this before I bought it. The bus was advertised as having a 'brake overhaul' done to it. I noticed that this section seems to be the only section that wasn't replaced. All the other steel lines look brand new, and the calipers/rotors seem to be new too. I don't know why this line was not replaced, but it has been a concern, and I don't want to do any real driving until it is replaced.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1628.jpg   IMG_1627.jpg   IMG_1626.jpg   IMG_1625.jpg  

logman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Disconnect or cut brakeline and unscrew both ends. Go to parts store and throw it on the counter and say I need this. Really doesn't look to bad, I would drive it.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Don't waste the time trying to get it off without messing it up cause you normally won't.
Cut a few inches back from the fitting on either side, pull the horseshoe piece,unscrew the fittings from the lines.
The steel line male fittings into the hose connection is all that holds the lines into the support bracket usually or just a spring clip.
The second picture is just a square elbow with a mounting flange cast onto it.
Best to replace that while you have everything off cause the orrifice inside likes to get stopped up with trash.
Take the cut line ends,the horseshoe piece and the elbow with you. Most parts stores will have pre made straight lengths that you bend yourself.
Not bad to do.
You can use the rear end to shape the horseshoe and and the axle housing,shock or similar to shape the turns to the fittings.
Or do the loan a tool thing and get a tubing bender and set right there at the parts store and let them help you bend it to match what you brought with you.
Biggest part is to check the flares
Whether single or double
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Ditto on only using double flares. If you choose to "bend your own" try to get the bend right the first time. Extra bending will cause the steel line to crack (and leak) along the length of the line. You might call Ford and see if they can provide you with the part--then you'd be almost positive it will do the job.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I deal with rusty brake lines a lot and replacing them is one of my favorite jobs. I use bulk CNC line and then cut and flare my own replacement lines.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote