Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford-Thomas
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Removing paint and prepping for new?

This bus has the standard yellow underneath everything. On top of the yellow is a mural type paint job. No idea how it was done. The roof was untouched by the mural though. On top of that, is a horrible white that was done halfway by people that didn't really understand what they were doing. The white is peeling up in many areas, because proper prep was not done.

What is the best way to get this back down to a good paintable surface? I have a small angle grinder to use, but I'm not sure of the best thing to buy to use for this.

We have decided to try the thinned out Rust-Oleam enamal paint once it is prepped.

Speedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Fine wire wheel, mask, eye protection, time, and ton's of effort.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If ya got a few bucks...sandblasting and primer then go from there. It will also remove any rust under all that gunk.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Fine wire wheel, mask, eye protection, time, and ton's of effort.

Nat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
If ya got a few bucks...sandblasting and primer then go from there. It will also remove any rust under all that gunk.
So far, scraping paint with my fingernail is proving slow.

Can sandblasting be done outdoors? Specifically are there methods of containing the used sand and paint dust? The best place for me to work on my bus is my home driveway; it's long enough and I should be OK with the neighbors unless I create a major nuisance - like coating their homes and yards with crud.

My guess is that Nat's suggestion would be easier for containing the waste.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Bus Geek

There are a couple of outfits here in the Houston area that do mobile media blasting using non-sand (walnut shells, plastic pellets, but mostly soda blasting). They show up and tent & seal the project for full containment. I am looking at soda blasting having seen it in action. Nothing like the hobby set up in another thread. High pressure commercial rig that removes paint & rust down to bare metal in a heartbeat without the usual masking since it has virtually no effect on rubber or glass. Just need to follow it quickly with a good primer.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
There are a couple of outfits here in the Houston area that do mobile media blasting using non-sand (walnut shells, plastic pellets, but mostly soda blasting). They show up and tent & seal the project for full containment. I am looking at soda blasting having seen it in action. Nothing like the hobby set up in another thread. High pressure commercial rig that removes paint & rust down to bare metal in a heartbeat without the usual masking since it has virtually no effect on rubber or glass. Just need to follow it quickly with a good primer.
Actually if you can find a company that uses Dry Ice for blasting that would be your best bit as far as clean up goes.

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Whoa!...How "cool" is that!? --- Never seen that process before.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
paint stripper then a wire wheel would make for a little less work.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Whoa!...How "cool" is that!? --- Never seen that process before.
It's been around for awhile, can strip a car in about a hour it can also be used for cleaning grease, some companies use it for cleaning the hoods in restaurants and it can be used for industry cleaning without having to shut down production lines,
Old 10-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus View Post
... The best place for me to work on my bus is my home driveway; it's long enough and I should be OK with the neighbors unless I create a major nuisance - like coating their homes and yards with crud....
I "spoke" too soon: I got home to find my Winnebago defiled with a violation notice - because it's three feet too long! (It's still a lot shorter than the driveway.)

Lest it be thought that I "should have known," this ordinance is buried in official text, and lots of folks in Omaha have parked their RVs with impunity as long as they didn't intrude into sidewalks or create honest-to-Pete nuisances. (I should mention I've kept mine at home for over a year without a squeak of protest from anyone.)

In a city with plenty of violent criminals, this dolt couldn't find something else to do.

Suffice it to say that if someone gets their shorts up in a bunch over the 23-ft Winnie, the 34-foot Skunky Bus with its lovely colors and tall roof addition would really piss someone off.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I "spoke" too soon: I got home to find my Winnebago defiled with a violation notice - because it's three feet too long! (It's still a lot shorter than the driveway.)

Lest it be thought that I "should have known," this ordinance is buried in official text, and lots of folks in Omaha have parked their RVs with impunity as long as they didn't intrude into sidewalks or create honest-to-Pete nuisances. (I should mention I've kept mine at home for over a year without a squeak of protest from anyone.)

In a city with plenty of violent criminals, this dolt couldn't find something else to do.

Suffice it to say that if someone gets their shorts up in a bunch over the 23-ft Winnie, the 34-foot Skunky Bus with its lovely colors and tall roof addition would really piss someone off.
Catching violent crimanals doesn't raise revenue, their hoping to get money out of you
Old 10-10-2015, 06:15 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Catching violent crimanals doesn't raise revenue, their hoping to get money out of you
And it is dangerous too!
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
In a city with plenty of violent criminals, this dolt couldn't find something else to do
In fairness to the cop, he's stuck with doing the public's bidding. The real dolts are the ones who equate a well-kept RV on a driveway with an old Yugo sitting upside-down on the front lawn.