Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Repurpose engineered wood flooring question.

Had a buddy give me about 600 sq. ft. of engineered wood flooring he pulled out of his boss' mansion. He was going to use it for his shop office, so he took care pulling it. (Floating floor)
Then he got a good deal on tile, so he'll use that in his office instead.

The tongue & grooves were glued.
To use them in my bus, do I run them though the table saw and cut the t&g off, then face nail them to my substrate? Or try glueing them back together? I see the second method as a PITA!
I can live with glueing the bottom and face nailing them from top. Gotta consider expansion & contraction... But heck, we're only talking about 8' wide runs... It's not like a 30' by 30' square room with huge bulge in the middle.

Only dealt with this stuff once, WHEN I WATCHED A CREW INSTALL IT NEW.

What would ya'all do in my shoes?

milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Although a lot of folks do it, I am not a fan of wood floors in an RV. Just too much wetness/dampness coming at it from both sides. But would probably be great on walls or ceiling.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Although a lot of folks do it, I am not a fan of wood floors in an RV. Just too much wetness/dampness coming at it from both sides. But would probably be great on walls or ceiling.
I understand your concerns...
I've been living in it a year and a half with zero moisture concerns, but with that being said... It's still got the rubber floor and no moisture pooling up. I know wood will act differently with extremely small amounts of moisture, but the price is right..."cheep is good, free is better!"
I'll be using 1" poly Iso and 3/4 plywood for substrate

This bus was treated differently than "school buses" where drivers park on a hill and grab the water hose to flush out the kid's boogers & nastiness out the back door. It was always dry stored on military base as a patient transport.
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey Tango, what would you suggest for flooring instead? Like the OP, I can get a lot of free hardwood T&G.

Sorry if this is a hijack
rb
rhbcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

My personal preference is for anything that is totally waterproof. Wood swells & shrinks when exposed to moisture, which, I can assure you< you will have in an RV. Whether from leaky widows (all Skoolie windows leak), tramped in wetness from the outdoors...or condensation associated with all that metal, wooden floors are beautiful...until they aren't.

Vinyl planking, rubber matting or anything that will not react to water would be my first choice. I am going with Pirelli rubber tile. Crazy tough stuff that can handle both moisture and traffic.

Likewise, all my sub-flooring is marine plywood. But then, a Shorty does not need a big volume of anything, so it was not a big deal dollar-wise.

Wood on the ceiling and walls is much less of an issue as long as the insulation keeps condensation to a minimum.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Commercial vinyl tiles much like they use in school, hospitals and office buildings aren't too expensive; and a lot more attractive than they used to be.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I did a bathroom remodel a few years ago and used a vinyl plank flooring from Lumber Liquidators. It looked great and is suitable for wet locations.

Similar to this: https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...y-4PP/10024475

We were very happy with it in the bathroom and will likely use it in our bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Bus Geek

If I had not already been in love with the Pirelli tile, I think I would have gone with the vinyl plank. As noted, the new stuff is really good looking, handles moisture easily, is inexpensive and quite durable.

I installed red Pirelli in a loft I built out years ago and loved it so I came back for more to put in my bus. Solid rubber formulation that is 100% waterproof and extremely durable.

Whatever you choose, just make sure the adhesive (if you use any) is equally moisture resistant.