Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #1

Retitling a bus as a motorhome in Georgia

I just got off the phone with the Georgia DMV, and was told that the State of Georgia has no provision to retitle a bus of any kind (schoolbus or otherwise) as a motorhome. Whatever the vehicle description given on the title when the State of Georgia recieves that title is what will stay on that title.

So, what exactly do I do about this? I'm about to buy a schoolbus from a dealer in FL (although I have been told the bus is currently in AL), do I need to get it retitled in one of these States before getting the bus retitled in GA? Is this even possible? Is it possible to just have the dealer type in a different description when selling the bus?

I'm trying to figure out a way to solve this problem, but I've got little answers. Anyone got a clue about this?

PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #2

If the dealer can't retitle it as a motorhome, then I'll do as you suggested. I have a friend that lives in Baton Rouge, perhaps he can help me out if this becomes an issue.

What costs were involved in doing this in LA?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #3

Whew, that sounds like quite a bit of work. Plus, I'd have to get it retitled in GA before I did that, which defeats my purpose as the point is to avoid getting it retitled in GA until it is titled as a motorhome.

Is there anywhere that lists the requirements of retitling a vehicle as a motorhome in different States? Can the people who have done so here sound off and say what they were required to do?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Almost There

Send a message via MSN to glock17
i went to the county treasurer and said i wanted to change my school bus to a motorhome (new titile) and register it. they said ok, had me fill out a form stating what I had in the bus, toilet, electricity etc. and they charged me $108 for a new iowa title and registration for 1 year, took about 7 minutes.

edited to add:

here is exactly what i had to do
http://siebrecht.us/skoolie/registration.htm
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Bus Geek

why re-title as a motorhome? I never did. I'm not sure what the advantages are. My annual registration costs me under $40 bucks.

GMAC insurance gave me no problem whatsoever insuring the bus. Their classification is "BUSC". It's more expensive than i think it should be, but it was easy to get. Cost me about 6 or 8 hundred per year. I can't remember right off hand, since i insure all three of my vehicles through GMAC. Michigan is an expensive insurance state.

As a non commercial vehicle you're not required to have a CDL. Some states may require an air brake endorsement. As i understand the law, if you have a bus registered in a state like michigan which does NOT require an air brake endorsement and you're traveling in a state that DOES require the endorsement, like California, you're still legal.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #6

The difference in insurance costs are significant. Something like the difference between $200 per year and $800 to $1000 per year. That's a significant enough difference for me to want to retitle the vehicle as a motorhome.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to phillip266
I may be able to help

I live in anniston alabama if you need help geting it redone in alabama let me know i will be glad to help out i know GA can be a real Pain in the ass i lived thire for 10 years i would redo it in alabama then when i got the tidel back i would reg it in Ga a quick and easy way to get around it a alabama redoes the tidel Ga will simply
tidel it as a MH being as the tidel has allready been changed over bu another state