Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Right on!

Welcome aboard!

Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Right on!

Welcome.

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question. That's not entirely true. What is true is that it is NOT stupid to ask a question about a subject you either have never been exposed to, or do not work with often enough to retain the answer in the "very most important stuff" section of your brain. It doesn't matter if "everyone knows" the answer to the question you are asking, you need to ask if YOU don't know. Even asking a question about something you think you might know, in order to get confirmation of your suspicions, is not stupid.

There are only two types of truly stupid questions.

The first is the one you never ask about a subject that is not up your alley, because "everyone (except you) knows the answer," and you don't want to appear "stupid." So you don't ask, and you aren't enlightened, and neither are any other readers who might be too timid to ask, or might not even be aware there was a question to be asked in that area.

The second type of stupid question is what I will call the "head shaker." This is one that you ask over and over again, maybe five or six times, get the same answer each time, and ask again hoping you'll get a different answer because you didn't like the original ones. Sort of like a sick person shopping for second opinion doctors who will give them an opinion they want to believe is the truth. For example:

"Hey group, what do you think about the Brand X magnisobrator made in Petit Podunkistan? I can get one online for only 100 bucks!"

Group, 5 responses: "Brand X is crap, every one has caught fire in the first ten minutes of use. You can get a good one locally for under 800 bucks."

Later:
"Hey group, I thought I would try the Brand X, because I could get it so cheap. It caught fire in 10 minutes, so it looks like I'm out 100 bucks."

Group shakes head and thinks quietly, "What did you expect?" (all while secretly hoping along with you that there really had been a cheaper way to get a workable magnisobrator unit.)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote