Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Risk it?

So tomorrow is the day I pick up the soon to be skoolie!

However, there's one catch. How do I drive it back home when I'm states away and it's about a 20 hr drive?

As everyone should know when you buy and/or sell something, especially something usually that requires a registration, you write up a bill of sales.

My state of NH requires a bill of sell which will allow the individual(s) to receive a 20-day temporary tag.

Though how would one get this when the sell never even occurred yet?

My dilemma, the owner will not (with obvious reasons that I agree with) sign a bill of sale. Which is needed for me to receive temporary tags to drive the bus back home.

I've called the Clerk County office of where the individual lives (Kentucky), and was informed by the person there that they do not do temporary tags like NH does. Maybe it's just a dealer thing and not a private sale that offers this.

I'm doing all this traveling to fly out there and can't even drive back home with plates. How else do I go about this? Certainly I don't want to incur the additional travel by paying for the bus, getting a bill of sale, to then fly back home, to get what costs only $10 (temp tags) to then fly back to the sellers state and then to drive back home.

Well, do I just risk it and take plates from my other vehicle and slap them on and hope for the best of not being pulled over? What would you do in this situation?

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
So tomorrow is the day I pick up the soon to be skoolie!

However, there's one catch. How do I drive it back home when I'm states away and it's about a 20 hr drive?

As everyone should know when you buy and/or sell something, especially something usually that requires a registration, you write up a bill of sales.

My state of NH requires a bill of sell which will allow the individual(s) to receive a 20-day temporary tag.

Though how would one get this when the sell never even occurred yet?

My dilemma, the owner will not (with obvious reasons that I agree with) sign a bill of sale. Which is needed for me to receive temporary tags to drive the bus back home.

I've called the Clerk County office of where the individual lives (Kentucky), and was informed by the person there that they do not do temporary tags like NH does. Maybe it's just a dealer thing and not a private sale that offers this.

I'm doing all this traveling to fly out there and can't even drive back home with plates. How else do I go about this? Certainly I don't want to incur the additional travel by paying for the bus, getting a bill of sale, to then fly back home, to get what costs only $10 (temp tags) to then fly back to the sellers state and then to drive back home.

Well, do I just risk it and take plates from my other vehicle and slap them on and hope for the best of not being pulled over? What would you do in this situation?
If the selling state does not offer temporary tags, and I know some don't, the usual arrangement is either a properly signed title document transferring the vehicle to you, and/or a BoS. With those documents you are free to drive a vehicle to a new home, no tags required.

As you are legal in the state you bought the vehicle, you are legal in all 50 under Kentucky's terms.

You will need liability insurance and driving without tags does increase the risk of a traffic stop.

On the plus side, big yellow buses tend to be ignored by law enforcement unless you do something really silly.

You also need to check the licensing requirements in your home state. You do not need a CDL, of any kind. Period.

What you might need is a Non-Commercial Class B (or another letter) on your regular license. You'll have to check.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I would not break the law by applying plates not registered to the bus, misuse of tag ticket comes to mind. The most important thing when you get pulled over will be proof of insurance. Here in Ga. we are allowed to drive on the BOS for 7 days. If it were me, and I was truly concerned about having a tag on it, I would generate a fictitious BOS and get the NH temp tag. I personally would not be concerned at all, drive it with insurance and a BOS, with getting pulled over (it is yellow, right) or getting a ticket. WANDER WOMAN has been driving hers for 18 months with no tag.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Santa,

First thing: Do NOT put plates from another vehicle on the bus. It is unlikely that you would be pulled over unless you do something really lame but if you do and have the wrong plates you may wind up with a NASTY ticket or even get arrested, bus impounded etc.

There is a lot of mixed info out there regarding temporary tags. Which state to get them in etc.

I would suggest that you check with the state where you are picking up the bus and see what their temp tag requirements are. Perhaps they are more relaxed. If so then get the tag when you pick up the bus as opposed to getting it before you leave to pick it up.

IMHO: Most cops will stomp on you if they think you are trying to game them. Like plates from a different vehicle. Most will be more inclined to cut you some slack if you made an honest effort to comply but missed the mark a bit. If you have a valid temp tag from the state you pick the bus up in I would not expect trouble.

Better yet, do your best to comply with the tag requirements and back that up with driving home in a manner that avoids getting pulled over.

Don't speed, do use turn signals, don't roll stop signs etc. If you mind your P's and Q's in a yellow school bus you are fairly "invisible".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
see if the seller will email you a scan of the bill of sale, you should be allowed to get a temp tag in your home state with that, also KY does issue temp tags for out of state sales and new car sales, instate sales keep the plate on the vehicle which the seller has to turn in to prove he sold it out of state so he does not have to pay tax on it since it will not be re-registered in the sate
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
see if the seller will email you a scan of the bill of sale, you should be allowed to get a temp tag in your home state with that, also KY does issue temp tags for out of state sales and new car sales, instate sales keep the plate on the vehicle which the seller has to turn in to prove he sold it out of state so he does not have to pay tax on it since it will not be re-registered in the sate
BOS comes after seller has cash in hand, that won't happen till they are face to face, thus the dilemma.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I figured that putting my plates from my vehicle would be a no go. It was just an idea, but a very bad one to say the least.

From what the Clerk County office person said, who seemed rather hasty over the phone, told me that 1) they do no not temporary tags 2) that both the seller and I will need to go in to have an official signing by and get a notarized stamp.

I'll be sure to ask about temp tags once I'm there. You get people that either want to help you or others that turn away. So fingers crossed!

I have no records or violations on my license, so driving the bus will be done to have this not change. Anything to reduce getting attention is my aim when driving back home. This will be a story in itself when I do make it back home successfully.

Thank you for the feedback!
Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
I am supposed to go pick up my bus next weekend. Insurance and any kind of road side assistance has become an issue so what I have decided to do was drive there to finish paying for it, get the title and paper work squared away and then apply for tags and registration through VT. Getting it registered as an RV and then driving back to pick up the bus and drive it legally.

I know it's an additional weekend.. I know it's a 16 hour drive, but for me it's just not worth the risk. I would rather take two mini vacations and then the bus trip will be a much more enjoyable voyage home vs hoping I don't get stopped...

Just my opinion... I have seen many folks here and on other forums say they just go, buy and drive... I don't have the experience with a bus some of them do so decided not to chance it.
JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
Skoolie

I drove my bus thru 2 other states with a tag that expired 2 years ago. Never had a problem. BOS is all you need.

Well, & insurance.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Do what your comfortable with. I drove from Ohio to Florida without a tag. Still dont have a tag almost 5 months later because I cant get insurance...
But thats a different topic!
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
GA will issue a temp. tag with a Bill Of Sale and proof of insurance. They do *NOT* check the names on the B.o.S. (so for all they know, it could be signed by you and your brother).

When it comes to properly tagging and titling, that's another matter.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Well, the airlines tickets were book more than a week ago for my significant other and myself.

So cancelling those will only add up our costs, especially since we are flying out in
7 hours!

I feel comfortable enough to drive the bus back home with the title, a notarized letter, and a bill of sale without tags.

Thank you for all the feedback! Expect a soon to be build thread in a few days!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
When I bought my big bus I brought the tag from my short bus with me. I'm sure I would have gotten a bigger ticket for having done that, but the goal was to not get pulled over int he first place. Being as it was a tag for a bus I figured that might help with some passing tag checks that a missing tag would have gotten me stopped.

Anyway it's not like you're going to get pulled over for speeding. The folks I bought my short bus from said they regularly bought buses from other states and drove them back to Miami with no plate and had been doing so for twenty years.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #14
Bus Geek

I missed what state you are picking the bus up?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I missed what state you are picking the bus up?
Kentucky!

The worst part of this all...is that the weather for the entire drive is rain and thunderstorms. So this should be interesting to say the least.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Have you looked into getting a Kentucky Transit Tag?

I don't know anything about them except that I saw the application form.

Worth a shot?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Have you looked into getting a Kentucky Transit Tag?

I don't know anything about them except that I saw the application form.

Worth a shot?
Just printed this form out. Thanks Steve!

Definitely worth the shot versus no plate. I'll bring this with me
Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MC-7
Engine: 8V92 DD 400hp
Rated Cap: 39k
I drove home without a plate 6 hours ILL - Ohio
Birdarchitect26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Well 8 hours later and I've passed two cops and three cops have passed me with no tag on the bus. So far so good!

Now time to get some rest to finish the next 9 hours!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Made it home! 21 hours later... several states...multiple law enforcement. Woo!

Now time to sleep zzz...