Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 2.6L Diesel
Rated Cap: 13A 20C
Roadside Assistance

Started out on my first semi-long trip in my GMC 3500 shortie. Heading to the first goat show of the season, following a friend whose towing 11 goats in her trailer (I was supposed to be hauling my own trailer but it got a flat in a brand new tire before I even left the driveway - not a good weekend, to say the least). I broke down about an hour from home in the middle of nowhere. I have AAA but woe and behold, they don't tow busses. So.... who to call, who to call? Luckily, the friend I was with had a friend in the towing business so he came and we continued on. Another friend recommended The Good Sam Club and I've been on their web site but don't see anything about converted skoolie coverage. Hence my question here... what service do you use? What's been your experience with getting tow companies to you for help? Who do you recommend and who's on your "do not use" list? Looking for pretty much anything you got... it was NIGHTMARE to say the least. Can't imagine what I'd have done if I were towing my 250 lbs buck... TIA

GoatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Thomas B2B
Chassis: 281TS
Engine: MBE 926 7.2L 211HP
Rated Cap: 29,000 LBS
I have the Good Sam’s towing coverage. I haven’t used it yet however asked the question about towing a Skoolie and the guy said they cover all. It also covers the vehicle you’re in even if your with a friend in their car or truck. It sounded good and for around $100, I thought it was a steal because those big tow trucks are expensive as heck to pay for out of pocket. Again, I haven’t had to use it yet.....
Tarheel Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
" I have AAA but woe and behold, they don't tow busses. "

AAA will certainly tow your bus or RV or your motorcycle. You need to sign up for AAA Premier. Just paid mine and it is $202.00 a year. At least that is what I paid in CA.
200 mile tow and up to 4 more 100 mile tows in a membership year.
Plus a lot of other perks.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
" I have AAA but woe and behold, they don't tow busses. "

AAA will certainly tow your bus or RV or your motorcycle. You need to sign up for AAA Premier. Just paid mine and it is $202.00 a year. At least that is what I paid in CA.
200 mile tow and up to 4 more 100 mile tows in a membership year.
Plus a lot of other perks.
Just looked into it, premier is $150 in Wisconsin. Not a bad deal, also kicks in 3 days after payment
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aaa, assistance, roadside, sam, towing