Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Re: Roof raise: TMI !!

Quote:
Do you have a center aisle floorplan? I like the jogs I saw in a few... more privacy for the stateroom (if you have guests).
Mine's pretty open, when I want privacy I just have the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders over one at a time instead of all at once...
Actually, I don't have any aisle, but if I were going to do one with an aisle I'd think seriously about a full side aisle, like an old English railroad car, at least like the ones you see in old movies

To each their own, but I'm with Keith - it's where my DIY meets my WTF - seems like everybody jumps on the roof raise bandwagon right away - like him I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room - but again everybody wants something different, that's why the skoolie in the first place ...
I just t saw that first bus picture and thought - dang, that's a fine looking unit, a great start and then read about the roof raise and the line from 'Coming To America' sprung to mind .- "Damn shame what they did to that dog..."

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Tom
Old 12-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
Quote:
but if I were going to do one with an aisle I'd think seriously about a full side aisle, like an old English railroad car, at least like the ones you see in old movies

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Tom

No worry about weight distribution on these buse I ASSume?
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

It wouldn't occur to me that it would matter, but I'm far from an expert.
I had pretty simple thoughts when it came to weights on my bus - imagine the bus still had seats then turn the stuff into bodies. So your question would be ''what if your bus was half full and they all sat on the same side?'
Probably nothing untoward. Just to clean that up a little - half full = 36 seats ( or however many) x 150 pounds each = 4500 pounds, and looking around here in the cabin, at all my stuff and imagining it all in a big pile, I wouldn't imagine the pile would weight more than 2 tons.

You could probably get some heartburn calculating it down to the pound if you get into that sort of thing, but personally I wouldn't put a lotta thought into it.

Tom
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd

You could probably get some heartburn calculating it down to the pound if you get into that sort of thing, but personally I wouldn't put a lotta thought into it.

Tom
Not planning to, lol... I am gonna try to post a rough draft of my floor plan later.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
Skoolie

Since I am not aising the roof, I moved my htread to "Conversion Projects"... Hope to see you there!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

If you are gonna raise the roof, don't use the top pieces for side fill... Just go out and buy the 18 ga steel sheets, or a roll if you have the ability to put it on right. I would just cut it off and scrap it, because then one could remove windows and use square tubing for uprights and roof, and then skin it, etc. If you don't know how coach busses are constructed go to busconversions.com and look at some of the pictures. It isn't rocket science, but having a helper makes the job go really fast.

As for the bus being top heavy... well, it is a bit more noticeable in the corners at speed... at least it was in the last coach bus i converted, so i just slowed down a bit more for them.