Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Rust examples and evaluations

How 'bout folks post 'some rust' photos from auction sites, and the community here help us noobs evaluate their potential?

A rustless bus is certainly desirable, but SOME rust may be OK (and might be cheaper). Other buses with a bit of rust will show tremendous problems on further investigation. I will be able to purchase a bus soon, and need advice. Others may, too.

For starters, I found this one in New York: 2002 Intl 3000 65 passenger, DT466e, Allison 3060, 169K miles, starts, runs, taken out of service three months ago. See the listing here. But I see this in the photos:

Thoughts? Worth hiring someone to go out and look at the frame for rust, or just bail out based on what this shows?

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

I would say look for another bus.

While the rust on that bumper will probably clean up okay, I would bet that underneath it is much, much worse.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
I looked at some NY buses and the rust was terrible underneath. I'd stay clear of a lot of the buses from NY. I ended up buying from Oklahoma.
nwarner2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
My noob opinion. I recently bought a bus from infamous New Jersey. It had been undercoated with some black coat. It had no underside rust except for some on the rear bumper.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
How 'bout folks post 'some rust' photos from auction sites, and the community here help us noobs evaluate their potential?

A rustless bus is certainly desirable, but SOME rust may be OK (and might be cheaper). Other buses with a bit of rust will show tremendous problems on further investigation. I will be able to purchase a bus soon, and need advice. Others may, too.

For starters, I found this one in New York: 2002 Intl 3000 65 passenger, DT466e, Allison 3060, 169K miles, starts, runs, taken out of service three months ago. See the listing here. But I see this in the photos:

Thoughts? Worth hiring someone to go out and look at the frame for rust, or just bail out based on what this shows?
are you going to use it for a moving van and then dump it? if so and you can get a cheapie bus with good drivetrain then I wouldnt worry so much about rust,.. if you plan to keep it then looking at rust along the stairs, emergency door sill, of course underside and any you find around the outside ribs can be concern..

ive seen some Bluebirds rust at almost every rivet location.. into the body metal.. that would be a concern.. I had a little floor rust on my Carpenter.. but nothing I think will cause my bus to fall apart in a few years..

from the one small pic in the post.. i would say that bus has the potential for some serious issues. but if thats the only place its rusted bad id say its not huge... sometimes busses are crashed and repaired sub-par but only show rust in one area.. those dont bother me..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote